Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very new to this - what should I expect from the gp?

(4 Posts)
ukey Tue 19-Feb-13 18:39:17

some GPs are reluctant to refer for allergy tests, especially if child hasn't had a severe reaction this is where the NICE guidelines come in. but I would ask for referral.

freefrommum Tue 19-Feb-13 13:06:55

Link to NICE guidelines on diagnosing allergies in children: publications.nice.org.uk/food-allergy-in-children-and-young-people-cg116/guidance
Might be useful if your GP isn't keen on referring your DD grin

eragon Tue 19-Feb-13 12:32:41

Yes, i would go to your GP and ask for a refferal to see a pead immunologist, if thats locally available. other than that testing and visit to pead with allergy knowledge is other choice.

you can ring the anaphylaxis campaign help line for support , I have used them a few times over the years.

Curlychica Tue 19-Feb-13 12:00:16

Hi, dd2 has had ezcema since around 4-5months old. She's now just turned one. A few weeks ago I gave her a peanut butter sandwich (for first time) and noticed above her mouth turn patchy red. The other day she had some sardines and gnochi with veg and after a few mins of eating she had red bumps (like hives I thnk)under her chin and round her neck. She's had quite a bit of fish and sardines before but I know it can take sometime before an allergy presents.

Obviously no more peanut butter or sardines. But should I keep off all fish?

She has had what I thought was a cold forever. Runny nose and cough. 3 days ago however, she got conjunctivitis, and I've just been reading this can also be caused by allergies (didn't know this previously).

My question is what should I be asking my gp for? DOes she go for tests at this age?

The thought of beginning to monitor ingredients in all food worries me but I suppose its nothing new for you ladies.
Cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now