Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Milk in fruit juice - the restaurant has admitted liability after 9 months! KIA

(24 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 15-Feb-13 17:15:39

The insurers for Maroush restaurants in London have just confirmed that they accept liability for the incident I posted about in July 2011 when many of you were kind enough to write to my local authority trading standards to press them to prosecute - which they refused to do. When the local authorities - Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster- refused to prosecute, despite having obtained a report from the Public Analyst some 4 months later showing that there was STILL cow's milk in the fruit juice, I told them I would sue. I have waited 5 months and it has just been confirmed that they formally accept liability. The amount of compensation will be very modest - less than £1,000 I imagine - but it is the principle of the matter.
Needless to say I shall also be writing to the local authorities to point out that despite their refusal to prosecute, in fact Maroush have accepted their fault.
Just a shame the local authorities did not do their job and I had to do it instead ...I shall now be raising the matter with the Local Government Ombudsman as it shows a total failure to implement their own guidelines in relation to prosecutions.
Anyway, once again, thanks to all the crew on MN with your orange capes on!
I shall of course ensure that the Anaphylaxis Campaign receive a donation as well

trixymalixy Fri 15-Feb-13 17:17:33

Brilliant news! Well done.

eragon Fri 15-Feb-13 18:31:26

am so glad you pushed. if they have accepted liability does this mean a change of label or warning? if not, this needs to be more wildly known.

am so glad you didnt give up and pushed with this, and that they have finally accepted they are at fault.

congrats!

babybarrister Fri 15-Feb-13 18:38:50

Believe me I will be making sure it is very widely known about gringringrin

TakingTheStairs Fri 15-Feb-13 18:41:56

I didn't see any of your earlier threads about this, but I'm delighted to hear that they have admitted liability.
The attitude of the restaurant chain and the local authority is shocking.

If you blog about it, I will Tweet. As will most other MN Twitterati. wink

freefrommum Fri 15-Feb-13 19:18:56

Amazing news! Well done babybarrister - a true orange cape moment! grin

babybarrister Fri 15-Feb-13 21:08:55

Ok - where do I put the whole story?! including all my Freedom of information Requests to two local authorities, attendance at council meetings, correspondence with MP etc etc grin - is there some MN blog area?

There is a MN blog area, but I dont know anything about that. I have a wordpress blog. They are pretty simple to set up.

But I think you might get more of an instant following here.

ProlificWillyBreeder Fri 15-Feb-13 21:54:10

I'll tweet, do anything to help.

Maz007 Sat 16-Feb-13 07:59:30

Glad to see all the hard work and perseverance paid off - and thank you on behalf of all of us. Hopefully situations like yours where you take a stance and don't let go until decency (although clearly they could have been much more decent every step of the way) will change how food safety is viewed and help all of us
:-)

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 16-Feb-13 08:05:55

Well done !

eragon Sat 16-Feb-13 11:59:08

I will tweet as well. what is yr twitter address? or how do I find you?!

babybarrister Sat 16-Feb-13 15:00:11

I am macondomio on twitter - feel free to tweet!

ProlificWillyBreeder Sat 16-Feb-13 15:08:51

Blog away and I will tweet, have dairy free children myself

I don't get Twitter, I really don't, but have a dairy allergic/soya allergic child. Is it a known brand or the restaurants own?

Had a battle once with Waitrose about their non labelling of non packed bakery goods. They got rather snotty and said that weren't under any 'legal obligation' to provide information, which is actually wrong as they have to give notification of allergens with milk and soya being such.

bemybebe Sat 16-Feb-13 16:03:22

Marking my place to see the link to the story. Well done OP!

freefrommum Sun 17-Feb-13 00:46:46

ilovemydog sadly they don't legally have to list ingredients or allergens for bakery goods currently but that will change in 2014 with new EU legislation. This will also affect cafes/restaurants etc.

Yes, I know that there isn't a legal obligation, but the context was that DS grabbed some bread and needed to know whether it had soya in it. There was no list of ingredients anywhere in the store and I was concerned about a reaction.

Am hoping that with the horse meat scandal that supermarkets will be more responsive as far as accountability and that people are reasonable in wanting to know what's in their food and where it came from! smile

freefrommum Sun 17-Feb-13 17:53:46

Completely agree. I've never understood why or how bakery items were excluded from the labelling laws - seems ridiculous to me! Roll on 2014...

ClaireOB Sun 17-Feb-13 18:32:10

Well done for keeping going on this!

Hazelwhirls Sun 17-Feb-13 20:06:37

Thanks for your perseverance with this BB - reassuring that we can make progress even when there isn't a food sample. It's been a good week for food allergic people - particularly in the middle of 'Horsegate'.
See http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378207/Food-fraud-Deadly-peanuts-may-be-lurking-in-your-high-street-takeaway

janey223 Wed 20-Feb-13 12:55:42

This is shocking! Well done for getting something done, they should be punished more though.

It's ridiculous what some places do. Weatherspoons puts butter on their sides of vegetables, I asked for a side of plain veg for DS and he'd eaten half before I noticed but they're allowed to do it even though its not on the menu because it says it contains dairy on the allergy info (which I didn't look atconfused). And how a bowl of veg smothered in butter is only 65 calories ill never know

brainonastick Wed 20-Feb-13 12:58:01

I remember this - well done on persevering. Very pleased you got a result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now