Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Frying in peanut oil in France

(6 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 13-Feb-13 14:47:20

Why do so many 'continental' countries use so much peanut oil in cooking - DS has been denied chips as a result!!! never seems to be so much of a problem in Blighty ....

He1enMc Fri 15-Feb-13 15:52:01

It's getting more common I think. Or it may be because we moved to London from up North (where it was usually beef dripping or vegetable oil). But the 2 places we have lived here I couldn't/can't eat from the local chippy (the posh ones anyway) because they fry in ground nut oil. I didn't notice the 2nd one until I'd eaten about 3 lots (and fed to multiple allergy DS too!) because it was barely written on the menu. I survived though, the oil shouldn't actually contain any allergens - as long as it's been refined properly.

babybarrister Fri 15-Feb-13 17:02:59

Pain though isn't it as although I know that oil is not the allergen, it all depends on the level of refining ...hmm

shelsco Sat 16-Feb-13 15:27:29

My ds is also often unable to have chips, not because groundnut oil was used for frying but due to the cross contamination issue in that products containing nuts may have been fried in the same oil. We have ended up buying the little boxes of microchips and taking them to restaurants so they can stick them in the microwave. Not the same at all I know, but Ds would rather have microchips than no chips!! I can't say I like using them but there doesn't seem to be much choice as without them Ds can't have chips!

MistyB Sun 17-Feb-13 21:08:18

Is this common in France? I have never thought to ask and am now wondering about suspected reactions this week.

babybarrister Sun 17-Feb-13 21:16:51

Yes v common

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now