Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

egg and wheat free yorkshire puddings ..

(19 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Thu 31-Jan-13 22:30:56

We're currently having to exclude milk, soya, egg and wheat from ds diet. It's pretty hard going. We're 4 days in and so far I'm struggling to make yorkshires and gravy. Any advice gratefully received. I've googled egg free yorkshires and they're made with just flour and milk?? I've tried using wheat free flour and coconut milk but they were a COMPLETE disaster! I've made bread/buns also which were ok to toast but not really up to much to eat as a sandwich.
TIA

MamaMumra Fri 01-Feb-13 08:27:46

Aaah yes. Ours were a disaster, absolutely disgusting!
The closest thing I've had are deep fried batter balls my parents make, the shapes wrong but they were much better than the flat stodgy monstrosities we have attempted.

I'm going to get the recipe, try them out and post again.

PLEASE repost if you get a decent recipe! Yorkshires and meringue are a bit of a holy grail... I have a good choux recipe though if you're interested?

MrsJREwing Fri 01-Feb-13 08:33:16

I would love the choux recipe please.

MamaMumra Fri 01-Feb-13 08:42:30

Ok I'll post it later :-)
I warn you it has mashed potato in though :-)

Can you use cornflour for gravy and GF stock granules / cubes?

MrsJREwing Fri 01-Feb-13 08:56:48

My dd is trying a gluten free, dairy free, wheat free diet, she is ok with mash and cirn. She is off onion and garlic which is difficult.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Feb-13 11:07:11

I tried gravy with gf stock cube and his gf yorkshire mix (made with gf wf flour not corn flour) .. it was just like chicken soup! I'll try corn flour but not sure it'll be much different.. I'm finding excluding the eggs from recipes the most challenging ..
mama ... mash in choux ??? ... I'll take your word that it's good wink Will try it though. Mind I'm not sure what to make with it as ds can't have chocolate, cream etc ...

MrsJREwing Fri 01-Feb-13 12:25:52

There is dairy free chocolate and can your dc have lacto free products?

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Feb-13 13:47:40

ds can't have soya (or milk, egg, wheat) - this is in a lot of lacto free products...

Ilisten2theradio Fri 01-Feb-13 17:14:01

Gravy - fry an onion, add a suitable stock cube ( I think know are ok but double check) and boiling water use cross and blackwell gravy browning and thicken with cornflour. If cooking meat add the meat juices.

I have never managed an egg free yorkshire let alone an egg and dairy free one (but using GF bread flour when baking is good for a lot of things - and add xantham gum). <<watches with interst for ideas and awaits the choux recipe>>

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Feb-13 19:38:28

thanks, i'll try the gravy, fingers crossed! .. where would i find xantham gum and what does it do??

MamaMumra Fri 01-Feb-13 20:07:28

Ok the choux recipe from "the vegan boulangerie"

Makes 600g

350ml water
25g vegan / dairy free margarine
175g gluten free flour
100g mashed potatoes (more precisely 100g potatoes, boiled and mashed)
2 teaspoons GF baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar

1) mix flour and baking powder and set aside
2) mix 100ml water and mashed potatoes and set aside
3) put 250ml water, margarine, salt(?? Ingredients list doesn't mention salt...) and sugar in a large pan. Bring to the boil whilst stirring till margarine is melted.
4) remove from heat. Add flour mixture and mix with a spoon until the dough forms a smooth ball.
5) cook over a low heat, stir occasionally.
6) remove from heat. With a food processor / hand mixer / wooden spoon, mix in half the potato mixture until combined. Then add the rest of the potato mixture until combined.

Use in recipes requiring choux pastry

DISCLAIMER: I haven't made this yet and I use wheat flour so you may need to use something extra as a binding agent (a little xantham gum?)

I meant to make DS (dairy and egg allergy) profiteroles but haven't had the inclination after I bought the book.
Happy baking though smile

MamaMumra Fri 01-Feb-13 20:08:13

Xantham gum in the free from / allergy section of a supermarket

MamaMumra Fri 01-Feb-13 20:33:59

Soya cream or even soya too whipped rice cream in a can. Also you can get dairy free 'milk' chocolate in sainsburys.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Feb-13 22:14:49

mama Thanks for the recipe. We can't use soya ... all the free from chocolate I've seen has soya in ... sad

MamaMumra Sat 02-Feb-13 07:10:11

Sorry frazzled I didn't read your post properly. Avoiding soya makes things harder, it's everywhere!

I've made a really lovely, but very dark chocolate sauce by heating equal amounts of cocoa powder, water and honey / golden syrup together.

this recipe for chocolate pudding looks great and is soya, dairy and gluten free

this website does very grown up chocolate but have a search function for soya/GF/df chocolate

soya free chocolate here

MamaMumra Sat 02-Feb-13 07:13:51

coconut whipped cream df/GF/ sits free

I'll stop with the spamming now!

Ilisten2theradio Sat 02-Feb-13 14:12:16

I think that Green and blacks and sainsburys dark belguim chocolate used to be soya free and dark chocolate doesn't have dairy. you would need to check the ingredients to check they havn't changed them though.
(just the cocoa which DS is allergic to)

Sokmonsta Sat 02-Feb-13 17:43:37

Check ocado. I have a relative who is egg, dairy, soya, gluten and wheat free. We've found a fair bit on there which has helped out no end. That, and endless haribo!

frazzledbutcalm Sun 03-Feb-13 20:49:18

Oh thankyou all!! Will check all these places!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now