Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds having an egg challenge tomorrow

(14 Posts)
cedmonds Sun 13-Jan-13 20:08:25

Ds is having an egg challenge tomorrow and Tuesday has anyone dc had it done or now what happens? I'm dreading it last time he had egg as a baby he ended up in an ambulancesad

babybarrister Sun 13-Jan-13 20:39:57

that certainly should not happen - they will do a skin prick test first and then give very tiny amounts of presumably baked egg product every 40 mins - it is v boring so take some toys and |DVDs ! after each amount all of the vitals are taken ie blood pressure, oxygen etc ...

good luck

cedmonds Sun 13-Jan-13 20:45:04

HI
Thanks he had the Rast testing done at GOSH and the challenge is being done at our local hospital. I didn't know they gave him egg every 40 mins .

babybarrister Sun 13-Jan-13 20:48:55

tiny and increasing amounts of egg will be given ....

cedmonds Sun 13-Jan-13 21:03:07

Thanks

Maz007 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:08:44

Hope it goes well smile

freefrommum Mon 14-Jan-13 09:33:56

DS had a wheat challenge a couple of years ago and it was as babybarrister describes. They initially just rubbed some on his lip and left him for 20 mins then gave him a tiny amount & left him again for 20-30 mins then gradually increased the amount each. They monitored his temp, oxygen sats, pulse etc regularly. We are waiting for an appointment for a baked egg challenge now.

Let us know how your DS gets on. Good luck smile

piratecat Mon 14-Jan-13 09:37:52

dd had one yrs ago, it was just very boring as i remember! think it started with a patch test, and if she reacted to that (which she did-red skin) then it stopped before they started feeding little bits to her.

think we had a room with toys, and a video player(that's how long ago it was). he'll be fine, just take his fave toys x

cedmonds Mon 14-Jan-13 14:17:22

He has had egg white and yolk on his arm and no reaction. Just waiting to have it on his lips. Then we are going home to come back tomorrow. Poor thing isn't allowed to eat anything and he had his breakfast at 7

cedmonds Mon 14-Jan-13 16:32:04

He had a slight reaction when they putti on his lips But they are carrying on tomorrow to see how he goes.

babybarrister Tue 15-Jan-13 09:43:24

really - they going overnight? good luck anyway!

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 10:20:07

He is having it over three days! Had the first tiny bit of egg to eat

freefrommum Tue 15-Jan-13 14:45:22

How strange! I've never heard of a food challenge over more than one day. It's amazing how different hospitals/consultants all seem to do things so differently, isn't it? Hope it's going well

cedmonds Tue 15-Jan-13 21:03:08

He manged a bowl of egg but now has horrid tummy pain and windsad so wondering if its related. He hasn't got to go back tomorrow. Just as well as i don't think he could take another day being there when well and he wants to run around etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now