Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cream cheese that is suitable for multiple allergic DD.

(9 Posts)
squidgeberry Fri 01-Feb-13 13:22:35

There is a cream cheese in waitrose, I think it is called paysan Breton. I'm pretty sure it's not got any weird ingredients.

freefrommum Fri 01-Feb-13 13:14:34

He had a wheat challenge a couple of years ago that didn't go well but hoping that this time will be better hmm. Thanks for the tip about recipes on Dove's farm flour - have never noticed them before! That's probably because I don't really do baking as I mentioned. I might give either the lemon and poppyseed sponge (without the poppyseeds) or the chocolate brownie recipe ago. Think I need a few trial runs first. Still no date yet anyway.

mumat39 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:15:02

Oh wow! Fingers crossed it goes well! Has your DS had any challenges before?

Have you found a suitable cake recipe yet? I'm sure there's a recipe on the back of the doves gf/wf self raising flour or the doves gf/wf plain flour pack for a wf/gf egg cake sponge.

If you don't have a bag let me know and I'll copy it for you from the packs have. I've made the egg free gf/wf one and it was ok and used pure dairy free spread instead of butter.

Hope everything else is going well and your DS is keeping well.

smile

freefrommum Sun 27-Jan-13 14:40:12

Hi mumat yes all fine here just waiting for a date for DS's baked egg challenge from the hospital. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, especially as I have to try and bake a wheat and dairy free cake with a specific amount of egg in it hmm. I'm useless at any type of cooking, particularly baking so it's going to be quite a challenge!

mumat39 Sat 26-Jan-13 22:49:27

Hello freefrom mum. Thanks for your reply. I somehow missed it so apologies for not replying sooner. Hope all's well with you.

freefrommum Tue 08-Jan-13 13:49:12

What about Laughing Cow triangles? The ingredients are listed here, can't see anything from your list but please check: www.thelaughingcow.co.uk/product_range_original.html

mumat39 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:47:23

Thanks ouryve. I'll investigate the rennet option. I'm after chees that I can spread on toast, and also make sauces with, so the paneer option wouldn't work, but definitely a good option as I could fry that up I suppose.

I'll call Arla, thank you.

ouryve Tue 08-Jan-13 11:34:48

It might be worth contacting Arla, who make Lactofree, so see if their cream cheese is suitable.

Or making your own soft cheese - you can buy rennet in many big supermarkets, though I suspect that vegeren is extracted from legumes, if my memory serves me right, so that's another one to check out first.

If she's OK with citrus, you can make a soft cheese simply by adding lemon juice and a pinch of salt to hot milk. Look up making paneer. It won't be creamy, but it can be used in homemade cheesecakes etc.

mumat39 Tue 08-Jan-13 11:28:31

Hi all

I hope this finds you all well.

DD has allergies to
Wheat
Eggs
Legumes, incl. peanuts, peas, chick peas, lentils, etc etc.
Sesame
Soya
Rapeseed oil
Oats
Celery

I think there are a couple more but I can't remember what they are right now.

Does anyone know of a cream cheese that would be okay or her?

We were told Dairylea is not suitable for nut allergies. Philadelphia has locut bean gum in it, so would probably avoid that due to her legume allergy.

Many thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now