Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dairy & Egg free birthday party help

(13 Posts)
DoItToJulia Mon 14-Jan-13 00:57:16

Ooooh, Swedish glacé? Yum!

Maz007 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:07:42

That sounds amazing!
:-)

Didn't do a cake in the end as dd didn't want one- not a big cake eater anyway.

Children had worms in jelly & a bit of df/ef ice-cream and the adults had lashings of df/ef ice-cream

DoItToJulia Sun 13-Jan-13 21:10:25

Sounds great! What did you do about a cake?

Thought I would update this thread with what we had at the party

Vegetable sticks, tomatoes and homemade hummus.

Ham/paste/dairy-free 'philly' sandwiches made with df/ef bread and butter

Mini chipolatas- local butcher's 'just pork' ones

Tandoori chicken kebabs- marinade chunks of chicken in tandoori spice and dairy free yog, oven bake to cook the chicken and then grill to cook the coating. Served with a mango chutney dip and were v.yummy

Sausage rolls- chipolatas and jus-roll puff pastry. Glazed with oil so went nice and brown

Worms in jelly- jelly snakes and vegan jelly.

Mixed olives with garlic and herbs.

If anyone wants me to get them any tandoori spice to make your own tandoori chicken, please feel free to PM me

Maz007 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:27:59

Some of the Betty Crocker frostings are egg and dairy free too if it helps

Maz007 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:26:10

I've found the list I made for my dd's 1st birthday (she was allergic to egg and dairy and I wanted all the party food to be safe for her).

Pom bear crisps are sometimes ok - check the packet - they've sometimes changed the recipe and added milk but the lasts one I bought were ok for both. Cocktail sausages are often ok. Ham / houmus / jam sandwiches with dairy free marg... Jelly (yum!) party sausage rolls are often ok as long as you don't glaze with egg (bit pale looking but ok), chopped veggies, jammy dodgers, iced ring biscuits, strawberries covered in melted dark chocolate.

I've made little vanilla fairy cakes using egg replacer and dairy free marg which have gone down well, then iced them with 'butter' icing made using dairy free marg, icing sugar (check egg free) and food colouring to make them more fun, and topped with 100's and 1000's

You really are lovely and as others have said, it's most appreciated to know that there are kind and thoughtful mummies out there thanks

Bagofmashings Sat 05-Jan-13 20:28:12

Ready to roll puff pastry is usually egg and (i'm pretty sure) dairy free, maybe some jam tarts or similar?
It really is lovely of you, birthday parties are one of the thing I worry about as DS gets older. I hope he finds some friends with parents like you grin

Hope your dd has a great party!

Portlypenguin Sat 05-Jan-13 20:15:07

We are dairy, soya and nut free here. Suggest finding a non-egg containing recipe and substituting 'pure sunflower spread' (or similar) for butter. I have found that is generally a good strategy.

Or ... these are vegan brownies...

250g plain flour
350g demerara sugar
65g plain cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
250ml water
250ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all dry ingredients together, add all wet ingredients and stir. Spread into greased 20cmx 30cm (ish) tin. Bake 25-30mins at 180C. Should be squigey and yummy.

DoItToJulia Sat 05-Jan-13 20:05:53

Could you make your own cheese free pizzas? Garlic bread, hummus, veg crudités, crisps, if you can make vegan pastry, sausage rolls.

Where I live there are lots of businesses that make egg free, dairy free cakes, I think they use oil instead of dairy fat, and in holland and Barrett you can buy egg replacement powder. That way you could adapt any recipe??

Good luck, hope your dd has a lovely party tea!

babybarrister Sat 05-Jan-13 19:55:19

That is very kind of you and thank you on behalf of all stents of allergic children - it really is appreciated. A good start are vegan recipe sites or pig in the kitchen or the intolerant gourmet. I would not bother with cheese 'alternatives' they are generally foul - sausages, fish fingers or chicken instead?! smile

Nicknamenotavailableeither Sat 05-Jan-13 19:06:42

I made this for a friend who is allergic to eggs, but I made a chocolate buttercream icing instead. You could easily do this recipe with a dairy free marg instead of butter.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13485/eggless-chocolate-cake

The cake went down really well with everyone too, you really couldn't tell, it got lots of components!

I made two of these cakes (so double the stated recipe) and filled and covered with the buttercream. smile

Its my daughter's birthday party next weekend, but out of the guests she has invited, one is egg-free and another one is dairy-free (neither anaphylactically allergic though)

But I'd like all the children to eat the same safe foods as IMO, children do notice when they have different things to everyone else, and I'd hate for these 2 particular children to feel left out

My dd wants a 'buffet' type tea. With a birthday cake. I had a quick look in tesco earlier, and ALL their birthday cakes had dairy and/or eggs in them, so does anyone have a recipe that makes a victoria sponge type cake. And I'm a crap baker as well, so the easier the recipe, the better

Also, I've got some Organix 'saucy tomato' rings as they appeared to not have anything forbidden in them, however are these type of crisps really ok to serve?

And lastly, if anyone has any ideas about where to obtain dairy-free 'cheese' or ideas for other buffet-type foods I would be very grateful

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now