Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.
Refused allergy testing for 9mth old ds(22 Posts)
Ah ok, why are things never simple
Thanks for reassurance. Not due to see dietician until the meeting with Paediatritian anyway, but can contact her if I need to by phone before then. We could postpone the paediatritian but we need to see the paediatritian about ds's other physical health issue, which may need referral on again to specialist area so don't wish to delay that any further.
That's great news Hoophopes! Don't worry about the dietician situation, I'm sure that can be sorted out. I'm pretty sure they can't refuse you dietetic support from your local hospital just because you are seeing a specialist in another hospital.
That's good, can you postpone the appt with the paed dr untill you've seen the allergy one so you know what support you'll get from them and ten tell the paed dr to go away?! I think dietician and dr should be separate so I don't think he can discharge you from dietician without dietician agreeing, but I could be wrong!
Success - now have an appointment at an allergy clinic, for April! At a different hospital that has an allergy clinic, unlike the one I am under the paediatrican for which doesn't have an allergy clinic. Wonder what the paediatrician will say when go (in April also), as he refused allergy tests as doesn't believe in them.
If NHS provides allergy tests and has NICE guidelines recommending them, then he cannot complain, but I am guessing he will discharge us and refuse us dietician support from our local hospital - which will be next battle, as other hospital a considerable distance for us!!
We are under a dietician at our local city hospital, but not sure if she will see us if under allergy person at another city? I am not telling this hospital until we had the allergy appointment. Guess that will take some time to come through.
Just wanted to say we got a dietician referral via the HV, hope you manage to find some answers, my DS is allergic to egg and dairy we have a bottle of piriton 'just in case' and if I even think he might have grabbed and stolen anything vaguely risky I give him a dose and it helps calm my nerves if nothing else
Glad to hear the NICE guidelines were useful. Let us know how you get on. And I agree with babybarrister (as usual!), it is really important to let Anaphylaxis Campaign know about your experience with the consultant.
My ds was blood tested at that age and it was a miracle. As soon as we knew the allergen he was so much better.
Have you asked for dietician support during testing phase? I found once we got this referral things moved a bit quicker as she was loathe to eliminate major food groups in a developing baby and child so we had more expansive tests, but also good advice on replacements to dairy etc. it has been a long haul adn tbh we are not there yet, DS is now nearly 10 .... It has been a v up and down process as we moved a long distance and effectively had to start again which didn't help.
agree with OP re: anyphilactic reactions, hives and eczema type reactions are now anyphilactic and we have been bumped up the list and all my previous suspicions re: diet are now being addressed rather than dismissed.
It may not be your thing but I have found acupuncture really helped DS at the times when he has been going through tests or diet eliminations, it seems to minimises bad reactions and his recovery times from a bad outbreak of hives, for eg, are dramatically reduced when we are in an acupuncture treatment cycle.
Ok will do that as well. Those NICE guidelines were so useful, as GP had to follow them (to be fair to Gp he agreed we needed testing!!)
please, please do get in contact with the Anaphylaxis campaign to give them details about this as they are the charity that works ensuring that the NICE guidelines on allergy testing actually mean something in practice!!!
Thank you for suggestions and support - despite the Professor of Paediatrics at my hospital saying "no" to allergy testing, just back from Gp who has now referred us to the next city to a hospital for allergy tests!!
Ah thanks for that - yes it is none less than the Professor of Paediatrics that is refusing such tests babybarrister
Contact the Anaphylaxis Campaign who have a full
Listing of all specialist allergy clinics and will help point you in right direction. They will also be interested to know who is giving such poor advice .....
Go for it Hoophopes! Sadly, most of us on here have had to fight all the way to get the right medical help for our allergic kids, from diagnosis to medication etc. Don't be fobbed off, you are in the right, not them.
Freefrommum - that is my concern, a skin reaction increasing in severity to anaplylaxix, but the Paed said it is "just skin reactions" which infuriated me. He is also very unhappy when his skin is all inflamed. Thanks for all the information - feel more informed now to act!
Skin reactions indicates an allergy to cow's milk, NOT an intolerance so skin prick and blood tests are useful in this case. I think the consultant is confusing the two. Intolerances (and non-Ige allergies) do not cause skin reactions and therefore skin prick & blood tests would not show anything. It IS true that these tests are not conclusive by any means but they do provide an indication of the likelihood of a reaction and are a useful way to try to assess if a person may be outgrowing their allergies over time (again, not conclusive, need food challenge to be sure). You definitely need a 2nd opinion from someone who knows a whole lot more about allergies than this person. Also, don't want to worry you but "just" skin reactions can turn into full blown anaphylaxis. Allergic reactions are notoriously hard to predict and often change over time. Get that 2nd opinion. Oh, and I'd get advice from the Anaphylaxis Campaign too, they are experts in this sort of thing. And here are the NICE guidelines on children with allergies just for good measure (try waving them in medical professionals' faces): publications.nice.org.uk/food-allergy-in-children-and-young-people-cg116/guidance
Thanks - good to here your ideas. My immunologist has a paediatric clinic and it is at a different hospital so will book a Gp appointment. Not sure if there is a Paediatrcian specialising in Immunology though.
The reactions are "just" skin reactions, but hives and rashes not very nice Plus reflux. An oral allergy syndrome was also suggested by the Paediatrician.
All the Paediatrician suggested was a referral to a geneticist if his hearing test comes back a second time with issues - which we will know next week. Not sure what a geneticist could do.
I would definitely be asking for a 2nd opinion. Ds had lots of skin prick tests at that age and it was very helpful. He has lots of severe allergies but some common allergens he is fine with.
You can ask for a second opinion, ask your GP to refer you to a different hospital or a Paediatrician specialising in Immunology for one
Am under the Professor of Paediatrics (referred to paed and the luck of the drawer was him, sadly!) and he has diagnosed CMPI by eliminaton diet, told us that allergy testing with skin prick tests don't work (as he says injecting food under the skin is not the same as eating it!) and told me to work out what son reacts to by doing one food at a time. He has had awful reflux since birth, trouble gaining weight until treated reflux and skin reactions to dairy.
I asked for blood and skin prick tests, he refused. Despite the fact he admits my son has allergy problems and he knows I have several immunlogical issues that could be hereditary.
Not sure what to do. Can't ask for 2nd paed as he is in charge, so will not go against him. He just said don't give gluten, eggs, dairy,soya, nuts (no nuts until 4)etc - but no tests to confirm allergies. I am coeliac.I am still breastfeeding and told to stop soya and dairy in my diet, which I have done for one month now - but we don't know if son is allergic to soya so frustrating for me!
Reading here about allergy tests is frustrating when Gp referred me to the Paediatrician and that was the only way to access a dietitian who has not been over helpful (telling me to just avoid foods!)
Not sure what to do next. Son has nutramigen which he takes now in his meals and I breastfeed mainly.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.