Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

coco pops

(16 Posts)
chloejaynemummy Thu 10-Jan-13 12:35:49

that sounds like a good idea my partners mum has to have a wheat and gluten free diet so would be nice if she could have some so she don't miss out of found Tesco fairy cakes milk free so might ice some of them as well for everyone xxx

JoleneB Thu 10-Jan-13 11:11:24

A lot of betty Crocker cakes are now dairy free following recipe change, look for the ones in the new packaging, blue box, the devil's food chocolate cake is our favorite.

for my Ds's birthday I made a Victoria sponge (80p mix from Tesco) and filled with jam and butter cream (made with Tesco baking block) and iced with silver spoon fondant icing and decorated with Renshaw "cool coloured" sugar dough and Dr Oatker ice writing tubes, I made a wooly spider, turned out well grin

sipper Thu 10-Jan-13 10:48:29

Avoiding cow's milk and sugar:

For cakes I use goats milk, goats butter, gluten free self raising flour, xylitol, eggs and cocoa powder.

(Oh, and candles!).

Cake-wise:
Tesco do an organic carrot cake (can't remember the brand but the box is white and orange)
Tesco angel cake or marble cake, or their value fairy cakes.
Sainsburys had some loaf cakes that were dairy free but I haven't looked for a while.

chloejaynemummy Wed 09-Jan-13 12:51:18

Hello thanks for ur replys haven't tried coco pops yet but cheerios we have and she loves them has then dry for breakfast with her toast its so hard when they have a allergy now struggling with her first birthday cake! Xxx

harverina Thu 27-Dec-12 17:27:00

Hi Chloejaynemummy, agree with the others about not worrying too much about this. My dd was introduced to cocopops on her summer holidays last year and its now her breakfast of choice, though she does occasionally ask for weetabix or porridge (she is 2.8). I used to be quite stringent about monitoring her sugar intake, however, as the others have said, due to allergies, I have relaxed about this. Id say that her sugar intake is probably similar to lots of children her age, although higher than I would like it to be. She doesnt eat sweeties except from choccolate lollies and chocolate buttons (dairy free of course) and she eats lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. My DD is tall and skinny and aside from her allergies she is very healthy.

However, tbh I probably wouldnt have let her have cocopops at 11 months - our cereal of choice then was weetabix or porridge as she didnt know that cocopops existed!

Maz007 Thu 27-Dec-12 08:31:13

This reminds me of a chat I had with DS's paediatric allergist when he told me that healthy food isn't the same for all of us - and used the example of Michael Phelps (this dates it!) eating 5 burgers a day which was an entirely healthy diet for him given what he needed his body to do...

It does take some thinking making sure you're getting enough of everything (including calories and fat!!) into LO's diet when you're restricted by allergies.

I'd second Greenbananas' sentiments, my DS eats all kinds of rubbish because he needs the fat. Salt and shake crisps without the salt, co-op doughnuts, pasta with added oil, mayonnaise sandwiches etc.
He's still painfully thin as he's very active, and I wouldn't let him have coco pops every day even now he's 11 (he's having half a kelloggs variety pack in his stocking though, and a toothbrushsmile). Dairy free treats are few and far between, take them where you can find them I saygrin.

greenbananas Sat 22-Dec-12 07:34:40

Porridge is a good breakfast, and easy to make in a microwave. Cheerios are dairy-free but also shockingly full of sugar. My DS loves Cheerios, and eats them quite a lot, sometimes just dry in a bowl because they are easy to pick up. Rice crispies are okay, fairly inoffensive health-wise, and most supermarket brands do not contain milk. When your LG is older, you can make rice crispies look more a bit more coco-pops-ish by putting a little cocoa powder in with the milk substitute.

DS also loves coco pops and they make a great treat. There will be a little packet in his stocking for breakfast on Christmas morning. I agree about them not being an everyday breakfast.

I often find myself compromising on sugar and other healthy eating ideals, especially when we are out and about. DS eats far more biscuits, crisps, McDonalds Happy meals and other general rubbish than he would if he didn't have allergies. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. For example, he also eats a lot of chips and, although chips are often seen as unhealthy, I don't worry about that because they are only potatoes with added vegetable oil and the high fat content is no problem for a skinny child who isn't getting any fat from dairy products.

freefrommum Fri 21-Dec-12 21:50:31

Ah, I see. Thought you meant because they contained milk. They are quite high in sugar sadly so not really an 'everyday' breakfast. Weetabix, Oatibix, Oatibix flakes or instant hot oats are probably better options.

chloejaynemummy Fri 21-Dec-12 20:45:39

Bcoz people class them a treat not to sure if they are high in sugar, I might try her with them tomorrow xx

freefrommum Tue 18-Dec-12 08:32:12

I've just checked the website and can't see any reason why she shouldn't have them unless she's coeliac (they contain barley but no milk): www.kelloggs.ie/products/cocopops/cereal/coco_pops.aspx

JoleneB Mon 17-Dec-12 23:12:08

My dd has cows milk and soya protein allergy and she's been having Kelloggs coco pops probably since she was about 11 months, supermarket own brands often have milk and/or soya in them though. why do you think you shouldn't be giving her them?

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Dec-12 22:08:40

hi there
WE have moved your thread to our allergies topic

BOFingSanta Mon 17-Dec-12 21:43:58

I'll report your thread and get it out in the right section for you do you get decent replies.

chloejaynemummy Mon 17-Dec-12 21:39:04

Need some advice my LG is 11 months old and has milk allergy so struggling off new things to give her found a thred on here and got some coco pops now iv read that I shouldn't let her have then? So confused xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now