Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could this be CMPI in my 8 wk old?

(2 Posts)
AngelDog Sun 09-Dec-12 22:47:11

I should also add that he coughs and splutters quite a bit when feeding. It was once every feed or two, but the last few days he's been doing it lots. I thought it was tongue-tie related (he had one snipped a few weeks ago), but it does seem to have increased a lot recently. AFAIK I don't have a fast letdown / oversupply and it doesn't necessarily happen at letdown.

I avoid soya, wheat and egg (among other things) due to my intolerances / DS1's allergies so I know none of those could affect his digestion.

AngelDog Sun 09-Dec-12 22:03:05

8 w.o. EBF DS2 often passes wind which leaves a small smear of poo in his nappy. It upsets him and he cries or fusses until he's changed. He has red sore-looking patches on his bum cheeks where they touch each other. He has 2-5 of these minor soilings per awake time. When he's had a long fussy awake spell during an evening, he's dirtied an incredible number of nappies in this way.

The problem isn't that he needs to do a proper poo, as we do EC (pottying) and I give him the opportunity to poo every time I change his nappy. (If a proper poo is on the way, he'll do it in the potty when cued.)

He was like this from birth and I assumed it was just down to his immature digestive system and he'd grow out of it. Sure enough, it seemed to stop. But now it's back again. He's also had a few more 'curds' in his poo, whereas before it was uniformly coloured and smooth toothpaste-type appearance (only yellow of course).

I realised today that in the last few days I've been eating dairy again after a month's dairy-free trial for DS1 (who also bfs) and I wondered whether there might be a connection there.

He doesn't seem to have any reflux symptoms and generally seems to be a settled and happy baby, though these mini-poos do seem to bother him both when they're on the way and once he's done them.

Does it sound like symptoms of CMPI?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now