Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is it p possible?

(10 Posts)
YuffieKisaragi Mon 12-Nov-12 11:51:55

To have a nut allergy that doesn't cause anaphylaxis?

AnitaBlake Mon 12-Nov-12 11:58:17

I would imagine so, DDs allergy isn't anaphalactic, my brother had/has multiple allergies, not all are anaphalactic. I think its just that because that type of reaction is so dramatic, the other grades if response are downplayed.

freefrommum Mon 12-Nov-12 13:05:54

Yes all allergies can vary from mild to severe, including nuts. My DH is allergic to nuts but never had anaphylaxis and doesn't have to avoid foods that say 'may contain' as his allergy isn't that severe. Also, allergies can change overtime so someone with a history of mild allergic reactions can have a severe reaction out of the blue so to speak, and those with severe allergies can sometimes outgrow them over time.

YuffieKisaragi Mon 12-Nov-12 15:05:41

I see, thank you smile
Is it possible to determine this sort of mild allergy without medical testing? I,know this sounds odd please bear with me smile

AnitaBlake Mon 12-Nov-12 15:35:17

Well, we diagnosed DDs allergy in the first instance, and from there sought support from health professionals. Obviously we took the suspected allergen out of her diet immediately. The tests are variable in success rates, the only real indicator is the challenge test, and even that is reliant on co-operation!

freefrommum Mon 12-Nov-12 15:44:52

It is possible to diagnose even mild allergies using skin prick and/or RAST (blood) tests but as Anita says, they are not always very reliable and cannot in fact determine how severe an allergy may or may not be, just the likelihood that an allergy is present. Patient history is generally the starting point, ie previous reactions to specific foods (keeping a food diary is very useful). Again as Anita says, the only real way to be sure is by means of a food challenge.

eragon Mon 12-Nov-12 20:12:28

for classic allergy/ IgE allergy, skin prick tests and blood tests can help diagnose allergy.
immunologists view these tests, combined with reaction history and come to a judgement regarding levels.
however when people say they are mildly allergic, its a bit like saying they are only a little bit pregnant!

thats because reaction status depends on outside factors that are in place at the time of accidental ingestion.

being food intolerent is a different body system, and its perfectly possible to be intolerent to any food as is its to food allergy.

does this help?

YuffieKisaragi Mon 12-Nov-12 20:45:44

It does, thank you! smile Last question I think, sorry I keep popping.on and off, is it possible for an allergy to start late in life? Say forties or fifties?

babybarrister Mon 12-Nov-12 21:41:35

Yes

YuffieKisaragi Tue 13-Nov-12 08:53:42

Thank you. I didn't really know anything about allergies as you see, someone I know professes to have a nut allergy. After eating out one night they felt ill and had to lie down. A doctor the person works with said it might be a nut allergy and now the person takes it as gospel that they must avoid everything that may contain nut traces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now