Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Soy in vegetable oil?

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 20-Nov-12 13:29:23

grin

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 19-Nov-12 19:57:12

It's my DS3 that has an allergy to soya, 'organic butter' is useless as a substitute as he is anaphylactic to CMP, coconut oil is out because I am allergic to coconut, and I can't use any nut based oils as my DS3 is anaphylactic to tree nuts and legumes too.

So I'll be sticking to vegetable oil, cheers! My questions were about whether places that use a soy-based vegetable oil would have to declare it or tell me if I asked, because my DS3 is allergic to soy. So it's not a choice of avoidance, it's a necessity.

babybarrister Sat 17-Nov-12 14:36:06

1789 the question is asked because I assume the OP has an allergy to soya. Please could you be a little more sensitive when sharing your views on various foodstuffssmile

1789 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:34:59

Soy / Soya is is a very unhealthy food (in our house, we use naturally fermented, organic soy sauce occasionally but that's it). There is lots of info on the net. You can start here:
http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

Vegetable oil (of all types) is also an unhealthy and harmful food and should be avoid as far as possible (which is difficult because it's in everything and restaurants use it all the time) but at least we can avoid it at home! Stick with organic butter and coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for seasoning (not cooking):

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/

http://www.naturalnews.com/029721_vegetable_oils_breast_cancer.html

freefrommum Sat 03-Nov-12 22:18:52

Until 2014 restaurants don't in fact have to declare anything sadly but it's worth asking. However, my word of warning for chip shops (& other restaurants that serve chips) would be that there is a strong risk of cross contamination as they often fry other stuff as well as chips in the same oil. McDonald's have dedicated chip fryers and you can check what oil they use on their website I think.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 16:19:50

Good. How would I find out about, say, chips in a fast food restaurant, that might be fried in a soy based oil. Do they have to declare the ingredients of the oil chips would be fried in, or just about the chips themselves?

freefrommum Sat 03-Nov-12 16:06:47

If it contained soya I'm pretty sure it would have to declare it under the EU regulations as it's one of the list of 14 allergens.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 15:54:32

I have heard that some vegetable oils are soy based. The Tesco own brand one doesn't state which vegetable the oil comes from. How would I find out? As it's considerably cheaper than Crisp 'n' Dry I've been using.

And how would you find out if the oil a restaurant uses is soy based?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now