Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone help me please?

(6 Posts)
SecretCermonials Thu 01-Nov-12 14:00:10

DS is just 3, he has always had sensitive skin, particular around his face an has deeloped a red sore-looking reaction at times to certain foods however we cant pinpoint which?! If I take him to the GP are they likely to do any tests?

Im certain its food based but I dont know what sad DS says it doesnt hurt, i give him a anti histamine solution and apply cream to his face when it looks sore, but im at a loss as to what it is... Food rection or eczema brought up by food? There is a history of both in the family.

Any advice on what I should do would be great, my GPs surgery arent always much help so would almost like to go armed as it were.

SecretCermonials Thu 01-Nov-12 16:01:06

Bump

SunflowersSmile Thu 01-Nov-12 16:11:37

Go to your Gp for advice.
My ds has different sort of allergic reaction [to unknown food we think] and has been referred to allergy clinic for tests.

dairyfreebabyandme Wed 07-Nov-12 12:21:53

Food diary! It's laborious, but worth it. Keep detailed lists of what he eats and reactions (take photos). Look for a pattern. I had to keep one going for three weeks, but it worked, eventually. There may be more than one item causing a reaction, so I cycled the foods, to try and find the culprit. The Drs would probably ask you to keep one anyway, so you might as well beat them to it and save wasting time!!

alison222 Wed 07-Nov-12 12:38:33

I kept a diary for ages while waiting for my appointment at the hospital with Ds.
It turned out he was allergic to soya, eggs, sesame, nuts, fish.
I would never have got that in a month of Sundays, but the Pead had a look at what he was eating and tested for loads of things.
I also noted when he got the reaction and what it looked like.

I thought it was milk and gluten possibly, and she excluded these too. We had replacement milk for ages, and each time I gave him whole milk after he had been on the non dairy stuff for a while he vomited - thankfully now outgrown - but this didn't show up as an allergy. Gluten turned out to be a red herring.

Some DCs with sensitive facial skin react more to the acidity of foods than the actual ingredients, so be aware of that too when keeping your food diary.
I.e. they might react to passata but not baked beans in a tomato sauce, or react to salad with lemon juice dressing but not to lemon squash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now