Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy, soy, gluten and egg free - please help me

(11 Posts)
itshotintexas Mon 01-Oct-12 23:10:27

DS1 who is 13 this month is coeliac, also has eosiniphilic oesophagitis and oral allergy syndrome and it is not very well controlled on swallowed steroids. They suggest we eliminate the above as EE is food related (basically an inflammation type reaction to certain foods that can cause scarring and damage to the oesophagus) - well, we already have a head start on gluten but he is massively resistant to cutting out the above and I don't know where to start. They will then reintroduce one by one and rescope after each. I wonder if we can do it the other way round and eliminate one by one, and scope after each single elimination. Argh.

TIA

Happygirl77 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:51:13

My ds (9 months) and I (breastfeeding) are dairy, soy and egg free as he has food allergies. Happy to advise how we manage diet wise!

Milk substitutes: I use Oatly on cereal and Rice Dream in tea and coffee. For butter substitute I use Pure, but you can apparently freeze olive oil to use as spread on bread. I am fairly sure (following extensive research wink ) that there is no decent dairy-free, soy-free cheese available sad Ditto yogurts. You can get suitable ice-cream alternative (but it's a long way from the real thing!) Sorbet can be a good alternative.

Suitable bread: some pitta bread (check not made with soy flour), bagels, ciabatta, warburton's sandwich pittas, part-baked supermarket bread and homemade bread from flour mixes.

Allergy UK has good info sheets on food allergies and alternative names for allergens (eg: soy is frequently listed as vegetable oil or vegetable protein in ingredients).

Sadly, loads of places use vegetable oil (soya) for cooking as it is cheap and can be heated to high temperatures which can mean eating out is v tricky sad

Best of luck!

megandraper Tue 02-Oct-12 16:01:12

I have just ordered some stuff from Dietary Needs Direct. You can click on your specific diet type (gluten free, dairy free etc. and they show a list of items. I was ordering from the coeliac list, but there were items on there that were also dairy, egg and soya free. Might be worth a look.

NeedMenInWhiteCoats Sat 06-Oct-12 09:44:23

Hi Texas,

I am in the same boat with my 15 month old and it sucks! There are a couple of websites that could be very helpful - http://www.theintolerantgourmet.com/ and http://www.piginthekitchen.co.uk/. This is a soy and dairy free yoghurt that can give some breakfast/pudding variety http://www.coyo.co.uk/. It is expensive and hard to get hold of but gives another option. I prefer the flavoured ones (unfortunately DS doesn't like any of them!).

The problem I have is eating out. I can't find anywhere to take DS that he can eat foods that he likes. Zizzis do a bolognaise on gluten free pasta and Carlouccios do a tomato sauce on pasta but it is very unexciting and really annoying to pay for food that I can cook so easily at home. Please say if you have found anywhere/chains that are good for this diet, I miss eating out!

Before you use Oatley cream or milk read the FAQ page http://www.oatly.com/faq/frequently-asked-questions we don't use it because we are still in the first 6 months of being GF.

Please please let me know of any miracle ideas/products you come across, I am desperate for inspiration!

Maz007 Sat 06-Oct-12 10:16:26

Happygirl have you come across vegusto no-moo? It is not bad at all, especially the piquant flavour - though it is possible that in my desperation my standards have seriously slipped! We've made mac'n'cheese with it and apparently the melty one is good on pizza...

itshotintexas Thu 11-Oct-12 01:51:13

Needmeninwhitecoats, sorry for slow reply - I actually am in Texas so there are some good options here and i am slowly coming to terms with needing to do this for him. I have found a brilliant cookbook - you can probably get it on book depository, The Healthy Gluten Free Life by tammy Credicott. Every recipe is gluten, soy, dairy and egg free. How good is that? Although I see you baby is only 15 months so challenging food wise maybe. Actually, nearly 13 is also challenging food wise too introducing this diet!

rij78 Fri 02-Nov-12 14:51:02

Hi there I have a 14 month DD and we too are dairy, egg, gluten and nut free. DD also reacts to beef, lamb, white fish and recently chicken. So far we've been avoiding soy but am now trialling it slowly in breads. And I'm still bfeeding so have changed my diet too. It is a mission but we are getting there. Thumbs up to the intolerant gourmet website. She inspired me to do a blog with baby-led recipes which are sugar and salt free. www.allergybub.wordpress.com

Hemp milk is great and it's packed with omega 3. My plan is to wean DD off b-feeding and onto hemp milk. Most supermarkets stock it - tends to be in longlife milk aisle. www.goodwebsite.co.uk/Good-Hemp-Milk.php

I also find the gluten the most challenging. It's in everything. And eating out is just too hard. Chicken and chips used to be ok but now even that seems to irritate DD. If bub can eat fish then grilled salmon and potatoes for eating out is a good option but I always spell out not to use butter.

For baking egg replacers such as Or-gan and energ are good. As is ground flaxseed. Gluten free flour mixes are ok too. I do find baked goods are quite hard the next day but freeze well and the hardness is easily fixed by nuking for 30 secs in the microwave. I have currently gone slightly mad and have bought lots of different flours (buckwheat, rice, quinoa etc) and I'm going to trial mixing my own.

I have a bit of a dilemma on the gluten front....we know DD for sure has the other allergies but have not been tested for wheat or gluten. But I randomly cut gluten out for a couple of days and noticed a marked improvement. I've now been told I need to put her back onto gluten for 5 weeks to test for celiac. I'm really apprehensive. Just one day of 1/3 piece of toast = a very grouchy baby y-day. If the treatment is gluten free anyway, can't I just stay gluten free and then test when she's a bit older? I doubt she has celiac because she's growing ok I think she's just sensitive.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 02-Nov-12 14:54:31

I was just about to come on and say about the coyo yoghurt replacements, but I see someone else has beaten me to it!

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 02-Nov-12 14:56:28

For a GF, DF milk replacement, have you tried Karo coconut milk? Some DC's will drink it, others won't, as it does have an unusual texture, but it avoids the issues of Oatly not being guaranteed GF.

newbrunette Fri 02-Nov-12 21:14:41

We use Kara coconut milk as a milk alternative and the (ridiculously titled) Wot No Dairy goes down well as a dairy free, soya free "yogurt" (made with pea protein).

dairyfreebabyandme Wed 07-Nov-12 11:59:29

Redwood Food company, who make 'Wot no dairy' also make cheezly dairy free cheese. Most of their cheese products are made with soya but one isn't. It's not so nice 'raw' but is fine toasted. Their products are usually available in Holland and Barrett.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now