Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, TODAY at 1pm x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Delicious (preferably choc) egg-free cake recipe needed so child isn't left out?

(33 Posts)
perfectstorm Wed 26-Sep-12 16:25:55

I am making a birthday cake for my son to take to his preschool, but one child has an egg allergy (intolerance?). I think it's pretty hard on a 3 or 4 year old to be cakeless when all the rest are tucking in, so I want to make her a cupcake of some sort - preferably chocolate, as it can have the same icing and decoration then. Has anyone any eggless choc cake recipes at all? I would be ever so grateful as I have no idea where to begin.

perfectstorm Thu 27-Sep-12 19:36:17

Well I've ordered a whole box of Flake 99s from Amazon today so I can separate enough to make thin "spikes" - we may be sticking the remnants of my failures on icecream for months! grin

I think the devil's food cake and the vegan batter should both work well with the hog. Will happily post photos, though be gentle - my cakes tend to taste better than they look, I warn in advance. blush

CokeFan Thu 27-Sep-12 19:43:13

You can use banana instead of egg in cakes.

mumat39 Sat 29-Sep-12 14:05:41

OP, You sound lovely.

I'm sure the little girl will be thrilled and th navy of her classmates to have her very own little hedgehog.

I'm sure you know this already but silver spoon icing sugar has an egg warning on the box. Tate & lyle icing sugar is fine. Also a lot of the silver spoon colourings seem to have egg in them.

Good luck with the baking and I'd also love to see how the mama and baby hedgehogs turn out.

smile

perfectstorm Sat 29-Sep-12 14:10:25

God, no I had no idea! Thank you. That could have been bad. blush

Egg in sugar? That's crazy.

Again, thanks so much for the information.

perfectstorm Sat 29-Sep-12 14:11:16

I won't be using any colourings at all, just chocolate, because I know colourings can be an issue. Sugar, though... who'd ever suspect that?

mumat39 Sat 29-Sep-12 15:33:55

I know. It's mad isn't it!

I sometimes wonder if all traces of allergens in random foods is somehow linked to the rise in allergies in this country. I have lots of odd theories though so I'll stop now. smile

I just made that choc cake that Haverina linked to but with wheat and gluten free flour. It's just come out of the oven and smells good. I've not had much luck with baking with all the allergens that DD has to avoid so I'm really hoping this is the one.

Haverina, I was excited to see that the cake rose really well in the oven but in the last few minutes is sank a bit. Is that normal for a vegan cake?

smile

Hanorah Sat 29-Sep-12 22:31:24

My DTS's best friend has egg allergy too, and I made this one for their Birthday party.

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7079/rich-and-easy-egg-free-chocolate-cake.aspx

I showed the recipe to his mum to make sure it was OK before I served it. I smothered it in chocolate buttercream and served the same cake to everyone, it's a nice moist sticky chocolate cake and it went down well all round.

perfectstorm Sat 29-Sep-12 23:22:29

Well, that settles it. The only answer is to make ALL these cakes and see which is the yummiest. grin

Thanks so much for the help. The egg in sugar thing makes me pale especially, and I'll check our usual one to make sure it's okay. Because that would have been really horrible. Will also google for the egg warning symbol so I can be certain the choc fondant icing for the nose etc is egg-free. (I plan to be lazy and buy the ready made for that bit.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now