Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lovely gluten free cake recipes anyone?

(24 Posts)
MissBoPeep Fri 21-Sep-12 10:45:29

DD has been diagnosed with a possible gluten intolerance and I want to make her a cake ( she's over 18 BTW!)

I usually just swap ordinary flour for Dove's Farm and it works okay but is sometimes a little dry.

Has anyone got a nice recipe maybe for a chocci cake?

Vajazzler Fri 21-Sep-12 11:00:12

I usually just replace the flour with Doves farm GF flour like you and add about a third more liquid. Usually works well.

MissBoPeep Fri 21-Sep-12 11:09:25

Yes I have noticed that more liquid is required.

megandraper Fri 21-Sep-12 15:18:24

This works brilliantly for us.

150g gluten-free self-raising flour (I use Dove's Farm)
125g sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 eggs
125g butter, softened
0.5 teaspoon vanilla essence
240 ml milk

Mix all ingredients with electric beater for 5 minutes
Grease and line bottom of cake tin. Pour mixture into tin and bake at 180 degrees for 30 mins (in my oven it often takes longer but yours may not)
Alternatively cook in a muffin tray for individual muffins (usually timing is shorter then).

VARIATIONS
- Use juice and zest of either 1 lemon or 1 orange instead of milk
- Add 35g of cocoa powder for a chocolate cake
- Make two cakes and sandwich with cream and jam

Good luck!

mumat39 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:28:35

bedhopper, do you know if your recipe would work with egg replacer?

thanks smile

Pinot Fri 21-Sep-12 16:34:17

Ooh good thread

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 21-Sep-12 16:45:24

My sister is gluten intolerant and I made her a nigella cake for a special occasion ... Can't find the recipe online now though - but I found this one which sounds amazing!

Chocolate lime cake

sittinginthesun Fri 21-Sep-12 16:49:14

I made a gorgeous banana loaf this week. Normal recipe, but with Dove Farm GF self raising flour.

I find that anything naturally moist, like banana loaf, fruit loaf etc works best. Also, shortbread works well with rice flour, as so crumbles.

OwedToAutumn Fri 21-Sep-12 16:52:08

Adding a little xanthan gum will make your cakes lovely and squishy.

I have recently been given The Intolerant Gourmet by Pippa Kendrick. It only has a few cake recipes, but the recipes in it are lovely. The bakewell tart is really yummy!

MissBoPeep Fri 21-Sep-12 20:18:44

Thank you!

In case anyone wants it there is a recipe for an orange and almond cake which seems like Nigella's choc and lime one. it's totally flour-free and usess whole oranges- liquidised skin and all, ground almonds, sugar and eggs.
Think you can find it on BB recipes.

Wordsmith Fri 21-Sep-12 20:21:36

Phil Vickery's GF cookbook has some nice cake recipes

DilysPrice Fri 21-Sep-12 21:57:55

I do a nice almond cake from Usborne Book of Children's Baking - beat 165g with 4 egg yolks, whisk 4 egg whites & fold in, fold in 225g ground almonds and 1 tsp baking powder. Bake at 170C for 35/40 mins, cut in half & fill with raspberries & whipped cream.

MoreBeta Fri 21-Sep-12 22:05:13

I am gluten intolerant and bake lots of cakes. Its the thing I missed most once I went gluten free.

This Nigella Tangy Lemon Polenta is easy for a beginner as you dont need special flour or Xanthan Gum. Polenta is easily found in any reasonable supermarket. I get mine from Sainsbury.

megandraper Fri 21-Sep-12 22:55:16

mumat - I haven't tried it with egg replacer, but it is quite a robust recipe so worth trying.

abigboydidit Sat 22-Sep-12 21:54:08

This lemon drizzle cake is amazing. Uses mashed potato (yes, really) but is better than any regular version I have ever tried!

reddwarf Sat 22-Sep-12 22:05:03

I was just going to recommed that mashed potato lemon drizzle cake. I've done it a couple of times. Favourite version is using half almonds half ploenta. All my (very fussy) kids give it the thumbs up

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 19:30:49

GF drizzle cakes are the best! I've also make brownies from gram flour here Better than normal I reckon smile

megandraper Mon 24-Sep-12 09:32:38

Am going to try that drizzle cake! Just because I can't quite believe a cake made out of potato is nice, so intrigued...

seriouslysleep (I identify with your name btw) - do you have a recipe for brownies with gram flour?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 24-Sep-12 09:41:40

The recipe is at the bottom of the link. They really are amazing! smile

casabevron Mon 24-Sep-12 13:10:00

Saw Phil Vickery make a gluten-free choccy cupcake on This Morning today, should be on the itv player. It looked delicious, and nearly finished Holly and Phil off! No good if you're also avoiding dairy or egg, but perfect for those 'only' avoiding gluten.

TheGrinchWearsStripes Mon 24-Sep-12 13:18:54
TheGrinchWearsStripes Mon 24-Sep-12 13:19:48

Oh sorry didn't read thread properly... blush

BatterseaGirl Mon 24-Sep-12 13:23:12

There's a brilliant book called Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood. It's not specifically gluten free but most of the recipes are. I have a cou

BatterseaGirl Mon 24-Sep-12 13:24:18

Oops - pressed wrong button. I meant to say that friends of mine with coeliac children use this book constantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now