Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free cheese

(23 Posts)
Brasso4 Mon 27-Sep-10 22:11:36

My LO has a dairy allergy and I would like to be able to given her cheese on toast etc. I bought a dairy free cheese in Tesco (Cheesly?) and it is revolting (taste and texture were horrible)!!! Does anyone have any recommendations for a dairy free cheese substitute that actually tastes OK?

Thanks!

thisisyesterday Mon 27-Sep-10 22:17:34

nope, they are all totally vile, sorry!!!

the only thing htat is vaguely bearable is the spreadable ones

thisisyesterday Mon 27-Sep-10 22:17:47

tofutti... holland and barrats sell it

trixymalixy Mon 27-Sep-10 23:05:33

Honestly, there is no such thing as a good hard cheese substitute. The tofutti cream cheese is ok, the pure cream cheese is vile. Any hard cheese substitute is completely inedible. Sorry.

babybarrister Tue 28-Sep-10 07:37:37

sorry all vile - we tried something made out of peas - absolutely disgusting, just salt! soya ones the same

just forget it IMO!

auntevil Tue 28-Sep-10 13:49:01

Is the dairy an intolerance or allergy? Only asking as I have ideas if intolerant.

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Sep-10 13:53:06

why is there a difference if it's an allergy or intolerance?
either way they can't have milk in any form...

auntevil Tue 28-Sep-10 13:59:23

I have 2 dairy intolerant DS. 1 can't touch anything as doesn't seem to produce any lactase to digest lactose. The other produces minimal lactase - and as such would be able to tolerate minimal lactose. The production of 'hard' cheese, such as cheddar, involves fermentation - which breaks down lactose. Most hard cheese has negligible lactose per 100g. Soft cheeses are most definitely to be avoided though.
I agree that all cheeses are vile, but for some strange reason DS likes the lactofree cheese, but hated cheezly.

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Sep-10 14:01:59

that would depend then if it was a lactose intolerance or a cow's milk protein intolerance (which is far more common)

auntevil Tue 28-Sep-10 14:38:36

Yep. Dietician was explaining to me the other day about the different types of dairy intolerance. Apparently the type of intolerance you have is relevant to whether you grow out of it - never do - or develop a maintaining state.

Whelk Tue 28-Sep-10 19:47:07

Cheesly is the devil's work. However dd2 (allergic to CMP) loves it!! grin Wierdo!!

greenbananas Thu 30-Sep-10 14:00:18

I put Cheezly in my ham sandwiches, believe it or not. It's okay if you think of it as some weird, salty substance that is not actually cheese. DS loves the 'cheese' sauce I make with it, but that's probably because he is not able to compare it to real cheese sauce.

auntevil Thu 30-Sep-10 18:31:35

Have to say greenbananas - cheesly is the devil's work whelk is right grin

Brasso4 Sat 02-Oct-10 21:44:40

Ahh, so it is not just me then! Have bought some of the pure cream cheese - saw the message too late - not had the guts to try that yet. It is a CMP allergy rather than lactose.

superoz Sat 02-Oct-10 23:24:42

No don't do it! I had high hopes for the pure cheese and it was just weird - really sweet for some reason, how could they get it so wrong?! And I agree Cheezly is the devil's work!
dd has hated the taste of all cheese substitutes, I've stopped trying. I don't think she would like it anyway as she once accidentally bit into someone else's dairylea sandwich at nursery and immediately spat it out. She's not that fussy about food either, today I caught her eating clumps of Pure sunflower spread out of the box hmm

greenbananas Sat 02-Oct-10 23:36:25

superoz, if your DD is allergic to dairy, maybe she spat out the dairylea because it tasted dangerously nasty to her or tingled in her mouth?

pinkism Sun 03-Oct-10 21:26:29

Bleugh that Pure is so dull! It's fab but oh my goodness haha confused

superoz Sun 03-Oct-10 23:08:51

greenbananas you're right, maybe she got tingling in her mouth and knew something was wrong. She did also spit out Cheezly and toasted Pure slices on toast after one bite so I thought maybe she will never like cheese - but that was probably they tasted disgusting.

thell Sun 03-Oct-10 23:11:57

How about Goats' cheese?

For cheese on toast I use Sainsbury's St Helen's Farm goats' cheese, which is the texture of cheddar.

softasshite Sun 10-Oct-10 15:16:34

hard cheese substitute is only bearable when cooked eg cheese on toast, pizza and cheese sauce, we buy the stuff from holland and barret and its ok, but dont eat it raw - yak!

esti1 Sun 10-Oct-10 15:21:24

i used to use hard goats cheese as it was not as stong as the softer goats cheese but she would only eat a very small amount of it so I stopped bothering.

UnseenAcademicalMum Mon 11-Oct-10 10:15:46

autevil, if your dc's are lactose intolerant as opposed to dairy allergic, have you considered asking your GP or paed to prescribe lactase tablets? My dn is lactose intolerant, but so long as he takes his lactase tablets before a meal, then he can still eat dairy as it just does the job that the missing/inactive enzyme would otherwise do in the body.

DS2 is dairy allergic and we use the tofutti cheese. It is available from Holland and Barrett or Goodness Direct. We discovered the secret is to melt it on toast - not just eat it directly i.e. as a cheese sandwich. It's reasonable with mayonnaise, mustard, herbs and tofutti cheese melted onto toast. It also makes a passable pizza or "cheese" scones.

Cheezly made ds2 sick.

lovelycharlatan Mon 29-Aug-16 14:58:36

Violife cheese is nice, there is slices in Sainsbury's and a block in Tesco and Morrison's, though I wouldn't recommend the Violife soft cheese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now