I probably shouldn't say this to book worms, but...

(7 Posts)
CoralQueen Wed 03-Jul-13 12:32:01

...I don't think I have read a book from cover to cover since I was at college. That was only ever because I had to read it for an essay/exam!

My new year's resolution was to read more, and of course we're in July, and I still haven't fulfilled this.

I've just joined my local library, which is a start, but I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a book to me? I'm afraid I'll pick something I won't enjoy and just disregard the idea of reading altogether.

I know people are of the opinion that the film is never as good as the book but I'm into Harry Potter, Twilight or Lord of the Rings films. So preferably, a book with a plot that I could relate to.

I'm open to ideas but any recommendations and why you would recommend them would be helpful.

Thanks smile

themonsteratemyspacebar Wed 03-Jul-13 12:34:43

Have you tried reading the books of the films that you like?
Im a huge fan of the films you mentioned (bar twilight, though i have got all the films but the books i love alot more)

kelda Wed 03-Jul-13 12:35:28

Why don't you start with Harry Potter?

Twilight doesn't ahve a good reputation on mumsnet, but I still read them all.

CoralQueen Wed 03-Jul-13 13:39:27

I tried to get into the first Harry Potter book a while back and it really wasn't my kind of thing..

I'll try the film idea. Can anyone recommend any romance novels?

kelda Wed 03-Jul-13 13:43:04

I didn't read any books for ages when my children were small and I was very busy.

I started the Alexander McCall Smith books -The Ladies Detective Agency series - and they helped me get back into readinig.

NicknameTaken Mon 08-Jul-13 14:29:09

How about the Hunger Games? I found them to be great page-turners.

lljkk Mon 08-Jul-13 14:46:56

Ask in the public library for short but brilliant reads. Good one I read recently was by Chris Ryan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now