Book for new mums

(7 Posts)
Annie293 Thu 02-May-13 11:12:32

Hi can anyone recommend a book for first time mums with advice on sleeping, routines, relationships, coping strategies!! I keep hearing nightmare stories and I'd like to be prepared as much as I can! Thank you x

Illustrationaddict Thu 02-May-13 14:38:18

I found 'your baby, week by week' quite good by Simone Cave and Dr Caroline Fertleman. Oh and 'French Children don't throw food' was a fun read, and kind of wish I'd read it before I had DC.

I want to read 'Mums like us' which is by a lady called Laura Kemp, it's had a really good write up, but I think is more of a fictional story. Good luck with baby!

kalidasa Thu 02-May-13 14:46:19

The mumsnet books are v entertaining but for sheer good sense definitely get the week by week book. Even experienced mums will say things like "isn't he doing x yet?" when actually they are applying a memory from eg week 8 to week 4. Things change so fast at the beginning a d the week by week book is incredibly reassuring. Also has good sensible advice for you as mum.

Annie293 Tue 07-May-13 20:14:09

Thank you both, I'll enjoy reading them x

Kubalai Tue 07-May-13 20:18:37

What Mothers Do by Naomi Stadlen is very reassuring, though not about specific topics

The Food of Love is predominantly about breastfeeding but has lots of other useful bits in

Confessions of a Bad Mother is a good read, and Jules Oliver's Minus 9 to One was an honest account of the early days.

bohoec Mon 13-May-13 20:26:55

The Great Ormond Street 0-5 years book is very good for sensible, practical, well evidenced advice and includes everything you need to know (milestones with wide age ranges, feeding, sleeping etc).

The mumsnet compilation of pregnancy advice is good if you're preggo (and qu funny!), and I also read the mumsnet Why Did Nobody Tell Me book - a really good giggle and very reassuring.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 31-May-13 22:50:57

I think the best bf book is the LLL book, the womanly art of bf - so reassuring and practical. Great to read before you have the baby - I read it when I was pg and was so glad I had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now