Celebrity autobiographies

(28 Posts)
Londonista1975 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:46:50

I feel exhausted when I go to Waterstones just looking at the latest books of this genre. None look appealing part from the David Mitchell one, and maybe the Diane Keaton book from earlier this year. I've read some classics - Rupert Everett's first one, and the Alan Partridge book - but the James Corden book put me off them for a while. I feel ready to read some more now, though.

Can anyone recommend any?

Londonista1975 Tue 13-Nov-12 19:11:36

Anyone?

NewNames Tue 13-Nov-12 19:12:27

I've read some of the David Mitchell one. An autobiography but also nice little insights on life.

Gigondas Tue 13-Nov-12 19:12:36

Dh liked the Keith Richards one. The only other ones I read are sporting ones.

BogeyNights Tue 13-Nov-12 19:13:11

I read Chris Evans' and really enjoyed it.

BeerTricksPott3r Tue 13-Nov-12 19:13:21

Paul O'Grady.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 13-Nov-12 19:15:43

The piers Morgan ones from when he was newspaper editor are very interesting, the insider I think it's called.

Dolallytats England Tue 13-Nov-12 19:16:42

I love a celeb autobiography!! Paul O' Garady's was funny, Alan Carr, Alan Titchmarsh, Julie Walters are all good. Think I'm getting the 3rd part of Paul O'Grady for Christmas.

NewNames Tue 13-Nov-12 19:17:06

Yes the piers Morgan books are great! There is two or three

DuchessofMalfi Sun 18-Nov-12 21:43:37

Jo Brand - liked the first part better than the second but both good.

noseyparker4ahusband Tue 20-Nov-12 18:14:58

For your info Londonista Rupert Everett has a second volume of his autobiography out now I may add it to my christmas list

www.amazon.co.uk/Vanished-Years-Rupert-Everett/dp/0349000220/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353435204&sr=1-1#_

peanutbutterandbanana Sat 22-Dec-12 23:08:30

I've just listened to Clare Balding reading her autobiography "My Animals and Other Family" on audiobook (from Audible) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. On many occasions I found myself laughing out loud as there are bits that are hilarious. After I finished it I felt bereft, as one does when one finishes a good book.

Southeastdweller Sat 29-Dec-12 22:21:14

Anyone read or reading Rod Stewart's book? The reviews have all been great and it's selling well.

Ponders Sat 29-Dec-12 22:24:30

agree about Piers Morgan

Michael Palin's diaries are good - 1970s (Monty Python stuff, TV & films) more interesting & amusing than 1980s

Sargesaweyes Sat 29-Dec-12 22:27:42

I loved Piers Morgans despite him being a big slime. They are full of gossip and he is fairly amusing in them.

Ponders Sat 29-Dec-12 22:30:38

not only amusing, also fairly self-deprecating, which is always appreciated smile

I like him a lot better since I read the Insider (& also do believe that hacking was never on his agenda. but maybe that's naive confused)

Campaspe Thu 10-Jan-13 18:58:25

Another fan of David Mitchell's "Back Story" here. It probably helps that I agree with just about everything he has to say about life.

Babybeargrylls Wed 30-Jan-13 14:54:56

another fan of 'Back Story' here too. Read Miranda Hart's over CHristmas, enjoyed it and was just long enough to not get annoying.

Southeastdweller Wed 30-Jan-13 19:52:25

I'm looking forward to Tracey Thorn's book. I know she's got degree in English so the book's probably going to be well-written, plus she seems like such a lovely person based on what she tweets about, not getting involved in any of the bitching unlike certain other members of the Twitterati <buttons lips again thinking about a couple of threads on here a few months ago, one of which MNHQ deleted>

vickers79 Sat 02-Feb-13 10:56:24

I have just finished reading Danny Baker's "Going to Sea in a Sieve".
The early part of his life about growing up in South East London was interesting and insightful. As you go along it does tend to get bogged down with talk of rock/punk music of the 1970's 1980's. So I skipped some bits, especially talk of lots of groups that i had never heard of. Quite a few little amusing, interesting anecdotes. Quite interesting, especially if you grew up in South London - and especially if you have an interest in Bands.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Fri 08-Feb-13 21:48:05

I disn't like the David Mitcgell book which really surprised me as I adore him, but felt it was trying too hard to be in his 'voice', which for me disn't translate well to the written word.

Jon Richardson's book (not really an autobiography, but an exploration of his personality) is really good.

anonymosity Thu 14-Mar-13 01:18:25

I really enjoyed the one by Rob Lowe. It was very funny, a little bit gossipy (the low down on Tom Cruise) and quite honest and self-effacing.

BOF Thu 14-Mar-13 01:23:27

Are you interested in old Hollywood? David Niven's memoirs are very entertaining- the first one is called The Moon's A Balloon.

hackmum Fri 15-Mar-13 17:11:11

I would have recommended Rupert Everett's, but I see you've already read it. I thought it was absolutely brilliant - as good as many memoirs written by professional writers. Perhaps you could read his second one!

nettie Sat 16-Mar-13 17:40:36

I'll seconded the Rob Lowe, am reading it at the moment. Also enjoyed the first Frank Skinner one. If you like crime fiction the Agatha Christie notebooks are really interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now