what non-fiction are you reading now?

(138 Posts)
NicknameTaken Tue 28-Aug-12 12:36:00

I just finished Lucy Worsley's If Walls Could Talk - great fun, very well-written and engaging. Next up is Tom Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword, about the origins of Islam.

Anyone else?

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 19:27:27

That does sound interesting. I'm pleased to hear him back on the radio now smile

southeastdweller Wed 29-Jul-15 18:19:02

It's a book about the year he spent on bail because of Operation Yewtree, Duchess.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 16:57:23

What's the Paul Gambaccini one, Southeast? I might be interested in that.

southeastdweller Tue 28-Jul-15 19:00:17

I've two on the go - a memoir from the comedienne Francesca Martinez, and the follow-up to the Fast Diet book, Fast Exercise.

My favourite book of the year so far is a non-fiction one - Reasons to Stay Alive, by Matt Haig.

Looking forward to books out this autumn by Paul Gambaccini and David Hare.

HeisenbergSaysHello Mon 13-Jul-15 23:16:24

Cocky: The rise and fall of Curtis Warren, Britains biggest drug barron

velourvoyageur Sun 12-Jul-15 22:44:53

Third Culture Kids
essays about Antonio Gramsci's vision of the state
paperback history of Islam

i like history smile

HeisenbergSaysHello Sat 11-Jul-15 21:10:45

Defending the guilty by Alex McBride. Very good read, written by a criminal barrister.

DarkEvilMoon Wed 08-Jul-15 10:28:10

Asperkids secret guide to social rules - imo it should be compulsory reading for teachers even if only the first chapter which summarises the rest of the book

Six easy pieces by Richard Feynman

I want to read The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's on my wish list but I am aware it would not be to everyone's taste

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 08-Jul-15 10:21:21

Having trawled through pieces worthy but dull on Lance Armstrong I thought DM at least sounded repentant, AnonymousBird!

(That book you mention is one I keep wondering about, please come back and tell us what it's like?).

Donkeys - my husband read that and said it is great. I very recently read the Chris Froome one and am going to read the Millar one on the back of that as I enjoyed Froome's so much.

I am reading "Do No Harm, Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery" by Henry Marsh.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 07-Jul-15 13:55:18

Selena Hasting's biography of Nancy Mitford.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 07-Jul-15 13:54:31

David Millar's autobiography "Riding Through the Dark" a re-read as the Tour de France kicked off at the weekend. Gritty, candid. He's on the commentary team on ITV4 and comes over well.

His detractors might quibble about whether this was non-fiction but that's their opinion.

crapfatbanana Tue 07-Jul-15 13:41:58

Just finished Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig (excellent) and now reading Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 26-Jun-15 18:11:18

Last one was The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, which I found very interesting.

Next - can't decide between Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane and Quiet - The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain.

LumiaWife Fri 26-Jun-15 14:20:24

I'm currently reading Divergent by Veronica Roth

I have just finished "The Climb" - Chris Froome's Autobiography, which I loved.

I am now reading "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson which is good too.

Next Non-fiction is "Flash Boys" by Michael Lewis.

CoteDAzur Fri 22-May-15 16:59:57

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest by Anatoli Boukreev & G Weston DeWalt

crapfatbanana Mon 11-May-15 22:56:54

I'm about halfway through Far From The Tree.

thelittlebooktroll Sun 12-Apr-15 09:01:17

Pear Shaped by Adam Blain (see other thread in this section about it) It's self published on Amazon and makes me wonder what other self-published gems I am missing out on.....

HappydaysArehere Sun 05-Apr-15 09:14:07

Van Gogh The Life by Steven Naifeh and Gregory a white Smith. This is an awesome book. It is so good that I immediately turned to the beginning as soon as I finished it. It took them ten years to write and it is the definitive biography. Forget Lust for Life.

hackmum Thu 30-Oct-14 09:56:54

The Henrietta Lacks book is great.

Currently reading Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys - a memoir by Viv Albertine of the Slits. Very enjoyable.

Like2Chat Mon 27-Oct-14 14:25:56

I've just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - an amazing book that I highly recommend.

It's about a woman who dies from cancer, but is much, much more than that.
All sorts of scientific breakthroughs and discoveries have been made using her 'HeLa' cancer cells and the author sets out on a journey to find out the truth about what happened to Henrietta and her family. Her relatives are poor, black and American. They cannot afford health insurance despite the fact that their relative's cells have generated millions of dollars for others.

It is an emotional read in parts but truly fascinating.

hackmum Sat 25-Oct-14 10:49:42

Cornishblues: Far from the tree is fantastic - I really would recommend it to people. Very interesting and very moving too.

patandjess Tue 21-Oct-14 21:42:18

Have just found this thread! Am loving The Times' Great Women's Lives at the moment - just dipping in and out of it really. It's a collection of obituaries - sounds morbid but actually really fascinating!

I also enjoyed The Old Ways.

DoctorTwo Sat 12-Jul-14 21:28:16

I know, Zombie thread and that, but I'm currently reading god Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, and it's better than I thought it would be.

Next up is The Death Of Money by James Rickards, entirely down to an excerpt which described how airline shares wers shorted prior to the 11th September 2001 attacks and the paper trail showing where it originated, which was, according to somebody in the know, the CIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now