what non-fiction are you reading now?

(169 Posts)
NicknameTaken Tue 28-Aug-12 12:36:00

I just finished Lucy Worsley's If Walls Could Talk - great fun, very well-written and engaging. Next up is Tom Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword, about the origins of Islam.

Anyone else?

I'd be v much in favour of merging, personally.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Nov-15 11:58:31

Please could you keep us posted over in Adult Fiction too? Lots of us over there read Non-fic but tend to discuss it in the '50 books' threads instead of here. smile

Yes, will do. I know there was talk of us merging the two - do you think that would be preferable?

Hygellig Fri 20-Nov-15 17:56:56

I just finished Far from the Tree by Andrew Solomon. It is based on interviews with parents whose children were very different to them (for example due to autism, schizophrenia, Down's syndrome or transgender). It is long but extremely readable and interesting, if not always an easy read in terms of the subject matter.

Please could you keep us posted over in Adult Fiction too? Lots of us over there read Non-fic but tend to discuss it in the '50 books' threads instead of here. smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Nov-15 17:50:43

Non-fiction readers: Just to let you know we have 15 copies of Jeremy Gavron's A Woman on the Edge of Time to giveaway. This is a deeply moving and fascinating memoir in which Jeremy attempts to find out more about Hannah, the mother he never knew, and understand the reasons why she killed herself when he was just four years of age. Find out more about the book and apply for a free copy before Monday 10am.

We'll have more free non-fiction books coming up in the New Year and will keep you posted in non-fiction discussion boards as well as the bookclub newsletter.

heymammy Thu 05-Nov-15 13:49:31

I'm about half way through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Fascinating to read about 50s cell culturing breakthroughs and the non-existent 'processes'. Henrietta's cells were cultured, swapped & sold (and contaminated) with gay abandon but with no consideration for the woman who 'donated' them or her family. At a time when poor, black, Americans were unknowingly being used for experiments.

Throws up an interesting debate about who owns those cells once they have left the human body.

AnnPerkins Thu 05-Nov-15 13:35:11

I'm reading that too Ohtobeskiing. BB does make me smile.

Just finished Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. Was reluctant at first, it seemed a bit hard going. Then I found I couldn't put it down. Think I'm going to try Natural Born Heroes next.

Ohtobeskiing Thu 05-Nov-15 13:31:14

I'm reading 'The Road to Little Dribbling' by Bill Bryson - enjoying it so far.

Jux Thu 05-Nov-15 13:29:02

Pinker's very readable, as is Stephen Jay Gould.

I read In Search of Scroedinger's Cat (can't remember author) 3 times before I gained even a glimmering of understanding of quantum mechanics, but at least I did get a glimmering!

southeastdweller Wed 04-Nov-15 21:39:59

The memoir from Julie Goodyear. Boy, what a life she's had.

cressetmama Wed 04-Nov-15 12:41:49

I read and enjoyed The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell over the summer, which I thought was great, but I have prepper instincts. It was a reaction to reading Station Eleven (which I also liked.)

hackmum Mon 02-Nov-15 18:19:30

Am reading the new Mary Beard book about ancient Rome - it's called SPQR. Very good so far.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 31-Oct-15 20:06:12

Just about to start on The Illustrated Herdwick Shepherd. I loved the first book so am hoping this is as good.

crunchylazy Fri 30-Oct-15 11:31:52

I'm now reading The No-nonsense guide to Green Parenting by Kate Blincoe on a mumsnet recommendation. I'm trying to be greener/get ideas for the kids. It's an easy, entertaining read on what can be a pretty dry subject - lots of original ideas so feeling inspired. Next on the list: Without God is Everything permitted? by Julian Bagginio, all about ethics and questions like 'do animals have rights?' (yes!).

crunchylazy Mon 26-Oct-15 19:27:50

I just read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre and it was fascinating and actually made me laugh out loud too in places. Shows how we get a fake version of science in the media. Helped me not feel stressed about the 'sausages kill' news today.

Jux Mon 19-Oct-15 10:00:17

I am reading a small book of essays. So far, they are astonishingly interesting, even though none are obviously subjects I would normally be interested in.

The really nice thing is that they are essays, so I don't have to plough through a whole book on something I might not be that bothered by or which could be so densely argued so I can't follow it!

It also means I can read a bit about lots of different things, so broaden my perspective. It could also lead to delving further into something I had always passed by before.

I think I'm going to read lots more essays from now on!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Wed 14-Oct-15 17:43:45

Duchess I really enjoyed The Bookshop Book - made me want to visit lots of them! If you liked her other books, have you seen Bookworm Droppings and More Bookworm Droppings by Shaun Tyas on the same theme? Some are really funny.

I'm just about to start Contented Dementia to hopefully gain some insight into how to relate better to an elderly relative sad

southeastdweller Tue 22-Sep-15 07:27:36

Late Fragments, by Kate Gross. Not feeling it so far, despite the many rave reviews.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 01-Sep-15 12:31:45

Just started The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell. I really enjoyed her Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, and More Weird Things ....

It's making me want to go to a bookshop already smile

SanityClause Sat 29-Aug-15 06:43:45

If This Is A Woman: Inside Ravensbruck: Hitler's Concentration Camp For Women by Sarah Helm

DuchessofMalfi Sat 29-Aug-15 06:38:36

Claire Balding's follow up book Walking Home was enjoyable too. I listened to her reading it on audio book and loved it. She won't win any prizes for putting on voices but she was very funny.

southeastdweller Fri 28-Aug-15 20:48:41

I think I'm going to read that book, Donkeys. I listened to her on Desert Island Discs this week and that spurred my interest (I used to think she was boring). And I know what you mean about autobiographies. I recently finished Graham Norton's latest book and that was just what I needed at the time.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 26-Aug-15 14:24:40

I occasionally choose an autobiography as something to de-stress with and picked up "My Animals and Other Family" by Clare Balding. It's deceptively simple, she writes very easily and honestly but imo some passages would provoke quite a reaction in AIBU or Relationships.

mizu Tue 18-Aug-15 19:32:09

Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy.

Really, really good.

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Tue 18-Aug-15 14:25:33

Reading "Sapiens" right now, and really enjoying it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now