what non-fiction are you reading now?

(152 Posts)
NicknameTaken Tue 28-Aug-12 12:36:00

I just finished Lucy Worsley's If Walls Could Talk - great fun, very well-written and engaging. Next up is Tom Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword, about the origins of Islam.

Anyone else?

southeastdweller Tue 22-Sep-15 07:27:36

Late Fragments, by Kate Gross. Not feeling it so far, despite the many rave reviews.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 01-Sep-15 12:31:45

Just started The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell. I really enjoyed her Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, and More Weird Things ....

It's making me want to go to a bookshop already smile

SanityClause Sat 29-Aug-15 06:43:45

If This Is A Woman: Inside Ravensbruck: Hitler's Concentration Camp For Women by Sarah Helm

DuchessofMalfi Sat 29-Aug-15 06:38:36

Claire Balding's follow up book Walking Home was enjoyable too. I listened to her reading it on audio book and loved it. She won't win any prizes for putting on voices but she was very funny.

southeastdweller Fri 28-Aug-15 20:48:41

I think I'm going to read that book, Donkeys. I listened to her on Desert Island Discs this week and that spurred my interest (I used to think she was boring). And I know what you mean about autobiographies. I recently finished Graham Norton's latest book and that was just what I needed at the time.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 26-Aug-15 14:24:40

I occasionally choose an autobiography as something to de-stress with and picked up "My Animals and Other Family" by Clare Balding. It's deceptively simple, she writes very easily and honestly but imo some passages would provoke quite a reaction in AIBU or Relationships.

mizu Tue 18-Aug-15 19:32:09

Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy.

Really, really good.

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Tue 18-Aug-15 14:25:33

Reading "Sapiens" right now, and really enjoying it!

DuchessofMalfi Mon 17-Aug-15 18:36:36

Just started reading Meadowland - The private life of an English field by John Lewis-Stempel. So far so good - it's a study over a year of a field in Herefordshire at the foot of the Black Mountains.

hotCocolepew Mon 17-Aug-15 13:43:26

Re-reeading At Home by Bill Bryson. I'm not a non fiction fan but this is ridiculously entertaining.

minitoot Mon 17-Aug-15 13:29:04

Re-reading The Road to Wigan Pier. Previously to that, My Lives by Edmund White which I really enjoyed. I probably wouldn't have picked it up myself but had to read it for a work-related thing and am really glad I did.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 03-Aug-15 19:37:16

In need of a bit of lighter reading, have just started The Life and Loves of a He Devil by Graham Norton.

TotallyAnonymousUsername Fri 31-Jul-15 12:29:14

If This is a Woman: Hitler's concentration camp for women. By Sarah Helm.

Possibly the most heart wrenching book I've ever read but great flow and really informative, especially since a lot of focus in other similar books is on the men's camps. I cry every time I open it.

kissmoon Fri 31-Jul-15 12:14:38

What an insight for single parents! Reading, Don't Come Crying Home. About an orphanage boy's childhood. How a child struggles for his identity without adult or parents to guide him. Tearful but forever hopeful. A kind of inspiration.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 19:27:27

That does sound interesting. I'm pleased to hear him back on the radio now smile

southeastdweller Wed 29-Jul-15 18:19:02

It's a book about the year he spent on bail because of Operation Yewtree, Duchess.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 16:57:23

What's the Paul Gambaccini one, Southeast? I might be interested in that.

southeastdweller Tue 28-Jul-15 19:00:17

I've two on the go - a memoir from the comedienne Francesca Martinez, and the follow-up to the Fast Diet book, Fast Exercise.

My favourite book of the year so far is a non-fiction one - Reasons to Stay Alive, by Matt Haig.

Looking forward to books out this autumn by Paul Gambaccini and David Hare.

HeisenbergSaysHello Mon 13-Jul-15 23:16:24

Cocky: The rise and fall of Curtis Warren, Britains biggest drug barron

velourvoyageur Sun 12-Jul-15 22:44:53

Third Culture Kids
essays about Antonio Gramsci's vision of the state
paperback history of Islam

i like history smile

HeisenbergSaysHello Sat 11-Jul-15 21:10:45

Defending the guilty by Alex McBride. Very good read, written by a criminal barrister.

DarkEvilMoon Wed 08-Jul-15 10:28:10

Asperkids secret guide to social rules - imo it should be compulsory reading for teachers even if only the first chapter which summarises the rest of the book

Six easy pieces by Richard Feynman

I want to read The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's on my wish list but I am aware it would not be to everyone's taste

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 08-Jul-15 10:21:21

Having trawled through pieces worthy but dull on Lance Armstrong I thought DM at least sounded repentant, AnonymousBird!

(That book you mention is one I keep wondering about, please come back and tell us what it's like?).

Donkeys - my husband read that and said it is great. I very recently read the Chris Froome one and am going to read the Millar one on the back of that as I enjoyed Froome's so much.

I am reading "Do No Harm, Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery" by Henry Marsh.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 07-Jul-15 13:55:18

Selena Hasting's biography of Nancy Mitford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now