what non-fiction are you reading now?

(114 Posts)
NicknameTaken Tue 28-Aug-12 12:36:00

I just finished Lucy Worsley's If Walls Could Talk - great fun, very well-written and engaging. Next up is Tom Holland's In the Shadow of the Sword, about the origins of Islam.

Anyone else?

NicknameTaken Fri 07-Jun-13 15:16:54

Just finished Tom Holland, Persian Fire. Really exciting final chapters, even though you know what the final outcome of the Persian/Greek showdown will be. I wonder if there is much crossover in readers with The Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones and that kind of genre - if you like major battles against overwhelming odds, there is plenty in real-life history that should satisfy!

Also Chavs by Owen Jones. I agree with what he argues, but the book itself feels a bit repetitive - basically an over-extended newspaper opinion piece.

I have The Old Ways by Robert McFarlane lined up next.

I have a copy of The First Crusade waiting for me.

I've just got to finish reading book 1 of the Scream Street series first...

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 07-Jun-13 17:03:40

I am reading 'working class cultures 1890-1960' by Joanna Bourke. I know her so keep imagining her narrating which makes me chuckle at times.

Worth a read if working class social history is your bag.

Gorbachev's memoirs. What a chap grin

And a Very Short Intro to Children's Literature

pollywollydoodle Mon 10-Jun-13 05:51:57

am dipping into "a history of
the english language in 100 words" which is really interesting
Have got dorothy rowe's "the real meaning of money" lined up next

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 10-Jun-13 13:21:16

Just started the Pagrave Macmillian 'History of Sexuality'. Intro and a chapter on Demography and it had grabbed me yet.

EugenesAxe Mon 10-Jun-13 13:29:09

'A Short History of England' by Simon Jenkins (I think). It's pretty good but it is very short. You notice when you get to a bit of history you know about... e.g. Black Death got a paragraph. I think he dwells on things that really contributed to the shape of the modern country; the Black Death killed a lot of people, but to an extent it just happened.

And if people are reading to get inspiration, my favourite ever non-fiction book is.... 'Fermat's Last Theorum' by Simon Singh (he's so engaging and clever that I have a crush on him - wonderful to go and see talk with his Skeptic and scientific friends).

MissRenataFlitworth Thu 13-Jun-13 23:52:39

I don't read much fiction; there's so much brilliant non-fiction around. I have recently enjoyed:
The Blitz, The Thirties and Wartime Britain, all by Juliet Gardiner
The Strangest Man by Graham Farmelo - a biography of Paul Dirac
She-Wolves by Helen Castor
Magnificent Obsession by Helen Rappaport
Dickens and the Workhouse by Ruth Richardson
Courtiers by Lucy Worsley
A Passionate Sisterhood by Kathleen Jones
Quantum by Manjit Kumar
Marie Curie by Susan Quinn
Serving Victoria by Kate Hubbard
Stonehenge by Mike Parker Pearson
The Brontes by Juliet Barker is magnificent
Austerity Britain and Family Britain by David Kynaston
And if you want to know about Hitler Ian Kershaw's your man!

NicknameTaken Tue 09-Jul-13 10:42:52

Currently plodding through Sorry! The English and their Manners. It's not bad, but it doesn't match up to, say, Watching the English by Kate Fox.

hackmum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:12:51

MissRenataFlitworth - what did you think of Family Britain? I enjoyed Austerity Britain, meant to buy Family Britain when it came out, and then never got round to it. It just seemed so, well, long.

Fat book I picked up for £2.50 today- Soviet foreign policy after Stalin- published in 1962 hmm author so far seems intent on framing Stalin a rather lamblike light grin shudder to think how he'll deal with Khrushchev.....

NicknameTaken Tue 16-Jul-13 16:18:05

Framing Stalin in a lamblike light - well, that's creative, at any rate...

Cornishblues Sat 12-Jul-14 20:17:44

Enjoying solomon's far from the tree - about families raising children who are in various ways different from the parents - deaf, autistic and others. Not far in, but the intro talking about the author's own experience of growing up gay is fascinating. The complexity of the issues and decisions facing the families are a revelation.

DoctorTwo Sat 12-Jul-14 21:28:16

I know, Zombie thread and that, but I'm currently reading god Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, and it's better than I thought it would be.

Next up is The Death Of Money by James Rickards, entirely down to an excerpt which described how airline shares wers shorted prior to the 11th September 2001 attacks and the paper trail showing where it originated, which was, according to somebody in the know, the CIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now