Suggestions for book club please!

(6 Posts)
LastMangoInParis Fri 24-Aug-12 15:46:51

The Magnetic North, Notes From the Arctic Circle by Sarah Wheeler = history, science, anthropology, politics... beautifully written, surprising, fascinating... (you see I quite enjoyed this book, grin)
(Haven't yet started her earlier book Terra Incognita as I know I'll be out for the count once I've started it until I've finished it. And then I'll need a few extra days for pondering...)

FashionFairy Fri 24-Aug-12 15:36:21

How about something a bit different? I have written a book based on my experience of a breakdown called Psychosis through My Eyes

hackmum Fri 10-Aug-12 09:43:07

I don't read much poetry - I find it hard to get into. Last year I really enjoyed a biography of the poet Edward Thomas called All Roads Lead to France - afterwards I bought a book of Thomas's poems but found the biography much easier to read than the poetry!

triplets Thu 09-Aug-12 23:31:34

Thanks thats a few ood suggestions I will "read" up on them.Ever done any poetry?

hackmum Thu 09-Aug-12 15:39:34

The book about North Korea, Nothing to Envy, mentioned a couple of threads down, is definitely worth a read.

I think the infamous Tiger Mother book is a really enjoyable read, and gives you lots to think about. I also recently enjoyed Bounce by Matthew Syed (about why practice is more important than innate talent).

Zero Empathy by Simon Baron Cohen, which is about various disorders in which people lack empathy (including sociopathy and autism) is fascinating and has the merit of being short! Same subject, but completely different approach - Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test.

I'm assuming you want fairly recent books - I think all or most of the above have been published in the last year or two.

triplets Thu 09-Aug-12 01:08:07

Hi, my turn next and we have had 3 years of mainly fiction, I think one autobigraphy. Looking for something different which will provoke a good discussion please smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now