Books for holiday...

(4 Posts)
badlybungled Fri 01-Jun-12 12:35:33

I have just read your post and I would thoroughly recommend "The Railway Man" by Eric Lomax. It is the true life account of a Scottish man who was held prisoner by the Japanese during WWII. Incidentally, it is about to be made into a film. A fantastic read!

I would also heartily recommend "The Auschwitz Violin" by Maria Angels Anglada.

R2PeePoo Tue 01-May-12 22:16:14

Oh yes and

The Complete Maus

(another 'comic' book but non-fiction where the son is interviewing his holocaust survivor father-one of the most astonishing books)

R2PeePoo Tue 01-May-12 22:12:01

I have recently read some great Mass Observation books.

'Domestic Soldiers' by Jennifer Purcell wasn't bad
'Love and War in London: The Mass Observation Wartime Diary of Olivia Crockett' was pretty good too.
'Wartime Women' by Dorothy Sheridan is next on my list.

I also like:

'Even the women must fight' by Turner
'A time for machetes' by Hatzfeld
'Into the Quick of life' by Hatzfeld
'Safe area Gorazde' by Joe Sacco is a 'documentary comic' and really helped me get a handle on the Kosovan conflict.
Night by Wiesel

History is not boring grin

girlylala0807 Mon 30-Apr-12 16:58:19

I dont really read fiction. Im going to have all kinds of time to read on holiday be that its child free. Im going to order "The Night Cleaner" . Thats the kind of thing I like. Undercover journalism. Im also a boring history student so anything real life ww2 related. Survivor stories. Also stories that uncover abuses of system in other countries.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now