Non fiction but not autobiographies

(11 Posts)
TheKeyAuthor Wed 23-May-12 10:22:40

In addition to my last post (Mon 21-May-12 15:43:49), I would add Madeleine (Kate McCann) to the list and read it second if you want an intriguing read of interconnecting true stories.

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

TheKeyAuthor Mon 21-May-12 15:43:49

Lady (Catherine) Meyer's book, "They Are My Children Too", followed by "The Key?" as they complement one another perfectly.

antrimum Fri 18-May-12 11:44:01

theonewiththenoisychild I would recommend "Mum's List" if you like true story that will make you cry - this one fits extremely well under that category...

NicholasTeakozy Tue 20-Mar-12 11:31:27

I'll second Agent Zigzag. Totally unbelievable but all true. The film Triple Cross was based on Eddie Chapman's story.

I'm currently reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. It's very entertaining and informative.

theonewiththenoisychild Mon 30-Jan-12 12:58:46

Thanks i'll look them up

fivegomadindorset Sun 29-Jan-12 19:52:12

The Fatal Shore

Driving Over Lemons

Agent Zigzag and Operation Mincemeat

A Train in Winter

Penguins Stopped Play

theonewiththenoisychild Sun 29-Jan-12 19:44:58

I like true stories but nothing with child abuse in. But font mind ones that make me cry

amicissima Sat 28-Jan-12 17:26:30

I second The Fatal Shore.

I also loved all these (apart from the de Botton, which I haven't read yet).

If you are a bit interested in science you could try The Age of Wonder. It is a collection of biographies, but they are used to show how scientific thought and discovery progressed and how they related to the developing art and romantic movement of the time.

Notes from A Small Island will inform you about Britain in a very amusing way. Anything by Bill Bryson is worth reading IME, and you could have a go at his (large) A Short History of Nearly Everything if you want to know about, well, nearly everything.

Alain de Botton's Religion for Atheisists is getting good reviews.

Three books based on global commerce, from various angles:

Boomerang by Michael Lewis is an entertaining take on the financial crisis (quite short, too). His Liar's Poker is a bit of an eye-opener on the world of trading, too.

A Mumsnetter recommended The Box, about the development of the shipping container, and of course, the results. To my surprise, I found it gripping.

Freakonomics is an interesting look at how the modern world works.

And, if you'd like to be well-informed on a totally obscure subject, you could try The Great Hedge of India.

BandOMothers Sat 28-Jan-12 00:57:48

I also recently read The Fatal Shore which is a look at Australia from the time the Brits arrived. Convicts and all that. Mad stuff.

BandOMothers Sat 28-Jan-12 00:56:04

Well about what? I like history....I find Antonia Fraser's The Weaker Vessel fascinating. It's about women's role in society during the 17th century...lots of true stories and fascinating facts about what women did about childbirth, education, war...

Also "London Labour and the London Poor" it's an amzing journal thing which was written about Victorian London....a sort of peek into the working people of London but it's done in a journalistic way...very factual but the details are amazing. THe author looks at all of the jobs in London and studies the workers...everything from maids to beggars to market stall-keepers and washer-women.

theonewiththenoisychild Fri 27-Jan-12 23:38:40

Can anybody recommend a book or author?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now