Queen Victoria

(6 Posts)
mumwithdice Thu 19-Jan-12 15:42:45

Anyone know of any good biographies of her? Surely Antonia Fraser must have written one?

Abcinthia Fri 20-Jan-12 20:04:46

I don't think Antonia Fraser has written one on Queen Victoria. I've got a few of her books and I do not remember seeing one listed last time I was on amazon.

I don't have any suggestions (sorry!). I was actually looking to find a good biography of Victoria as well.

Louise1956 Fri 27-Dec-13 16:12:59

Elizabeth Longford's biography of her is very good.

My favourite book on her though is Queen Victoria Was Amused by Alan Hardy. She wasn't nearly as stuffy as people sometimes try to make out.

NorthernLebkuchen Fri 27-Dec-13 16:17:38

Matthew Dennison has written a biography recently. Judging by his one of Princess Beatrice of BAttenberg that I read, it will be very good. Hannah Pakula has done very good biogs of both Victoria's daughter, Vicky, and of her grandchild MArie, Queen of Roumania. Tbh though almost the best read about Victoria is by reading her letters. There are volumes published between her and Vicky and they are a fascinating read.

amicissimma Tue 18-Mar-14 20:41:48

The Grandmama of Europe is a fascinating read from the POV that so many European monarchs were descended from her, and thus related to each other. Very readable.

Unfortunately, as the Amazon link shows, it's very hard to get hold of. You could try your library, or Abe Books.

antimatter Sun 23-Mar-14 19:35:56

I listened to audiobook Becoming Queen by Kate Williams & enjoyed it a lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now