Where to get the Book of Boff published?

(165 Posts)
BoffinMum Mon 14-Feb-11 14:55:53

As some of you may know from other threads, or from being sent bits of my housekeeping book to help you out, I have written a domestic manual for those short of time and money that I'd like to get published. I did a lot of research into pitches, wrote what I think is a good one, and susequently approached Darley Anderson, a literary agency, and also Dorling Kindersley, the publisher, and have got absolutely nowhere (not that I expected to, tbh). Not even a standard 'thank you for your email' response. I would welcome any advice people care to give me on how to move this on, as I think it would be a real shame if it never saw the light of day.

midnightexpress Tue 15-Feb-11 08:27:54

PM us with the address?

sethstarkaddersmackerel Tue 15-Feb-11 10:06:42

I think if a whole bunch of MNers are begging you for the address of your blog because we think it sounds like it is stuffed with useful info, MNTowers could not possibly object smile

that is very different from a non-MNer swanning in and posting a link completely unsolicited IMO.

if you can't work out how to link just tell us the name and we will find it.

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 13:00:44

I have reported the post as a means of bringing it to the attention on MN Towers so they can hopefully give me a bit of advice on this, before I blunder around.

I am actually really enjoying this whole blog thing, it's a lot easier and more satisfying than I realised it could be.

try www.lulu.com

You can publish your own book from there - including setting the price etc etc

My father-in-law did this with his own autobiography and his father's biography - they are both well-known psychotherapists but their memoirs are obviously only relevant to a small field. His books are bought online and he receives regular 'royalties' !

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 13:36:51

I am still nervous. I reckon that would make even less than academic books do.

midnightexpress Tue 15-Feb-11 13:42:57

Hi Boffin - got your PM. Am in a bit of a rush today, but will try and have a look at it later and give you some feedback. Is it OK to post it here or would you rather I PM you back?

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 15:32:17

Either would be great.

I am very excited. I seem to be hitting the mother lode. Two other websites are already referring people to my blog, which I didn't expect. It works so much faster than with 'proper' websites. I am starting to get a sense of the real power of social networking, something I was vaguely aware of intellectually but which I think I hadn't properly appreciated, despite my pretensions to know about IT.

However blogs are quite addictive. I am on sick leave and hence have been tweaking it all day. I hope this is the novelty factor! It is worse than MN in this regard!

midnightexpress Tue 15-Feb-11 16:17:07

Oh that's great. I think it's a great way to get feedback on what you're doing too if you can attract people to it. I'll link it from my FB and Twitter pages. I had a quick peek but have both DC home today and have to go out and pick up a car now, but I'll try and get back to you later or tomorrow. It looks like you've done LOADS already! I love your box of last resort - it reminds me of being a girl guide with my pockets full of 10p to make a phone call and bits of string. Fab.

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 17:01:52

I never got to be a girl guide but I suppose I am there in spirit!

madwomanintheattic Tue 15-Feb-11 17:07:15

linky please grin
<did i miss it?>

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 17:10:55

If anyone has any advice on Twitter I am all ears. I think I may have managed to Tweet and I have copied some of the lovely Nigella's followed list to look all cool and meeja but I am still in the dark about most of it. Found MN Tweets though! Actually interesting, unlike a lot of what's on there. grin

madwomanintheattic Tue 15-Feb-11 17:29:14

can't help you with twitter <technophobe> but am loving the Box of Last Resort (ran out of milk yesterday) and social accountancy aspects of the pta. grin <came home from work yesterday to make and decorated blardy valentines/ thinking day cupcakes for the guides party>

am right out of the loop on uk mags/ sunday supplements etc, but am assuming the austerity/ sensible shoes angle is de rigeur?

helloimhere Tue 15-Feb-11 17:39:14

Need a link to the blog.......please please please.

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 18:00:11

Austerity Housekeeping OK you lot, here it is. Hope MNTowers don't mind. Please post some comments so it doesn't look so new!

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 18:02:04

Austerity today usually means either growing your own turnips or swapping massage oils for a non-branded type. Or alternatively prostrating yourself recycling things that were never meant to be recycled. I think it can be so much more.

MrsSnaplegs Tue 15-Feb-11 20:19:59

Love the blog will add comments when on a main computer not phone! Good luck I will def buy book!

sethstarkaddersmackerel Tue 15-Feb-11 21:12:49

Boff I love you, you are so certain about everything. It's like Flora Poste wrote a housekeeping book.
will add comments in near future.

LadyBiscuit Tue 15-Feb-11 21:13:38

I agree with seth - it's great I reckon a blog could be the way to go to the Book of Boff getting published for sure.

sethstarkaddersmackerel Tue 15-Feb-11 21:17:39

I would soooooo buy this book.

BoffinMum Tue 15-Feb-11 21:37:20

Shucks blush

BoffinMum Wed 16-Feb-11 13:02:54

180 views, and I also have five followers on Twitter! grin

I have now reorganised my posts so one will pop up at 9am every day until 5 March. It all links backwards and forwards to Twitter as well, so things seem to appear there automatically. I am wondering if I have covered all the bases now.

MrsSnaplegs Wed 16-Feb-11 16:57:53

Boff - have you thought of touting your blog on Martin Lewis's website forums - almost as powerful as MN grin You may get a few more fans over there!!

BoffinMum Wed 16-Feb-11 17:39:06

oo, oo, that's a fab idea. grin

I am just fanning myself because one of my personal heroines, the Great Sarah Beeny clicked through to my blog (I think). I practically curtsied.

Are there any posts you think I should be doing to add to the content? I've got about 15 lined up and scheduled to appear over the next fortnight but if there's anything people would really like, I could do a special one.

sethstarkaddersmackerel Wed 16-Feb-11 18:00:59

I think when I looked yesterday there was nothing on cleaning; I presume you have done something on that side of household management? would be good anyway - I always have the nagging feeling there are vital cleaning jobs I ought to be doing but which I don't know about and everyone who comes to my house (and cares about such things) will be judging me for not doing.

BoffinMum Wed 16-Feb-11 18:45:19

I have one lined up on spring cleaning due for tomorrow morning, actually. Sometime in March I might start putting regular cleaning routines up there, although strangely grids work less well on there than I would like.

A question about the Martin Lewis site - I have been on there and made a post but I think I would probably have to spend ages getting known before a link would be acceptable (as on here, in fact). Is that everyone else's reading of the situation as well? It would mean less time on MN of course sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now