Jilly Cooper has a new book :)

(327 Posts)
Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 13:45:45

It will be published in September and it's called "Jump"

I cannot wait

Maud2011 Sat 05-Jan-13 14:44:55

I loved Rivals, which I read when it was first published and Tony Baddingham was still Tony Bullingham. I seem to remember there was a real Tony Bullingham in the news threatening legal action, hence the name change. Can't have done much for all the bullsh*t jokes in the book.

Wicked is simply the worst book I've ever read.

atthewelles Fri 04-Jan-13 16:41:24

I went off Jilly Cooper several books ago. She really is an awful and very unsubtle snob and I read in a review of one of her recent books that the teenage characters still talk like young upper class kids from the fifties and sixties. She does seem to be quite dated in her views and writing style.

tribpot Sun 30-Dec-12 18:24:18
tribpot Sun 30-Dec-12 18:21:18

I Googled to see what La Cooper is up to (and hoping it does not involve another book). Rather staggeringly she's been taking a pop at Pippa Middleton's book.

gymboywalton Sun 30-Dec-12 18:14:46

sorry to bump an old thread but have just finished this and it is APPALLING

truly truly awful

a teenager gets RAPED and it's passed off as her 'being taken to bed' by older men

i can't express just how bad this book is!

scoutliam Mon 15-Nov-10 19:55:50

One of the worst books I've ever read. I mean truly shockingly awful.

The scene with the child in a foursome is just a rape scene.
How the fuck did her publishers let her away with this manky drivel?

traceybath Thu 28-Oct-10 18:08:30

Do you know I've just re-read Riders and its actually so sad how brilliant it is in comparison with her recent stuff.

I think the characters are generally nicer and more realistic and there's far less of the silly puns/nicknames.

I did feel very tearful reading all the Billy stuff as I actually cried in Jump when he died. He was one of her nicest male characters ever.

Am going to read Rivals again next. I so wanted Jump to be wonderful and I feel weirdly disloyal to the lovely Jilly in not loving it.

Sadly I think she should actually just stop now - it all seems a bit lazy and she does suffer from appalling editing.

RipMacWinkle Thu 28-Oct-10 17:55:41

Oh no! Am so depressed to read this.

I was v excited to get the new book as a birthday present and have been itching to get into it. However, same as childara I'm a few chapters in and just not getting into it at all.

The characters are just annoying me so much.

Gutted isn't the word.

HarderToKidnap Mon 25-Oct-10 21:57:55

I was so disappointed with it. Every page it just a list of the characters present in the scene, followed by their nickname, everyone makes a pun and then next scene. Also one of the child characters is raped and it barely gets a mention (along with her Dad being so proud that a forty something man desired his 15 year old daughter - WEIRD). Load of tosh.

cilldara Sun 10-Oct-10 00:55:23

I am about 100 pages in and struggling. Far too many characters and the constant punning is wearing me down now. Don't know if I have the energy to persist really.

ENFH Wed 06-Oct-10 10:25:51

Did,nt really get into this , quite enjoyed Wicked once Id read it for the second time. Confused yesterday when I picked up a newer copy of Rivals and thought I would re read it to find that in the newer print 1992 Tony Baddingham has suddenly changed his name to Tony Bullingham ! Have I missed something ?
Personally my all time favourite has to be Score

boudoiricca Fri 01-Oct-10 16:23:24

Billy DIES?? sad

I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread yet...

GetOrfMeLenin Fri 01-Oct-10 16:15:29

I live in Gloucestershire, Balloon. My towels are sandy coloured. And I got them from Dunelm Mill <destroys Balloon's dream of Cotswold Life>

GetOrfMeLenin Fri 01-Oct-10 16:14:11

Oh fuck Billy dies

I bought this (a SIGNED copy no less) the other day, have read the first chapter. Tbh it didn't grab me, notrmally her first chapters set the scene really well. Just a very scratchily written set of characters.

Hmm. Will see. Was hoping desperately it was a return to form, like Pandora was after Score.

BalloonSlayer Fri 01-Oct-10 16:04:07

Nearly finished but getting a bit fed up.

Am sick of the horrible comments about the fat character.

Am distressed about the horses' sex scene. I mean, really, did she have to? Some of us read while we're eating our tea, sorry, kitchen-sups, you know.

Am still wondering if it is true that the only colour of towels you can buy in Gloucestershire is Dark Blue.

< wraps dark blue towel around her waist and opens bottle of Moet. Or was it Krug. >

MmeLindt Tue 28-Sep-10 11:59:10

Ok, downloaded and read.

I did not think it was that great tbh. There were FAR too many characters. I was reading on the Kindle and it was so annoying as I could not flick back and check the list of characters at the beginning of the book.

Found that Dora/Trixie were a bit samey with Perdita/Tabitha etc.

Was a very put off by the 4some storyline that IMO was child abuse, since the victim was not even 16yo and was not a willing participant. It was chucked in without much thought.

Not enough of the old characters, when they turned up it was just a quick mention.

Not convinced by the Muslim storyline. Rafiq seemed to undergo a very quick turnaround.

It was all very similar to previous books.

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 27-Sep-10 19:49:08

I'm confused by how old people are. the timeline appears to be blured. and yes - too many characters, none with any depth at all. and not enough Rupert.

BalloonSlayer Mon 27-Sep-10 10:54:56

Oh no! Billy dies! Oh!

I am half way through and quite enjoying it. Although agree with the cast of thousands making it less enjoyable.

Also agree with the Muslim character bit . . . eg doesn't seem to object to alcohol despite being a fundamentalist. (AFAIK a strict Muslim would not want to kiss a drunk woman for fear of getting alcohol on his own lips)

Nice to have an older heroine though. But am a bit sick of the all-too-wise-and-knowing teens.

HeftyNorks Fri 24-Sep-10 22:33:48

Yep - am going to wait for it to hit the charity shops. Note that I am not saying I won't read it grin rather that havinf shelled out for the last one and been hugely disappointed I am not going to fall into the same trap again.

Rivals was deffo the best and also The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous. IMHO she hasn't written anything halfway decent since.

tribpot Fri 24-Sep-10 22:14:15

Okay, trying to disguise spoilers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dreadful. I mean not as bad as Wicked which has to represent a low in anyone's publishing career, but it merely trotted along with a cast of thousands and no personality.

But the death of Billy, dealt with so casually in a few pages, is actually hurtful. Mrs effing Wilkinson the horse got more attention - and who is going to tell Jilly that she's probably better off trying not to write Muslim characters even if it was slightly less offensive this time than before?!

Drew as well - and Eddie barely there. I'm sorry but she's lost the plot, I would much rather she didn't dilute the legacy further by making stuff up.

glitterkitty Fri 24-Sep-10 22:08:20

Ooooooooooo! Thanks! Will have to get it now- probably tommorow! Was imagining it being 20 squid or thereabouts grin

PaulineCampbellJones Fri 24-Sep-10 22:06:17

It's £8.50 in Tesco and in WHsmith

PaulineCampbellJones Fri 24-Sep-10 22:03:41

I think there is going to be one yes. Mine is sitting just waiting to be read. glitterkitty there are some good deals around for it right now. I will sell mine second hand when have read it...

glitterkitty Fri 24-Sep-10 22:00:51

Oh give us the spoilers. I'll reread it about 50 times anyway so I dont care.

tribpot Fri 24-Sep-10 21:40:01

Is there a review thread for people who have read it? I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now