Jilly Cooper has a new book :)

(327 Posts)
Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 13:45:45

It will be published in September and it's called "Jump"

I cannot wait

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:27:28

Ah. It's on Wiki. It must be true.wink

Only read one Jilly Cooper but do love a good Penny Vincenzi, the thing is they are all very similar (which I like about them) but it means I get one from the library not realising I've already read it!

The latest one about the car crash was a bit weird, love the period ones though.

Might have to dip into Jilly. I do love a good epic book.

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:32:14

GetOrf were you on the Who Do Jilly Cooper Characters Look Like Thread a few months (?) ago?? I remember finding that ridiculously exciting.

(I have only read one PV book. It was about someone called Bard and was SHIT. She's not a patch on Jilly).

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:33:51

Oh I must have missed that Jilly thread sad

Try another Vicenzi Boudi - have never heard of one with bard in, must be one of her shite ones.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:35:17

Do you mean Brad? Was he the American GI turned Hollywood B-lister?

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:36:48

Just ordered them!! Excited now! Bang goes another fortnight where I meant to change the world and do the ironing.blush

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:38:49

The Dilemma.

Endless, tedious, obvious wank.

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:40:24

oh Fellatio! (I never thought I'd write that.) I am SO envious.

And her older stories are just glorious
Lisa & Co
Imogen
Harriet
Octavia
Bella
(am trying to remember who was who)
Someone who married a scottish chap and went to live on an island-Harriet or Bella?
Someone who had sex at Oxford once with a cad, and got pregnant, kept the baby and had to go and work as a nanny-
Someone who was a virgin who went on holiday to the South of France with someone who wanted to ravish her-Imogen
They are like Georgette Heyer
Snuggling down on a sofa with a hot chocolate, a real fire and the wind howling outside and a suitable novel, heaven

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 21-Jun-10 17:45:24

Harriet is the nanny one
Emily was the one who married the scottish chap

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 17:48:45

I have read Jenny Pitmans novels too about a lady trainer, They are very good!!

sparklyblack Mon 21-Jun-10 17:48:45

Bella was the 'glamorous actress' one who got kidnapped and taken to ?Spain.
Octavia was on a boat of some kind, met rugged Welsh type, hated him, fell in love with him.

My favourite was Harriet.

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 17:51:18

Harriet was my favourite too! I loved Cory!!

GeorginaWorsley Mon 21-Jun-10 17:51:44

I loved Jilly's novels from 1985 ish to 1995,
Rivals
Polo
Riders
Man who made husbands jealous.
I devoured them,as a Jilly character might say,or do wink
I loved the descriptions of the clothes,the houses,the sex....grin

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:53:09

I think I might have to track down all those old ones and re-read them too.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:54:53

When you've finished the books Fellatio you'll know that a napkin needs to contain an ecstasy tab and a condom...and nobody bothers with the food

Ah yes, less keen on Bella and Octavia, as they were horrendous heroines
And then they 'learnt' their lessons hmm

I fancied liked the welshman though

RuthieCohen Mon 21-Jun-10 18:01:30

HUZZAH!

My school had Riders in the library shock which certainly made up for their shoddy attempts at Sex Ed.

Jump has been pre-ordered, I don't know how I'm going to contain myself - I haven't read a decent bonkbuster for years

sharbiebowtiesarecool Mon 21-Jun-10 18:06:23

reading this thread is making more even more yay. yay

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 18:14:17

ANother JIlly COoper fan here. I agree with most of you - Riders, Rivals and Polo are brilliant, the next three OK, Pandora and Wicked just meh.
Mind you my favourite book of hers is probably The Common Years, which I have just been re-reading for about the billionth time (and would defy anyone not to weep at the end...)

Oh and this will make some of you envy - I have, somewhere, a letter from Jilly Cooper, which is sadly addressed to one of my pseudonyms rather than having my name on - I reviewed Polo when it came out in paperback and apparently it's standard practice for her to send reviewers a nice letter.

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 18:23:28

I loved the whole Rupert and Taggie love story and read each new book in trepidation that they've broken up.

Also loved Janey Lloyd-Foxe and Daisy for their gloriously sluttish ways.

Felt very sorry for Jilly when her DH had an affair and the OW was very mean about Jilly.

SGB - I am very envious of you having a letter from her.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 18:27:16

Do I have to read Rivals Riders and Polo in any order? Are they related at all?

3BreastsInMyShirt Mon 21-Jun-10 18:29:28

you can read them in any order but its ever so exciting when you find cross over bits from book to book.

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 18:29:48

Yeap in that order Fellatio as they have some of the same cast.

I so wish I was going to read them for the first time.

I had to re-purchase those books as read them so many times my originals fell to bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now