Jilly Cooper has a new book :)

(327 Posts)
Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 13:45:45

It will be published in September and it's called "Jump"

I cannot wait

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:45:21

I didn't know that if you were an OBE you were a dame.

MayorNaze Mon 21-Jun-10 16:46:41

where does pandora come in that lot then?

i ahve actually written down that order to keep in my handbag blush

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:47:03

Dame isn't good enough. I think women should be made ladies in their own right.

Lady Jilly.

But Louise is right, she should be queen of us all.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:49:19

Riders
Rivals
Polo
Man who made husbands jealous
Appassionata
Score
Pandora
Wicked

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 16:50:54

Sorry, you're right, you have to be a GDE or a DBE to be a Dame. I can't get anything right today.

But yes, let's make her queen.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:50:56

Riders Rivals Polo excellent

It goes a bot pear shaped with Man Who Made

back on track with Appassionata but a deeply annoying heroine.

Again, slightly odd with score (it's a whodunnit)

Pandora is brilliant, excellent characters and very funny.

Have not read Wicked because I was too scared to as people said it was awful.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:51:49

<feels rather excited that I have met other Jilly Cooper fans>

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:01:21

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm onlt Amazon now for the 'Holy Trinity'. Damn. Looks like I'll have to tackle Wolf Hall another time. (secretly says 'Phew. Thank fuck for that - it was exhausting me.')

I really like Penny Vincezi as well - I suppose she's Jilly without the raunch? Very very elaborate plots - I agree, easy to dismiss as literary fluff but they don't half grip you. (Or grip one. wink)

I said I haven't read JC since I was 19, but I did read Class about 2 years ago. (not a novel though so didn't count it!) I loved it, but found it a tad dated. I'd love to see an updated version.

Re: PV, wasn't so keen on her last offering - can't remember its name, the one based around the motorway pile-up. It was a bit over-long and convoluted even by her standards. It could have been two-thirds the length, with some of the more tenous/silly sub-plots and characters axed, IMHO.

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 17:03:16

Vincenzi is nowhere near as funny as Jilly Cooper - you're in for a treat, FN.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:11:10

Vincenzi's period books are really good - the ones which are set in the present day (such as that motorway pile up one) are less good imo.

My fave Penny V's are Anotehr Woman (where a woman - who you never meet - jilts her husband at the altar) and the Lytton litereray dynasty trilogy.

Love a bit of Jilly - will order copy. But Alouiseg- Andrew Parker Bowles and ravishing Rupert - tell me it isn't so!!!!

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:11:13

No I agree not funny, but good plots anyway. So will JC I get funny and sex? Bargain!

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:14:47

I've read the first Lytton book, I've had the others on the shelf for ages but the right moment hasn't hit me yet. Read the one about the Lloyds scandal - enjoyed that. And the one about the Hollywood actor in England during WW2. (Sorry - rubbish at remembering the titles.) Plus the motoway one. That's it I think. Sorry A, Penny Vincenzi hijack.blush

I think i read somewhere that the new book is about NH Racing which would fit with the title! I didnt like Pandora very much. I liked Wicked especially as one of the characters had a baby called Wilfy!!!

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:16:32

Yep, funny, raunchy but most of all it makes me want to live in a sandstone house in Nether Lypiatt, dripping with wisteria and hosting outrageous parties.

Porridge - absolute gospel I'm afraid.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:17:37

Still on vincenzi theme, the Looyds one was quite good, there is also a very good one about an american marrying an Earl in the 60s, and also one where a woman in the 30s is left a fortune in a will.

Penny V books always have ludicrous titles which bear no relation to the actual content of the book, so I can never remember what they are bloody well called!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:18:49

The good think about living in Gloucestershire is shrieking in delight when you drive past as sign to a village which is also a Jilly Cooper character.

France Lynch
Somerford Keynes

There are more but have mental blank.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:19:23

Come to think of it I might have Another Woman on my shelf as well. I like to paperback buy in bulk and then leave them there for a year or two.blush And every time I go near an airport I buy four more, so I never get to the end of the pile.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:19:36
GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:20:49

lol at RCB on wikipedia.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 21-Jun-10 17:20:55

Theres a TV version been made of Octavia, supposed to be out last autumn but has been put back because of recession. Don't know if it will be any good. Can't imagine the characters will look how I picture them.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:23:04

Alouiseg my house drips in wisteria - you can come and be outrageous there.

<sobs>

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:24:05

lottie I also have some recollection of NH racing (she apparently just got part share in a racehorse) so YES, am hoping some horsiness back...

Maybe its time for the next lot of Campbell-Black kids to take the stage - Bianca as top jockey perhaps?

I am with all you Riders, Rivals, Polo people, so evocative of English country life (in an insanely over-the-top kind of way). I've read them so many times it's all so real to me.

I also love Billy. But I think I'd really like a Luke.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:26:50

I was so excited when I moved to Gloucestershire.

Every vaguely horsey person I meet in my head assumes the mantle of a JC character.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now