Jilly Cooper has a new book :)

(327 Posts)
Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 13:45:45

It will be published in September and it's called "Jump"

I cannot wait

wheresmypaddle Mon 21-Jun-10 14:46:21

OOOH tell me this is not a wind-up?!?

I love Jilly and am looking for something to take my mind of splitting up with EXP- this will be just the ticket.

Thank you Alouiseg (and Jilly)!!

3BreastsInMyShirt Mon 21-Jun-10 14:50:22

BRILLIANT!! I so hope rupert is in it.

sharbiebowtiesarecool Mon 21-Jun-10 14:51:12

yay

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 14:56:26

I really really really hope it's back to the Riders, Rivals, Man Who days and not another Wicked!

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 15:00:11

Are you a Jilly Cooper officionado, then Alouiseg? I read some of her books when I was about 19 but haven't read any since. Did like them though.

LadyPeterWimsey Mon 21-Jun-10 15:02:32

I haven't read anything past Rivals, and don't think I would warm to her most recent stuff - but I still read 'Emily', 'Imogen', 'Prudence', 'Harriet', et al. They are funny and warm and sweet.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 15:09:57

es they are the ones I read!

Rosieeo Mon 21-Jun-10 15:11:14

Oh dear. I discovered Jilly Cooper in my teens and LOVED them, still have a real soft spot for them.

But that last one, 'Wicked' was weird. Thirteen year olds having sex doesn't do it for me and the whole thing was just a bit dodgy.

Anyone know what the new one is about yet?

LadyPeterWimsey Mon 21-Jun-10 15:16:52

FellatioNelson - I think they're her best - she does a good line in not-too-cutesy humorous romance in those. After that, there was too much adultery and too many puns for me.

missorinoco Mon 21-Jun-10 15:18:11

I thought that too about Wicked. I liked the plot, but was taken back as sex scenes for minors. Wondered ifit was a sign of my age though. Trying to remember how old the rampant cast in Riders and Rivals were, suspect only just over the age of consent for some of them.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 16:27:01

I bloody love her, she practically invented the Yummy Mummy without the element of vileness.

I've read all of them and got a little bored with the musical stuff but Ranaldini was such a top villain. Rupert Campbell Black must be about 150 years old by now but I expect he's still ravishing Tiggy all over the place. Apparently he was based on Andrew Parker Bowles shock.

Wicked was a bit of a departure from the norm but fair play to a 70 year old lady for still coming up with the raunch.

People are so snobby about her but she is absolutely the best story teller ever and I think she should be recognized for it.

Dame Jilly Cooper sounds pretty good.

Yes, you can tell I'm totally overexcited about the whole thing

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 16:28:25

I have had this on pre-order for a while. I utterly love Rivals but yes her recent stuff has not been so good.

But jump sounds horsey - yeay!

MayorNaze Mon 21-Jun-10 16:30:12

ooh grin

that is quite thrilling actually. i am currently working my way through old jilly in no particular order, mainly in response to a thread the oher week about poshness grin apparently la cooper is the absolute last word on what is posh and what is not grin

finished pandora last week, am keeping my eyes peeled for more charidee shop jilly paperbacks grin

sparklyblack Mon 21-Jun-10 16:35:25

Oh good! I may have to take this opportunity to re-read all her other books grin

I liked Wicked though, DD1 said she could well imagine certain people at school behaving like some of the characters!

Would like a return to Rupert Campbell-Black and his 'wildness' though I suspect as he's happily married (supposedly) now that won't be happening. Maybe his kids will have grown up more and this one'll have the next generation of them all in IYSWIM.

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 16:36:47

I'm re-reading her stuff now, so this is great news, I love her - although I though Pandora (or whatever the book after Score! was) was a bit pants and Wicked was just disturbing. Hopefully Jump will be a return to form.

Alouiseg, I completely agree. Why is Catherine Zeta Jones more deserving of a CBE than Jilly Cooper????

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:37:11

I bloody love Jilly Cooper, mind you I didn't read Wicked because I heard terrible things. I hold Jilly on such a high pedestal in my mind that I cannot bear her to be toppled.

Riders, Rivals, Polo are the holy trinity of her books, they are brilliant. They will be as treasured as Mrs Gaskell in years to come.

God knows how many times I have read those books. I think Jilly should write a recap of all the old lovely characters - Daisy France-Lynch, Lizzy vereker, Perdita macleod etc.

I always think that I would love to meet Jilly Cooper, and that she is a lovely woman. She only lives about 10 miles away from me. Tempted to go and peep over her hedges.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:38:54

Ooh I am so glad people agree with me - totally with you alouise, her writing (when on form) is utterly brilliant.

Yes she should be Dame Jilly by now, fgs.

Has anyone read Class as well? It's brilliant.

compo Mon 21-Jun-10 16:40:01

Polo was my fave, I loved the whole perdita/ luke thing, and Angel , yum!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:40:17

Also, you can dismiss her books as fluff, but i think there are few fiction writers who research the background details of their novels so much. Jilly C and Penny Vincenzi are excellent, imo.

LimaCharlie Mon 21-Jun-10 16:40:19

grin love love love Jilly - although like others I was a bit hmm at Wicked - very disappointing - its the only one I haven't re-read millions of times

I heart Rupert

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 16:41:21

Actually, according to Wiki, she was awarded an OBE in 2004 - so she already is a Dame. Quite right too.

MayorNaze Mon 21-Jun-10 16:42:23

so what order do they go int then?

doi need to read them in order?

compo Mon 21-Jun-10 16:43:50

Riders first
then rivals
then polo iirc
definietely read in order
I love billy too

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 16:44:04

I'm so glad she's a Dame but I think she deserves to be promoted to Queen at least.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:45:21

I didn't know that if you were an OBE you were a dame.

MayorNaze Mon 21-Jun-10 16:46:41

where does pandora come in that lot then?

i ahve actually written down that order to keep in my handbag blush

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:47:03

Dame isn't good enough. I think women should be made ladies in their own right.

Lady Jilly.

But Louise is right, she should be queen of us all.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:49:19

Riders
Rivals
Polo
Man who made husbands jealous
Appassionata
Score
Pandora
Wicked

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 16:50:54

Sorry, you're right, you have to be a GDE or a DBE to be a Dame. I can't get anything right today.

But yes, let's make her queen.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:50:56

Riders Rivals Polo excellent

It goes a bot pear shaped with Man Who Made

back on track with Appassionata but a deeply annoying heroine.

Again, slightly odd with score (it's a whodunnit)

Pandora is brilliant, excellent characters and very funny.

Have not read Wicked because I was too scared to as people said it was awful.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 16:51:49

<feels rather excited that I have met other Jilly Cooper fans>

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:01:21

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm onlt Amazon now for the 'Holy Trinity'. Damn. Looks like I'll have to tackle Wolf Hall another time. (secretly says 'Phew. Thank fuck for that - it was exhausting me.')

I really like Penny Vincezi as well - I suppose she's Jilly without the raunch? Very very elaborate plots - I agree, easy to dismiss as literary fluff but they don't half grip you. (Or grip one. wink)

I said I haven't read JC since I was 19, but I did read Class about 2 years ago. (not a novel though so didn't count it!) I loved it, but found it a tad dated. I'd love to see an updated version.

Re: PV, wasn't so keen on her last offering - can't remember its name, the one based around the motorway pile-up. It was a bit over-long and convoluted even by her standards. It could have been two-thirds the length, with some of the more tenous/silly sub-plots and characters axed, IMHO.

sayanything Mon 21-Jun-10 17:03:16

Vincenzi is nowhere near as funny as Jilly Cooper - you're in for a treat, FN.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:11:10

Vincenzi's period books are really good - the ones which are set in the present day (such as that motorway pile up one) are less good imo.

My fave Penny V's are Anotehr Woman (where a woman - who you never meet - jilts her husband at the altar) and the Lytton litereray dynasty trilogy.

Love a bit of Jilly - will order copy. But Alouiseg- Andrew Parker Bowles and ravishing Rupert - tell me it isn't so!!!!

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:11:13

No I agree not funny, but good plots anyway. So will JC I get funny and sex? Bargain!

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:14:47

I've read the first Lytton book, I've had the others on the shelf for ages but the right moment hasn't hit me yet. Read the one about the Lloyds scandal - enjoyed that. And the one about the Hollywood actor in England during WW2. (Sorry - rubbish at remembering the titles.) Plus the motoway one. That's it I think. Sorry A, Penny Vincenzi hijack.blush

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 17:15:06

I think i read somewhere that the new book is about NH Racing which would fit with the title! I didnt like Pandora very much. I liked Wicked especially as one of the characters had a baby called Wilfy!!!

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:16:32

Yep, funny, raunchy but most of all it makes me want to live in a sandstone house in Nether Lypiatt, dripping with wisteria and hosting outrageous parties.

Porridge - absolute gospel I'm afraid.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:17:37

Still on vincenzi theme, the Looyds one was quite good, there is also a very good one about an american marrying an Earl in the 60s, and also one where a woman in the 30s is left a fortune in a will.

Penny V books always have ludicrous titles which bear no relation to the actual content of the book, so I can never remember what they are bloody well called!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:18:49

The good think about living in Gloucestershire is shrieking in delight when you drive past as sign to a village which is also a Jilly Cooper character.

France Lynch
Somerford Keynes

There are more but have mental blank.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:19:23

Come to think of it I might have Another Woman on my shelf as well. I like to paperback buy in bulk and then leave them there for a year or two.blush And every time I go near an airport I buy four more, so I never get to the end of the pile.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:19:36
GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:20:49

lol at RCB on wikipedia.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 21-Jun-10 17:20:55

Theres a TV version been made of Octavia, supposed to be out last autumn but has been put back because of recession. Don't know if it will be any good. Can't imagine the characters will look how I picture them.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:23:04

Alouiseg my house drips in wisteria - you can come and be outrageous there.

<sobs>

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:24:05

lottie I also have some recollection of NH racing (she apparently just got part share in a racehorse) so YES, am hoping some horsiness back...

Maybe its time for the next lot of Campbell-Black kids to take the stage - Bianca as top jockey perhaps?

I am with all you Riders, Rivals, Polo people, so evocative of English country life (in an insanely over-the-top kind of way). I've read them so many times it's all so real to me.

I also love Billy. But I think I'd really like a Luke.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:26:50

I was so excited when I moved to Gloucestershire.

Every vaguely horsey person I meet in my head assumes the mantle of a JC character.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:27:28

Ah. It's on Wiki. It must be true.wink

Only read one Jilly Cooper but do love a good Penny Vincenzi, the thing is they are all very similar (which I like about them) but it means I get one from the library not realising I've already read it!

The latest one about the car crash was a bit weird, love the period ones though.

Might have to dip into Jilly. I do love a good epic book.

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:32:14

GetOrf were you on the Who Do Jilly Cooper Characters Look Like Thread a few months (?) ago?? I remember finding that ridiculously exciting.

(I have only read one PV book. It was about someone called Bard and was SHIT. She's not a patch on Jilly).

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 21-Jun-10 17:33:51

Oh I must have missed that Jilly thread sad

Try another Vicenzi Boudi - have never heard of one with bard in, must be one of her shite ones.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:35:17

Do you mean Brad? Was he the American GI turned Hollywood B-lister?

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 17:36:48

Just ordered them!! Excited now! Bang goes another fortnight where I meant to change the world and do the ironing.blush

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:38:49

The Dilemma.

Endless, tedious, obvious wank.

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:40:24

oh Fellatio! (I never thought I'd write that.) I am SO envious.

And her older stories are just glorious
Lisa & Co
Imogen
Harriet
Octavia
Bella
(am trying to remember who was who)
Someone who married a scottish chap and went to live on an island-Harriet or Bella?
Someone who had sex at Oxford once with a cad, and got pregnant, kept the baby and had to go and work as a nanny-
Someone who was a virgin who went on holiday to the South of France with someone who wanted to ravish her-Imogen
They are like Georgette Heyer
Snuggling down on a sofa with a hot chocolate, a real fire and the wind howling outside and a suitable novel, heaven

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 21-Jun-10 17:45:24

Harriet is the nanny one
Emily was the one who married the scottish chap

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 17:48:45

I have read Jenny Pitmans novels too about a lady trainer, They are very good!!

sparklyblack Mon 21-Jun-10 17:48:45

Bella was the 'glamorous actress' one who got kidnapped and taken to ?Spain.
Octavia was on a boat of some kind, met rugged Welsh type, hated him, fell in love with him.

My favourite was Harriet.

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 17:51:18

Harriet was my favourite too! I loved Cory!!

GeorginaWorsley Mon 21-Jun-10 17:51:44

I loved Jilly's novels from 1985 ish to 1995,
Rivals
Polo
Riders
Man who made husbands jealous.
I devoured them,as a Jilly character might say,or do wink
I loved the descriptions of the clothes,the houses,the sex....grin

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 17:53:09

I think I might have to track down all those old ones and re-read them too.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 17:54:53

When you've finished the books Fellatio you'll know that a napkin needs to contain an ecstasy tab and a condom...and nobody bothers with the food

Ah yes, less keen on Bella and Octavia, as they were horrendous heroines
And then they 'learnt' their lessons hmm

I fancied liked the welshman though

RuthieCohen Mon 21-Jun-10 18:01:30

HUZZAH!

My school had Riders in the library shock which certainly made up for their shoddy attempts at Sex Ed.

Jump has been pre-ordered, I don't know how I'm going to contain myself - I haven't read a decent bonkbuster for years

sharbiebowtiesarecool Mon 21-Jun-10 18:06:23

reading this thread is making more even more yay. yay

lottiejenkins Mon 21-Jun-10 18:14:17

ANother JIlly COoper fan here. I agree with most of you - Riders, Rivals and Polo are brilliant, the next three OK, Pandora and Wicked just meh.
Mind you my favourite book of hers is probably The Common Years, which I have just been re-reading for about the billionth time (and would defy anyone not to weep at the end...)

Oh and this will make some of you envy - I have, somewhere, a letter from Jilly Cooper, which is sadly addressed to one of my pseudonyms rather than having my name on - I reviewed Polo when it came out in paperback and apparently it's standard practice for her to send reviewers a nice letter.

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 18:23:28

I loved the whole Rupert and Taggie love story and read each new book in trepidation that they've broken up.

Also loved Janey Lloyd-Foxe and Daisy for their gloriously sluttish ways.

Felt very sorry for Jilly when her DH had an affair and the OW was very mean about Jilly.

SGB - I am very envious of you having a letter from her.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 18:27:16

Do I have to read Rivals Riders and Polo in any order? Are they related at all?

3BreastsInMyShirt Mon 21-Jun-10 18:29:28

you can read them in any order but its ever so exciting when you find cross over bits from book to book.

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 18:29:48

Yeap in that order Fellatio as they have some of the same cast.

I so wish I was going to read them for the first time.

I had to re-purchase those books as read them so many times my originals fell to bits.

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 18:30:40

Riders
Rivals
Polo

(you lucky lucky thing)

tracey I think The Man Who and the bonkers popstar whose husband had affair (forgot her name) was written around that time and based on that experience.

SGB many years ago I wrote to her for a charity related thing, she sent a lovely handwritten note saying sorry she couldn't help and explaining why. I love her.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 18:33:03

Yes!! They are part of The Rutshire Chronicles. Definitely Riders first then I think Rivals then Polo.

Massively jealous of SGB.

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 18:35:38

I might just write to her anyway...........her influences are deep, I called my dog Rupert

boudoiricca Mon 21-Jun-10 18:42:35

I think you should write and tell her that - I am sure she would be delighted / honoured...

DilysPrice Mon 21-Jun-10 18:44:47

Which is the Penny Vincenzi about Lloyd's? (coming late to the thread I'm afraid).

I do enjoy Jilly C, but get annoyed by her bee in her bonnet about bf mothers (and biological mothers of babies in general). I do understand that life must have been tough for adoptive mothers in the 1960s(70s?), but honestly, thirty years should be long enough for her to come to terms with the fact that bf in public does not inevitably make you into an exhibitionist sexless judgemental hippy bitch. Neither does a desire to spend time with your under 1 year old rather than whizz off to the South of France or wherever necessarily mean that you are neglecting your husband.
I feel better for getting that mini-rant off my chest.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 18:45:21

Why doesn't someone (not me!) ask if we can have her on for a live web-chat?

traceybath Mon 21-Jun-10 18:47:27

Jilly for a web-chat would be amazing.

I remember reading rivals shortly after my first love totally broke my heart - it cheered me up immeasurably.

SatinandTat Mon 21-Jun-10 18:55:04

I love Jilly too. After Rivals/Riders/Polo I loved Imogen which I read whilst working in Chester Library one summer in the 1980s hiding behind the book stacks. I still have the copy and reread it just recently. I used to love the descriptions of the clothes

Alouiseg Mon 21-Jun-10 19:04:04

Web chat would be fab, but I'd really love to ply her with gin and hope she spilled lots of secrets.

She must have been inspired or influenced by people around her.

tribpot Mon 21-Jun-10 19:13:10

Jilly is fantabulous.

Wicked was an absolute pile o' shite, I do so hope a return to HorseWorld (TM) will have given her the inspiration to reach her best level although frankly just avoiding the scenes of underage sex would be a good starter for ten.

We never got to find out too much about what happened to Tabitha after her redemption, so that would be good. And surely Caitlin and Archie could make an impressive return (ditto Lizzy and Freddie, Declan and Maud. the yummy Patrick and Cameron).

Ranaldini was all a bit too much pantomime villain for me - sexy-yet-evil? No, just a twat. And I sincerely hope Helen CB/Gordon/Ranaldini/[did she marry Lysander's dad?] hasn't gone through another 7 husbands in the interim.

FellatioNelson Mon 21-Jun-10 19:27:24

Can you imagine the hushed speculation at upper-crust dinner parties at which character is based on who, every time a book comes out?shock

In my current novel (the one in my head that I've been 'writing' for about three years) all of the main characters are based on real people. The challenge is to disguise them well enough not to get sued. Or punched. shock

Sidge Mon 21-Jun-10 20:10:10

Oh I love Jilly Cooper!

I don't give a toss that they're not highbrow literature (my DH and I call them cliterature grin) they are just so readable and the characters so absorbing.

I love all the debauchery, the depth of characterisation and the obviously-well researched plotlines.

I admit that Score and Wicked haven't been re-read like the older ones have but I hope the new one is more like the old Jilly.

My birthday is in September so I can see me asking for Jilly's new one as well as Lee Child's new one <faints with excitement>

LadyPeterWimsey Mon 21-Jun-10 20:19:07

SatinandTat - I've just reread Imogen again after a visit to the South of France, and grinned all the way through.

LimaCharlie Mon 21-Jun-10 20:57:49

Just had a look for the "who should play RCB in a film" thread but can't find it cos it was really amusing. Not sure if it was in Chat or I'm just crap at searching

squeal!! new Jilly!! around the same time I'm going to have a new baby!! something to read during the 3am feed then wink

Fontella Mon 21-Jun-10 21:03:57

The first novel of hers I read (can't remember what it was but it was one of the earlier ones) I thought very badly written and looked down my nose at. Being an English Graduate I'm a bit of a snob about such things, or at least I was grin. Never read another for years ... but when I did, how things had changed, or how I've changed, one or the other! Absolutely love her, laugh out loud funny, wonderful characters, well researched, no airs and graces or pretensions in the way she writes - I'm now a confirmed fan. Probably, if I could remember what that first book was, and read it now (older and wiser) I'd love it too.

Can't wait for the new one!

bratnav Mon 21-Jun-10 21:47:08

Eeeeeeeeeeee grin I luuuurve Jilly's books.

So much so that DD2 is actually named after a character blush

LimaCharlie Mon 21-Jun-10 22:08:01

don't know what your DDs name is bratnav but I wanted to call DD Tabitha or Fenella but DH vetoed both

bratnav Mon 21-Jun-10 23:59:16

DD2 is Caitlin (Rivals)

bratnav Mon 21-Jun-10 23:59:49

Oh I love Fenella for a girl

Alouiseg Tue 22-Jun-10 07:05:27

My ds2 is Archie - he was the dashing younger brother of Basil Badingham, from Rivals I think.

In one of the books there was a character called Pendle, anyone heard of that as a name since?

LimaCharlie Tue 22-Jun-10 10:58:08

Couldn't find the who'd play Rupert thread but here is another discussing who'd play which JC character in some of the older books.

Hope the Octavia filming takes off soon - the Riders that ITV televised yonks ago was crapola - not very true to the story. [Jilly Cooper geek]

MayorNaze Tue 22-Jun-10 11:10:52

i am not off to the library/charity shop specially for a JC hunt this afternoon, no not me...they had better be as good as you lot have talked them up to being...

mind you, i thought pandora and wicked (only ones i have read) were quite good...hmm

lottiejenkins Tue 22-Jun-10 11:32:57

I could see Richard Armitage being Rupert!!!

Alouiseg Tue 22-Jun-10 13:50:54

Or Rupert Penry Jones.

catalogoferrors Tue 22-Jun-10 14:16:23

Rupert Penry Jones all the way.

Squee!

I'll just have to reread riders/rivals/polo to get me in the mood...I was getting a little tired of all the vampires.

DS was going to be Tabitha, but he is a Sebastian instead(DD then sulked when she found out as she wanted to be Tabitha)

Wasn't Rupert Campbell Black blonde? If so it would have to be Penry Jones although personally I would like to see Richard Armitage naked in another role. grin

FolornHope Tue 22-Jun-10 16:05:09

did oyu just fucking say squee

I thought "squee" had been approved for use as it only caused mild offence?

Alicetheinvisible Tue 22-Jun-10 16:19:47

MayorNaze - look out for Class, it's the one i mentioned on that thread a week or two ago.

Getorf - i can imagine you (or what i expect you look like) romping around the Gloucestershire countryside grin

Love Jilly. She was interviewed on the racing (Derby/Oaks weekend i think) and was talking about her new book. It is very exciting grin

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 22-Jun-10 16:20:43

I have never heard of squee before that MN is common thread

I bet Jilly says "squee".

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 22-Jun-10 16:29:04

Second the love for Class.

Plus if you like Jilly and have never read any Nancy Mitford you MUST - Love in a Cold Climate and Pursuit of Love are very Jilly.

Now, Alice do you think i look like a Jilly heroine running round Gloucestershire a la Taggie or Perdita, or do you think I am more like Mrs Bodkin, or one of the dogs or horses.

(you may lie in your answer if you wish grin)

The dogs are always described in very flattering terms.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 22-Jun-10 16:32:13

And the horses as well, to be fair.

Except Sailor. He was an old nag.

God. I really am sad when i have encyclopaedic knowledge of teh names of the bloody animals in a book.

Alicetheinvisible Tue 22-Jun-10 16:38:02

Yes, but even the old nags were spoken of fondly grin

Getorf - i am thinking perhaps Lizzie Vereker or Georgie Maguire type smile

Alouiseg Tue 22-Jun-10 17:12:26

I want to be Janey she was Billy's wife and was always drinking too early in the day and being disgraceful.

I bet Richard Armitage would make a brilliant Declan.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 22-Jun-10 17:15:08

yes I was thinking I was more of a janey type. She looks like a laugh.

Or Daisy France Lynch.

Alouiseg - I think of you as Cameron - frighteningly organised in a YSL tuxedo.

Orlando Tue 22-Jun-10 17:26:59

Ooh - this is group therapy!! Thought I was Jilly's hugest, most anoraky and loyal fan ever but it seems I am mistaken.

She is an excellent, excellent writer: no-one can hold a candle to her when it comes to a well-placed metaphor or a perfect piece of lyrical countryside description, and she's the only person I know who can write horrible, selfish, spoiled heroes and heroines that you still care deeply about.

(I wanted to be Janey Lloyd-Foxe when I grew up as well. Until Taggie came along 2 years later and was a much more positive role model.)

lottiejenkins Tue 22-Jun-10 17:33:09

Ive just found Polo in a box of books at the back of our church left over from the booksale last weekend! Well worth 50p!! wink

FellatioNelson Tue 22-Jun-10 17:46:42

Yay! My holy trilogy has just arrived. Give praise for Amazon Prime - only ordered at about 17.15 yesterday - 24 hour turnaround - how impressive is that? I've just poured myself a vodka and tonic and I'm going to lie on the sofa and start the first one immediately. I just don''t care that it is pre-vodka watershed, and the kids haven't been fed. I shall allow myself one hour.

mrsfred Tue 22-Jun-10 17:48:51

GetorfMoiLand - the PV you were trying to remember was Wicked Pleasures.

jillhastwoponies Tue 22-Jun-10 17:55:29

Oh, I read the early ones ragged - Riders up to The man Who - but I didn't get on with the music ones and Wicked was just bizarre, I seem to remember she described a ten year old girl as having 'succulent thighs'? God knows how that got past her editor. I'll be glad, but surprised, if she returns to form.

LimaCharlie Tue 22-Jun-10 18:08:22

Fellatio - how Janey LF /Maud O'Hara - lying on the sofa drinking vodka with a book during the day grin

catalogoferrors Tue 22-Jun-10 18:39:07

Sorry for the word which caused mild offence, I have had quite a break from here and was unaware that there was a veto.

TBH I think anyone visiting this thread, a little like going on a bumsex titled thread to say you are offended by the subject matter, and expecting indepth academic discussions may be being rather optimistic.

FellatioNelson Tue 22-Jun-10 18:53:20

Lima Well I don't know who they are yet, but I've never been one to allow duty to stand in the way of a drinkie and good book!

(Yuk. 'drinkie' is horrid, isn't it? But I somehow imagine it might be pertinent if I'm to be compared to a JC character.)

catalog - don't worry about it. I can never find the bumsex threads to be offended by them. Believe me, I've looked.

madcapmyrtle Tue 22-Jun-10 20:14:52

Just seen this thread - fantastic! There was an article in Harpers and Queen a few years ago with a Jilly Cooper quiz and Elizabeth Hurley saying how much she loved the books...particularly the early ones. My friends and I used to have long conversations as teenagers about which of the early heroes we'd like to marry and which was our favourite book...I loved Harriet' and Cory Erskine. I re-read 'Emily' recently and thought Rory Balniel was pretty unpleasant!

LimaCharlie Tue 22-Jun-10 20:32:48

Fellatio they're all good characters - you can't fail to love them - really hope you enjoy the books after all the hype!

Are you starting with Riders?

Magdelena Tue 22-Jun-10 20:40:33

I love Maud and Declan slipping off upstairs for a shag all the time, so sexy!

And Daisy and Ricky Franch-Lynch were my favourite romance

LOve Jilly books.

FnD Tue 22-Jun-10 20:42:02

I just want to say that I love Dino Ferranti the most and am staking my claim to him now.
So there.
Have just got in from work and this thread has made my night.

I also always wanted to be Bella and find true love with Lazlo Henriques....swoon.

I always fancied Matt O'Connor - Imogen was probably my favourite of the early books, though I liked Prudence as well because of all the lovely weather descriptions.

FellatioNelson Tue 22-Jun-10 21:04:00

Yes I'm starting with Riders. Just finished chapter one. Blody hayfever's really playing me up tonight so I can only read slowly in between rubbing eyes and catching nose drips.shock (sorry TMI)

Can you all honestly remember all these leading men's names or have you had to refresh your memories quickly with google before posting?confused

dittany Tue 22-Jun-10 21:14:19

I loved Jilly Cooper when I was a teenager. And to my shame I'm ploughing my way through Wicked at the moment, because I saw it in the bookshop and couldn't resist some utter trash reading.

madcapmyrtle Tue 22-Jun-10 21:21:50

Solid Gold - It was a tough decision for me choosing between Cory and Matt - 'Imogen' does have some very funny bits particularly about Cable! When is Jilly Cooper's birthday? - shall we all send cards c/o her publisher?
There is obviously a huge Mumsnet fan club!

SuziKettles Tue 22-Jun-10 21:26:21

Ace I think - although dodgy moustache which I have to gloss over when I read it.

God I love them. I can pick up any one of the romances and open at any point to read because I basically know them off by heart blush

FnD Tue 22-Jun-10 21:26:23

Not only can I remember most of the leading mens names, I can quote too much of most of the books.

I love a new book and waiting to see how long before she uses one of her stock phrases - "joyous as otters" is one!

Am embarrassed now!

SuziKettles Tue 22-Jun-10 21:34:13

There're actually snippits of other writers in some of the early romances - just a paragraph or two: Nancy Mitford, Rosamund Lehmann and Rose Macauley are the ones I've spotted

...basically because as I've read each Jilly Cooper book a zillion times they jumped off the page at me when I read Love In a Cold Climate (or might be The Pursuit of Love), Invitation to the Waltz and The World My Wilderness.

The bit where Harriet stops her bike to watch the snow is from Invitation to the Waltz and the bit where Noel says "why do my children eat like they're gardening?" is from The World My Wilderness".

I spend A Lot Of Time in my bedroom reading as a teen..

LimaCharlie Tue 22-Jun-10 21:44:02

Fellatio I think the leading men probably made such a deep imprint on my teenage brain that they have stayed there forever - well that and the fact that I have re-read the books so many times.

FnD I know what you mean about her stock phrases - women referred to as an "old boot"; anyone over 10 stone is considered overweight - Riders "Tory heaving her 11 stone bulk around the cottage" - only ugly women breast feed as an excuse to "whip out a great grey tit at any opportunity" misquoting obviously - she's horribly un PC - still love it though grin

FnD Tue 22-Jun-10 21:52:09

Lima - you have just reminded me of the hideous Hilary in Riders - who nowadays would probaly post on here grin

I love how she always has a bit where the heroine (usually) is having a conversation with someone at a party, mishears and says "marvellous", for the other person to say "what? I said she had died"....

Alouiseg Tue 22-Jun-10 21:56:11

Porridge, I am too old, fat and disorganised to be Cameron. But I'm taking it as a compliment

Fellatio, you'll be hooked and your children are likely to remain unfed

I don't believe that for a moment Alouise wink
Have been larfing at everyone's recollections and am off to re-read Polo. Actually Richard Armitage could be Bas Baddingham.

Fellatio will resurface at the end of Riders, I think. Hopefully children will not have starved.

ashcloud Tue 22-Jun-10 22:27:33

I have actual feelings of physical excitement reading this thread!

Weirdly, I just finished reading Lisa and Co for the gufufillionth time. There is a story which is very similar to Octavia - 'Kate's Wedding'.

If I had to pick one of the men to marry, it would be Cory Erskine, but I love so many of them.

I actually loved The Man Who and Score, but I think she lost her way with the other music/art books, and Wicked was just shit.

Rivals is the best book I have ever read, and I don't care who knows it! Can't wait for Jump. smile

Blimey just stumbled on this thread after accidentally arranging threads in alphabetical order ! Another in the closet fan here - am amazed and impressed by who has posted. Put me down as another huge fan!

dearprudence Tue 22-Jun-10 23:19:19

I've reverted to my usual name in honour of this thread, after a few weeks spent as ashcloud.

madcapmyrtle Tue 22-Jun-10 23:27:54

This is interesting...Jilly's Top 10 Romantic Novels
link
I have been working my way through the list...'The Tortoise and the Hare' is a wonderful book, and after 'Middlemarch' I have several others in the 'to read' pile...all bought on Amazon Marketplace!

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 22-Jun-10 23:39:10

ashcloud - 'Kate's wedding' is my favorite in Lisa & Co - totally dippable into for ashot of romance.

I'm with SolidGold - I think it's Matt for me, although I agree that Cory is a close runner-up.

CJCregg Tue 22-Jun-10 23:51:37

Oh, what a fantastic thread to stumble on - to think I might have missed it!

Rivals is my favourite of all, love love love it. Love Declan (even if he is a cliched broody Irishman) and Maud, love mad Cameron who Jilly actually managed to make me feel sorry for, love the young O'Haras, love the parties - descriptions of Taggie's food always made me slaver - and boozing and general mad shagging.

Wasn't RCB partly based on Anthony Andrews, as well? Love the bit in Riders where he first meets Helen and tells her hunt-saboteur friend to 'go away - you're so ugly you're frightening my horse' or similar.

Favourite early ones are Imogen and Prudence. Actually went to Pendle Hill years after reading it, and was the only one in the car who had the faintest idea what it meant in Jilly terms.

I love Jilly. (Ok, someone shut me up now.)

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 09:48:58

Am I the only one who is deeply gratified that Dittany loves Jilly as well?!

I don't have to google anything. All details re Jilly novels are deeply ingrained in my memory - I even note when there are typos and mistakes (in Riders there is a character called Grania Pringle, in a later book she is referred to as Gloria, how shocking that I can't remember what I have in the fridge to cook for dinner but I have this useless info in my head).

I often have fantasies that I will bump into Jilly C in Cavendish House in Cheltenham and she will offer me a job as her PA/best mate/honorary daughter.

What a twat I am.

Someone up thread praises her lyrical countryside descriptions and the fact that she has deeply unpleasant characters which she makes you love - I agree SO much with that. Her countryside descriptions are really evocative, and I also think it is a kind of genius that she can create a rotten character who then somehoe becomes the hero - look at RCB in Riders, he is an utter areshole however by the end he is transformed into a hero. And his redemption is complete in Rivals when he meets Taggie.

If I seem to be taking this FAR too seriously, I actually did a dissertation on Riders, Rivals and Polo for English lit GCSE (the head of english was horrified, everyone else was doing jane Austen etc, but my englosh teacher stood up for me). Turned out that my coursework was the only one in the UK which was given 100% full marks. So cheers, Jilly, for my A* in GCSE!

LimaCharlie Wed 23-Jun-10 09:55:08

Well spotted GetOrf I missed Dittany's posting - it's like getting a big stamp of approval.

Off to find a JC novel to sit in the sun with instead of doing housework

Sidge Wed 23-Jun-10 10:27:27

GetOrf - you may be able to help me with this one with your encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Jilly!

I no longer have my copies of Rivals (one to hunt out at the charity shop!) but I'm sure in Rivals the character was Bas Bullingham, and by Polo he had become Bas Baddingham. Am I dreaming or was this the case?

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 10:34:47

Always Baddingham, I think. Tall, naughty, bar-owning brother of the evil Tony, Uncle to the fabulous Taggie, Patrick and Caitlin.

The Christmas and Winter scenes in Rivals were so good - I almost feel like I was at Patrick's 21st...

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 10:35:38

HALF-BROTHER, HALF-BROTHER - illegitimate son of a South American polo player, non?

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 10:40:52

Ooh, now when I first read Rivals it was in early 90s, and was paperback, and it was always Tony and Bas Baddingham.

But, for some reason to do with my Jilly obsession, I found a first edition of Rivals in Ilfracombe libaray, a hardback, and it had them as Tony and Bas Bullingham, like you say. So it could well be that JC was made to chamge the characters names for some reason in a subsequent edition. Perhaps there was a real like Bas Bullingham who didn't like the fiction version!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 10:43:06

Uncle to the Hon Archie, and two other children of Monica and Tony who were unnamed.

Was not uncle to Taggie, Caitlin and Patrick, who were declan O'Hara's kids (Caitlin did go out with Archie, so if they married would have been uncle by marriage).

GETORFMOILAND DO SOME WORK AND STOP LIVING IN JILLY COOPER LAND

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 10:46:13

oh dear - I hope this isn't going to cause trouble, in fact GetOrf, let me know when you're read it and I'll get it deleted, BUT...

when I wrote to her it was for a charity auction about having a character named after you in a book. And in Jilly's lovely letter back to me she explained to me she couldn't due to problems in the past with real life names and people being unhappy... so I reckon you're on to something there...

But probably it is that name, so don't want to cause any more drama...

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 10:47:03

oh God of course you're right I need more coffee (and to do some work)

Sidge Wed 23-Jun-10 10:48:38

Thank you, I am such a pedant it has been bugging me for ages! I had the hardback of Rivals so maybe as you say the publishers made her change it by the time they produced the paperback.

I imagine there is a real Hon Bullingham who didn't want to be associated with such scurrilous activities!

Orlando Wed 23-Jun-10 11:05:48

(smug face to have won Gerof's agreement with the countryside description comment - and she got A* Jilly!)

Seriously, I learned so much about plants and stars from Jilly. Was entirely thanks to her descriptions of the 'sexy, rank smell of wild garlic' and 'soapy hawthorn' that I started to notice green stuff growing in ordinary-looking verges, and looking up to see if I could see Mars and Orion.

Her secondary characters are also just brilliantly drawn - even the most minor walk-on parts in the short novels. There's a shop assistant in Emily who rakes a midge bite with a long scarlet nail and says in a bored voice 'puce is very in this year,' and the fabulous Miss Billings the office crone who is ejected from the board meeting in Octavia, 'displaying the same sort of enraged reluctance as a cat shoved out in a rainstorm. Any minute now I expected her to appear at the window, mewing furiously.'
That still raises a smile whenever I think of it. So succinct, but so effective.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 11:11:37

OOh that's probably it then, must be some chinless wonder who was offended by one of her characters.

LimaCharlie Wed 23-Jun-10 11:12:12

We so need to e-mail this to Jilly - she could make a fab mumsnet novel

RhodaMorgenstern Wed 23-Jun-10 11:32:06

I met Jilly once many years ago as I used to work for her former agent. She is EXACTLY as you would think her to be which makes me love her books more (especially the Imogen/Prudence/Harriet etc. series).

lottiejenkins Wed 23-Jun-10 11:33:36

The Bullingham name was changed due to the reasons you said,.........

FellatioNelson Wed 23-Jun-10 11:36:01

My DH walked in the door last night, took one look at my newly opened package of goodies and said:

'Oh, I see. Fancied a bit of trash did you? That's not like you.'

shock I told him I had it on good authority that they were most certainly not trash - just populist fiction of the highest order. I felt quite affronted on behalf of all of you us.

I know what you mean about the 11 stone 'bulk' of Tory! And she's quite tall as well, poor girl!

But then being even a little bit fat is worthy of death by firing squad to the upper-middle classes.

Picked a REALLY bad week to start this - I've got a squillion people coming to stay this weekend, and a posh meal to plan/prep and cleaning and spare beds to make. Shit. I should never have joined this thread.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 11:37:17

I am so delighted that Jilly seems as nice as I have always thought.

I bet she was a scream when she was younger as well. Her books about when she was newly married are so funny. I love that bit where she says that she and her her husband were having a row, he was just putting a pair of trousers on and got his leg caught and tumbled over, she roared with laughter and the argument was diffused, well that juat makes me love her.

CJCregg Wed 23-Jun-10 12:54:57

I also met her, years ago when I worked in publishing. She was gorgeous. Warm and huggy and funny and friendly. None of us got any work done that day - we all stood around chatting to her for as long as we could. (Still have treasured signed copy of Polo grin.)

She is tiny, though - very small frame. So I suppose 11 stone would seem a lot to her (not to me, though blush).

Am really tempted now to order all the novellas. Except there's nothing quite like steeping yourself in a 700-page Jilly ...

frikonastick Wed 23-Jun-10 12:56:16

i love jilly cooper! i have the holy trinity, the same 3 paperbacks, since they were first out. they have moved with me to 7 different countries and 28 different houses. and i read them at least once every year. had no idea that other people loved her so much too. this is a totally cool thread

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Jun-10 13:05:02

I love Jilly too and although I have not got my old copies any more, on the strength of Dittany liking her I think I just might order a new set grin

I always think about the great grey tits line when I BF my youngest. I think it's a fair description of me ...

LimaCharlie Wed 23-Jun-10 13:46:09

lol me too balloonslayer I must admit I did worry a bit when FnD said I reminded her of Hilary in Riders as I thought it meant she had secret powers and could see me grin

I am more Hilary in RL but always wanted to be Cameron or Cable

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 13:54:29

Lol at great grey tits. When finished breastfeeding I always thought her epithet about triangular tits suited me grin

Isn't it wonderful that people who have met her loved her. I am so pleased.

I am also delighted that there are other people who have carted great big paperbacks all over - I utterly treasure my JCs - I still have the original Riders which I bought when I was 14. It's dog eared and about 8 of the last pages have gone, but I will not part with it.

MayorNaze Wed 23-Jun-10 14:07:05

Alicetheinvisible - i hold you entirely responsible for my sudden and unhealthy interest in jilly cooper grin

am supposed to be reading the damned united (god it is boring so far...4 pages in blush)for book group on tuesday...can we not have a jilly month instead???

MayorNaze Wed 23-Jun-10 14:13:40

omg having caught up with thread GetOrf i will be CATing you for a copy of your coursework as soon as i have finished all the jillys (so not any time soon then...blush) - would LOVE to read that!!! and expect the lady herself would be v impressed as well grin

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 23-Jun-10 15:16:51

Oh no I never ever got a copy of the coursework DAMMIT

I was all set to go back to school to do my A levels, however had a rotten old time of it (ran away from home) and never went back to school to collect my stuff.

The first i heard of my 100% result was when I went to a school prizegiving in the October and my thrilled english teacher told me. I think she saw it as a massive v sign to the po faced head of english that sometyhing written about a 'trashy' novel could score so highly.

I still haven't got my GCSE certs either.

I longed for years to write to the Northern Examination board to get a copy of teh coursework but life intruded.

Al the qualifications I got since - A levels, degree, MEng - none have compared to my english GCSE grin

Alicetheinvisible Wed 23-Jun-10 15:39:37

grin MayorNaze

LimaCharlie Wed 23-Jun-10 16:32:53

oooh GetOrf if you ever do get a copy (and please please do) can we all read it - bet we'd have a great time!

dittany Wed 23-Jun-10 18:06:07

"on the strength of Dittany liking her I think I just might order a new set"

Oh no! You're not allowed to do that BalloonSayer. Her sexual politics are horrendous which is why she is my secret shame!

Mind you anyone who has allusions to Nancy Mitford in their work has to be a good egg.

Alouiseg Wed 23-Jun-10 18:32:46

Lolling at Dittany and the "secret shame".

It's rather like terribly powerful men being taken to a torture chamber and being flogged while wearing a nappy

Just a Little bit of light relief from the task at hand.

MrsDrOwenHunt Wed 23-Jun-10 18:50:00

alouiseq I LOVE YOU xx i am so so so sadly excited that she has written another book i have read all of hers and am far too excited about it!!! i read really fast and when i start a good book i cant put it down!!!

FnD Wed 23-Jun-10 19:07:46

Now Lima, I never said it was you who reminded me of Hilary or should that be Thrilarygrin

I always remember Rupert saying to Billy that sleeping with thrilary was like being starving, eating a pork pie then realising it was a month out of date...

Do you see how I am writing like I actually know these men...

FellatioNelson Wed 23-Jun-10 19:49:11

Rupert's obviously a right charmer then?hmm

Either that or Thrilary is a munter.
Which book are they in?

Alouiseg Wed 23-Jun-10 19:51:30

Hilary?... I can't remember a Hilary, can someone remind me please.

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 20:03:09

Hmmm... she was one of Rupert's women in Riders. Very good friend of Helen's post Marcus's birth. Rather unflatteringly portrayed by Jilly as decidedly middle class. She of the breastfeeding and flashing grey triangular tit fame as above. And with "armpit hair you could plait" - how and why do I remember this shit!

She had a henpecked husband (Julian?? No... Getorf will know - I remember he took little Germaine sledging during one of Rupert and Hilary's trysts (that's a very Jilly word isn't it?)).

Alicetheinvisible Wed 23-Jun-10 20:09:37

Crispin

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 20:15:26

Phew!

Thanks - that was going to drive me crazy...

I do remember Rupert being dragged to Hilary's very non-U dinner party where woman wore dirndl skirts and had unpainted faces flickering in the candlelight (sounding more and more like MNet).

InThisSequinBraYesYouOlaJordan Wed 23-Jun-10 20:19:38

I have always wondered about the Bullingham?Baddingham name change. The TV company changes its name from Corinthian to Corinium also.

I don't think Grania Pringle and "Gloria" are the same - Gloria is a "famous beauty" who Rupert has a photo of in his downstairs loo wih "So happy to mount you - Gloria" inscribed on it, Grania is massive (i.e., over ten stone) pie eating Rider.

Janey's a good character, although Billy is too good for her.

There are loads of characters who could be explored in Jump - Fen and Dino, Tab, Perdita and Luke...

seeker Wed 23-Jun-10 20:22:04

I was so disappointed in Wicked - I do home the new one is as good as Rivals!

seeker Wed 23-Jun-10 20:24:29

Dd is reading Riders now. I am very nervous! Hoping she's skipped the threesome stuff!

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 20:27:40

I love all the Jilly pedants coming out of the woodwork!

I do think Gloria was a misprint for Grania "so happy to mount you :0" Pringle, however.

I think you're thinking of the trap driving lesbian who chased Helen around a drinks party, Sequins? Monica???

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Jun-10 20:28:13

I think there was a TV executive who had a very similar name to Bullingham. Apparently.

My fave gaffes of Jilly's were saying that Lysander called his puppy after Maggie Tulliver after only reading to page 4 of The Mill on the Floss, when she has not actually put in an appearance by page 4.

And in another book a chip pan catches fire and someone manfully puts it out by throwing a bucket of water on it. Whereas if you do that in real life you . . . er . . . die.

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 20:29:24

oh, that was meant to be a not a shock

FnD Wed 23-Jun-10 20:30:50

Grisdela is the rider who had a crush on Fen!

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jun-10 20:34:44

Oh yes! Griselda whose nerve endings were covered in fat from all the junk food she ate! Hahaha - I DO love Jilly.

LimaCharlie Wed 23-Jun-10 21:29:00

Wasn't Griselda one of the Olympic winning trio where Rupe says something like "A cuckold, a schoolgirl and a rip-roaring dyke.." in true C-B style

Oh and Thrilary served "jugged hare of all things in August" at said dinner party

Do you think we're taking this a bit too seriously? grin

sayanything Wed 23-Jun-10 22:05:44

Hilary must not be one of JC's favourite names. The Hilary in Apassionata is a distinctly unattractive individual too.

CJCregg Wed 23-Jun-10 22:56:12

Rupert never 'says' anything, he always 'drawls'. And has sapphire blue eyes. His seduction of Cameron in Spain (?) is eye-watering.

<sighs>

BalloonSlayer Thu 24-Jun-10 07:59:17

I still love the line about the pork pie {grin]

tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 24-Jun-10 08:25:01

Dittany, I'll join you under the Bad Feminist blanket, as long as I can bring a torch so I can read my Jillys without anyone knowing.

Although, I agree with everyone else, Wicked really pushed it too far for me, went well beyond secret shame and into - well, just squickiness, really. I couldn't shake off the fact that the characters were all about 13.

And I could have done without the pages and pages of the Awful Working Mother character, too, and I'm sure there was another breastfeeding big grey tits reference.

I'm trying to decide if I can bear to pre-order Jump and pay hardback price. <wails>

FnD Thu 24-Jun-10 08:52:03

The only time Jilly mentions breastfeeding in a glamorous way is when Janey has her baby.

Anyway back to Rupert - I made a schoolgirl error, thanks CJ, you are absolutely right, Rupert only ever drawls. And this is part of the reason why he never did it for me - I think he would look at me like a prok pie a month out of date!

Whereas Dino loved Tory's 11 stone hulking mass - which gives me hope...

FellatioNelson Thu 24-Jun-10 09:41:23

Hmm. Squickiness is a nice word. I might have to use that somewhere. I'll leave it a few days so I can take full credit.

CJCregg Thu 24-Jun-10 09:54:59

FnD, Janey's breastfeeding is only glamorous because she's necking champagne ... so that's all right, then!

Reading Jilly makes me wish I'd lived in the 70s. Everyone smoked, drank and had riotous dinner parties and it just all sounds such a laugh (when your husband isn't off shagging a starlet, of course). Just, somehow, a nicer time, less stress than we all accept as the norm now. Yikes, I must clean those rotting rose petals off my lenses ...

I also loved The Common Years, especially because I lived near Putney and - again - Jilly made it seem much more exciting and beautiful than I could see on my own.

Remember the story of her leaving the original Riders manuscript on a 22 bus? shock

I love this thread.

boudoiricca Thu 24-Jun-10 10:20:57

In fact, weren't Janey's breasts as warm and appealling as labrador puppies? "squirming" was the word as I recall?

sayanything Thu 24-Jun-10 10:21:28

Dino loved Tory? I thought Jake loved Tory and Dino loved Fen, her sister?

Alicetheinvisible Thu 24-Jun-10 10:30:26

Dino was lovely to Tory, not in love with her. He often told Fen off for being horrid to her sister (i believe)

FellatioNelson Thu 24-Jun-10 10:34:39

ER, excuse me people - I'm only on chapter two of this book! Shan't need to read it at this rate. angry

Can't resist looking at the thread though.blush

Alicetheinvisible Thu 24-Jun-10 10:35:26

Sorry blush

Can't believe it is taking you this long grin

FellatioNelson Thu 24-Jun-10 10:39:16

I am having a very busy week with other things that need to get done urgently and I daren't pick it up to be honest! At least with MN I can wander away and come back every 20 minutes. That doesn't work with reading!

Alicetheinvisible Thu 24-Jun-10 10:41:15

Especially with Riders!

MayorNaze Thu 24-Jun-10 11:56:03

oh ffs, do you all live in my town? NO jilly to be had in library OR charidee shops. and we have MANY charity shops angry

i'm checking amazon right now and i'm warning you...if there are low stock/sold out then i will GET you all...somehow...angry

and am still only on page 4 of the damned united...pls tell me book club is cancelled this month...<<hopeful>>

GetOrf - a travesty that we cannot read your coursework

LimaCharlie Thu 24-Jun-10 23:07:49

Where's everyone gone? Are you all tucked up reading Rivals or something?

CJCregg Thu 24-Jun-10 23:13:39

I think everyone's exercising restraint for Fellatio's sake.

<what a fucking wonderful sentence that was to type>

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 25-Jun-10 09:44:45

Lol at everyone

I do think that it was a missprint - Grania Pringle is in the photo 'so happy to mount you' in Riders, in Polo it is Gloria as described in the same photo.

The great fat woman is Griselda Hubbard. I love the comment which RCB makes when Griselda has to pull out of the Olympics because she has pulled a groin muscles 'shafting some chambermaid'.

I think JC is hugely influenced by Nancy Mitford - you can see it in a load of desciptive terms, descibring one of the babied (Marcus CB iirc) as a 'howling lemon', a baby in Nancy Mitford was described as a howling orange in a black wig.

Mind You I adore all things Mitford so not a bad thing to emulate.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 25-Jun-10 09:46:25

Quote from Love in a Cold Climate which to me sounds so Jilly - 'I hear Miss Kroesig is training to be a vet. First sensible thing I have heard about any of them, you simply can't have great lumbering girls like that cluttering up the ballrooms, is simply not fair on anybody' (paraphrase)

boudoiricca Fri 25-Jun-10 12:25:50

Monica Carlton was the trap-driving, pyjama-wearing, moustache-adorned Helen fan at the drinks party in Crittledon, which she left with Malise to Rupert's utter amazement and dismay...

LimaCharlie Fri 25-Jun-10 13:27:59

Hmmm wonder if Monica Carlton could then have married Tony Baddingham as she then left him for - was it Dame Edith?

[spends far too much time thinking about Jilly Cooper-dom and not doing housework]

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 25-Jun-10 13:42:10

No, Monica Carlton was in mid 50s in what would have been early 1970s.

Monica Baddibgham was in her mid 40s in late 1980s.

<also thinks far too many brain cells wasted in Jilly C characters>

That's another one - wasn't it Dame Enid in Rivals and Dame Edith in Appassionata.

<tsk>

I only read pandora and score. Looks like i should make list in order and read them all.
grin

boudoiricca Fri 25-Jun-10 13:57:58

Also, I think Monica Carlton was pretty clearly never the marrying kind. Given Rupert's (?) quip about siring her Welsh cobs herself.

Monica Baddingham was a late convert (bless her). And was with Tony long enough to spawn too...

LimaCharlie Fri 25-Jun-10 14:34:30

Clearly my JC knowledge is very patchy and I must therefore spend the next few weeks before the DC break up revising. Very much in awe of you JC experts.

Diva - you've def missed the best - Riders and Rivals are so so much better - Polo fab as well.

liath Fri 25-Jun-10 21:36:30

I wish I lived in Jilly Cooper-land, with its acid-green trees and duck-egg blue sky sad. I reckon if you shrunk Richard Armitage a bit he'd make a cracking Jake.

Does anyone remember a very dodgy TV attampt at Riders with Michael Praed in it?

glitterkitty Fri 25-Jun-10 22:12:31

I LOVE Jilly. Wasnt Declan based on Terry Wogan? grin

I remember Cameron letting out an enormous fart on the balcony of her apartment and Rupert appearing on the next one and drawling that '...it would frighten the pigeons'.

And the honeymoon (?) threesome with RCB & Billy eating tuna off Janeys breast- wasnt she 3 months up the duff at that point? hmm And poor Helen 'as dry as the inside of a scotch egg despite Janeys ministrations'.

Dreemagurl Sat 26-Jun-10 10:43:04

I am so excited about the new Jilly book - have been avidly Googling constantly for the past few years in the hope that she would release a new one. Thank you for giving me hope! My daughter is due in October but I don't think I can wait till then to read it

Loving the fact that there are so many JC geeks out there. Am re-reading the novels again for the umpteenth time and am halfway through The Man Who. No housework is getting done and my OH is becoming increasingly annoyed with me as I ignore him in favour of Jilly (although he has agreed that we can move to Gloucestershire when no. 2 is on the way!! )

Haven't read any of the Bella / Octavia novellas yet but am desperate to now - is there any particular order I need to read them in??

LimaCharlie Sun 27-Jun-10 20:31:30

Don't recall any link between the girls names books so you're safe to read in any order Dreemagurl*.

*liath
yes I remember it was crap grin

LimaCharlie Tue 29-Jun-10 14:53:04

Where are you all? Have you all swanned off to Penscombe or something?

I'm working my way through Rivals again as I can't find my copy of Riders - very annoying

SeoMum Tue 29-Jun-10 15:07:26

Just seen this thread and soo pleased, well tied too as just started re reading Riders, may go back through the rest of the series in time for the new book!
Really hope to see some of the old characters but they will be ancient!
Reading Riders and realising how cheap things were (getting a round for a fiver) even in the high society if its up to date will be interesting to see if she's captured them.
First time I read Riders Penscombe and that lifestyle was a million miles away from reality now I meet these sorts of people through work! (I think that makes me staff lol)

traceybath Tue 29-Jun-10 15:08:42

I just love how many people love Jilly and some surprises too - got irrationally annoyed the other day when someone was sniffy about Jilly.

Do you remember seeing her on a programme where she had her hair cut out of her trademark style and she hated it?

CJCregg Tue 29-Jun-10 20:51:15

"Where are you all? Have you all swanned off to Penscombe or something?"

Hmmm - I'm meeting a dashing showjumper in the Golden Lion ...

... or am I being seduced on the beach at midnight in Port les Pins?

... or at Olympia in Christmas week, falling asleep in a horsebox?

... or at Declan and Maud's party, listening to him quote Yeats?

Just for starters!

Alouiseg Tue 29-Jun-10 20:56:42

I am dancing naked in the rain at the end of a boiling summer day.

In my dreams

WhamBam Tue 29-Jun-10 20:59:19

*Does wee jig of excitement* This thread is bizarre timing for me, I was idly googling jilly cooper this afternoon hoping there was news of a book, and lo here it was on mumsnet. You stars.

Something about a beautiful british summer in the countryside gets me in the mood for Super Cooper. Totally appreciate that Wicked was shite, but loved RCB doing his GCSE in English and getting totally into Jane Austen.

I was on that thread about what actors should play what characters and for the life of me I can't remember who i said. But i know they were inspired grin

glitterkitty Tue 29-Jun-10 21:00:53

Just finished Imogen - lovely- and now reading Prudence.

She likes her heroes macho and bossy, dosent she? grin

Am loving the outfit descriptions (skin tight bermudas and braces with cheesecloth shirt- green cut out culotte dress wtf!?)

WhamBam Tue 29-Jun-10 21:01:23

CJCregg declaiming Yeats if you don't mind

LimaCharlie Tue 29-Jun-10 21:27:31

Love it CJCregg

CJCregg Tue 29-Jun-10 21:31:36

Glitterkitty - two of my favourites. Don't know what's stopping me one-clicking them from Amazon, apart from the fact that I'm broke ...

WhamBam, you're quite right. Declaiming.

'There is grey in your hair.
Young men no longer suddenly catch their breath
When you are passing;'

Poor Maud. Always thought of Geraldine James when I pictured her.

SuziKettles Tue 29-Jun-10 21:40:01

lol glitterkitty - I've spent years trying to work out what skin tight bermudas with braces and a cheesecloth shirt would actually look like because it sounds really unatractive - wasn't it called her clown outfit or something?

mrswill Tue 29-Jun-10 21:40:29

Oh dear god!!! A new Jilly out??! <<hyperventilates>>

Im a massive reader, and Ive throughly enjoyed her storytelling, and Ive read my favourite books of hers countless times. Dont flame me for this, but I think shes the modern day Jane Austen. I especially loved Rivals, Polo and The man who. Rivals had such a moving story about rupert and taggie falling in love, I hope it includes them in it. <<mrswill gathers herself to stop gushing>>

Didnt make it through Wicked! much to my disappointment as the underage shenanigans were a bit much. But as some has said, when shes on form, I doubt she could be bettered. Her characters leap out from the pages, and form like real people in your mind. Im so excited!

glitterkitty Tue 29-Jun-10 21:47:39

Yes suzi- 'she was peculiarly sensitive to clothes!'

Oh! just reading about Pru and her first walk with the lovely hmm Ace- with a hangover please note- '...you should try professor copeland if you want serious conversation, she snapped, and did a couple of cartwheels...'

Err, yesss... random cartwheeling?

And now Bernice has just arrived. grin

SuziKettles Tue 29-Jun-10 21:50:35

I love it! Actually Prudence is possibly my favourite. I re-read Bella the other night though and that's so good too - "enough scurf to bread a veal chop" What a way with words grin

And Harriet...oh, and Imogen. Not so fussed about Emily - I never really believed the happy ending in that one somehow.

dearprudence Tue 29-Jun-10 21:58:15

I love Prudence best of the romances. Have only just come back to this thread after a few days away. I'm going to check back if we've discussed the dress with the huge cut-outs front and back.

glitterkitty Tue 29-Jun-10 22:01:54

I liked Emily, but yes it was a total mad fantasy.

Anyone remember a short story in 'Lisa & Co'- Kates wedding? Another canal boat, with a titsy blonde in leopardskin bikini, and luscious Tod the painter, who paints a bus for Lisa after she dumps pipe-sucking smug Hugh? and the really grim sex scene where tears soak into her ears?

CJCregg Tue 29-Jun-10 22:03:43

Suzi, I totally agree about Emily. Rory whatsit the sistershagger ... nah. Cory Erskine, on the other hand ...

Didn't Bella wear just dungarees to the races? Those were the days.

glitterkitty Tue 29-Jun-10 22:05:22

LOL dearpru! Yes I couldnt work that dress out- someone examines her navel- I am envisaging a circular tummy cut out?

dearprudence Tue 29-Jun-10 22:11:15

glitterkitty - yes, circular cut-out I think. She had to take it off to go to the loo and got caught by Ace having a pee in the nude.

I just re-read Lisa & Co and Kate's Wedding has definite shades of Octavia.

CJCregg - Rory Balniel. I always wanted Emily to go off with Finn. He seemed much nicer. I'll fight you for Cory though.

CJCregg Tue 29-Jun-10 22:14:16

dearprudence, that's ok - I'm too busy chasing Declan O'Hara.

Rory Balniel was a bit too Bronte for me. It's a long time since I've read it (step away from the one-click button) but I don't think he had a shred of a sense of humour. An early prototype, she had to get a few wrong before delivering the goods.

dearprudence Tue 29-Jun-10 22:22:14

Which of the characters do you all think you most resemble?

I'll have a think...

LimaCharlie Tue 29-Jun-10 22:22:47

I always fancied Jack from Prudence and Kit from Harriet. The men def got better in the Rutshire chronicles - although its always ones with double barrelled names - Billy LF; Declan OH; Ricky FL

[slapper emoticon]

glitterkitty Tue 29-Jun-10 22:33:11

I think I am most like...Rupert

dearprudence Tue 29-Jun-10 22:45:13

Really glitterkitty? Do you have blond hair swept back in two wings above your ears?

I'd like to look like Maud but suspect I'm a bit more Lizzie Vereker.

LimaCharlie Tue 29-Jun-10 23:11:00

I'd like to look like Chessie or Daisy F-L but am more Tory Lovell - only heavier than her "heaving her eleven stone bulk around the cottage"

WhamBam Wed 30-Jun-10 12:47:34
Alouiseg Wed 30-Jun-10 17:26:15

Beautiful, but definitely not red brick, it had to be the mellow Gloucestershire stone.

This is why it can never translate onto the screen because everyone pictures things a bit differently.

I nominate Daniel Day Lewis as Declan.......obviously they'll ask us to cast due to our encyclopaedic knowledge of the books. wink

lottiejenkins Wed 30-Jun-10 17:32:06

Im just reading Polo again. Loved Ricky's conversation with Daisy about "smelling like a ramblers crotch!" grin

WhamBam Wed 30-Jun-10 18:53:06

Alouiseg - agree with you about the redbrick. I meant the style of the place, and also the cottages were a lot less tudor. Picky mares we are grin

InThisSequinBraYesYouOlaJordan Wed 30-Jun-10 19:52:13

Penscombe is definitely honey coloured.

I thought Declan was more like Antony Clare?

Who do you think Jilly herself is - is she Lizzie Vereker? Or are Lizzie and James early prototypes of Richard and Judy?

Alouiseg Wed 30-Jun-10 20:26:52
dearprudence Wed 30-Jun-10 20:58:39
Alouiseg Wed 30-Jun-10 21:04:22

Definitely! You found it DearPrudence.

I can imagine a horse being ridden into the ballroom.

I might change my name to a Cooper Character!

InThisSequinBraYesYouOlaJordan Wed 30-Jun-10 21:23:23

Alouiseq - that's exactly what it's like! Needs to be big enough for Rupert to ride the horse into the hall at the party where Helen cries over her ruined eau-de-nil carpet...

Alouiseg Wed 30-Jun-10 21:31:19

I always wanted to punch Helen, complete wet blanket.

I think she was described as Dresden China, beautiful but fragile. I always thought of her as a bit of a Princess Diana character, the real heroines were more gutsy.

< no offence to Dianaphiles>

dearprudence Wed 30-Jun-10 22:17:02

I just started The Common Years - I've never read it before, as I'm not a huge fan of Jilly's non-fiction.

But there's a scene where Felix has had meningitis and Jilly has a conversation with Emily that's exactly like the conversation in Harriet when Jonah has meningitis. Does anyone know the story behind this - did it happen in real life and then she put it in a book, or did she take something from an earlier book and put it in The Common Years?

It's just that she seems to be writing Riders in the early part of The Common Years, and I'd have thought Harriet was written quite a bit earlier than this.

Perhaps I care just a bit too much... blush

LimaCharlie Wed 30-Jun-10 22:38:23

Haven't read much of her non fiction prudence as tried "How to survive christmas" and got bored of it - much prefer her outrageous novels. Agree with Alouise that house has to be Penscombe - what about this for the Priory

Alouiseg Thu 01-Jul-10 15:13:36

Yup. That's the priory, I did imagine it to be set within a dark and gloomy forest for some strange reason.

First person to find Valhalla, complete with tower wins the location scout job!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 01-Jul-10 15:18:46

mrswill you are in good company - loads of us think she's a modern Jane Austen. GCSE english students will be studying Jilly in the year 2130!

I liked the Common Years. You can see where she gets a lot of her characterisation for her novels from the people she encounters in real life.

glitterkitty Thu 01-Jul-10 21:25:59

I liked the common years too.

Have just finished Octavia and dear God, the ending¬

'...But i warn you, baby, even if we have to fight like cats, i'm going to wear the trousers. you're going to do what i tell you, and if you start upstaging me, i'll put you down. the boys from the valley are like that. we keep our women in the packground and we beat them if they give us any trouble, but we know how to love them '.

'suddently i felt my knees giving way with lust'.... hmm

<makes mental note to NEVER go near a boy 'from the valley' > grin

Alouiseg Thu 01-Jul-10 21:38:21

sighs when men were men...........

<gets excommunicated from mumsnet>

dearprudence Thu 01-Jul-10 22:25:13

Oh yes, that ending to Octavia is a little dodgy. I usually read that bit pretty quickly.

CJCregg Thu 01-Jul-10 22:35:29

<puts Octavia at bottom of list to re-read>

<thinks dreamily of dishy Matt in Imogen>

<gives up and goes back to default Declan-love>

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 02-Jul-10 09:46:39

dearprudence - I think the Harriet/Imogen/Prudence lot were short stories that she then rewrote later on to expand into (short) novel length. Maybe she added the meningitis conversation then to expand the plot?

I can't really read Octavia - it and Bella are my least favourite. But whoever mentioned Kate's Wedding in Lisa and Co - I loved that one!

WifeofSportacus Fri 02-Jul-10 21:05:56

Beyond excited. Matt from Imogen! Oh yes. Closes eyes and dreams of being taken to South of France for a make-over...

LimaCharlie Wed 28-Jul-10 15:14:59

Just giving this a wee bump as I've noticed a synopsis on Amazon

LimaCharlie Wed 28-Jul-10 15:16:38

"Rupert s delectable god-daughter Amber" that would be Amber Lloyd-Foxe -no?

LimaCharlie Wed 28-Jul-10 21:24:55

Come back you lot and join me in getting excited

LimaCharlie Thu 29-Jul-10 20:49:16

Right this is my last bump in the vein hope of some Cooper-esque chat and then I'll give up sad

Oh I can't wait for this to come out. What sort of genius calls a horse Mrs Wilkinson?

Presumably Amber is indeed Amber Lloyd-Fox, daughter of the fabulous Janey.

lottiejenkins Fri 30-Jul-10 11:48:19

Am so excited about this cant wait!!

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 30-Jul-10 11:51:05

OOh I love Janey Lloyd Foxe.

I bet Amber is a cracking character.

LimaCharlie Fri 30-Jul-10 16:42:49

Yay I'm not alone grin now where is Alouiseg; glitterkitty; mayornaze et al

How Jilly Cooper changed my life, number 364
I joined a very trendy company and felt completely out of my depth. A couple of weeks after I joined some of the arty/Eng Lit types were doing a crossword and couldn't get the name of a poet from a couple of lines of poetry. I recognized it immediately and piped up with "it's Housman, the poem is 'A Shropshire Lad'". What I didn't say was that it was a line by Patrick in Rivals. Ice broken, and I realized that it's not how you know something, it's what you know that counts.

I've re-started the series and feel desolate that I'm already up to The Man Who. All of the best ones are gone.

DC1 is due on Thursday. If it is a boy, I would love to call him Lysander, but DH says no. sad

I've pre-ordered my copy. Can't wait for the 16th. I will need to be surgically detached from it. grin

PaulineCampbellJones Tue 31-Aug-10 19:23:58

Am going on hols next week and gutted that I won't have it in time. Still, it will be all shiny waiting for me when I get home!

traceybath Tue 31-Aug-10 19:27:42

My copy is also pre-ordered - the children will be watching a lot of cbeebies on the 16th.

I always feel i need to be drinking lots of champagne and on a crazy diet and wearing cashmere when I read Jilly.

PaulineCampbellJones Tue 31-Aug-10 19:33:44

onefishtwofish Lysander is a gorgeous name. Get him to agree when you are in the throes of labour!

JuneBugJr Mon 06-Sep-10 23:10:50

10 more days til a jillyathon. Am nearly sick with excitement. Am more impatient about this, than about my current 2ww.
Day off work-check
childcare arranged- check
still debating about posh wine early in the day to celebrate a new jilly- check.

Is everyone pre ordering?

Alouiseg Wed 15-Sep-10 11:21:20

Amazon have dispatched my book. This time tomorrow I will be ignoring mumsnet, shunning Twitter and blanking facebook.

The children will arrive home from school to find me tucked up on the sofa in front of a roaring fire having done zero in the way of domestic duties.

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 15-Sep-10 11:22:40

Oh hip hurrah. is it out tomorrow? i have a whole week off in which to enjoy it.

traceybath Wed 15-Sep-10 19:07:08

I am off to waterstones after drop off to buy it as amazon weren't going to deliver until the 20th!

JillyCoopersJoyousOtter Thu 16-Sep-10 08:17:55

Can I just give a heads up. If you have an iPhone, download the kindle application, and you can then buy the book cheaper from the kindle store. It does not require going out to the shops either to cut into precious jilly time. <<settles down to new jilly with cup of tea and biscuits>>

TrickyWoo Thu 16-Sep-10 10:33:40

You can get a free sample on kindle... Just read 10 chapters (jilly chapters v short) now off to sainsbo's to buy book!

MrsDrOwenHunt Thu 16-Sep-10 12:19:23

its sitting on my fridge!! i am too excited to open it!!!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 16-Sep-10 12:33:49

Did anyone read Caitlin Moran meets Jilly Cooper in the Times this Saturday?

I love both Caitlin and Jilly. Caitlin is apparently called plain old Catherine Moran, she changed her name to Caitlin as her nom de plume after Caitlin O'Hara!

Apparently Caitlin and Jilly got pissed on champagne and just sat there gossiping about the rich and famous. envy

traceybath Thu 16-Sep-10 13:13:07

I read it GOML.

Right am up to chapter 19 and loving it. Definitely a return to form.

Alouiseg Thu 16-Sep-10 13:19:45

Yes I read it, I was hoping for a bit more salacious detail about the characters. There was very little about the book at all.

I think my hopes were overly high after the Lady Gaga interview!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 16-Sep-10 14:24:31

Oh that LadyGaga interview was brilliant. How much would you love to go our with LadyG and Caitlin and get trollied. Love 'em.

Jilly Cooper only lives down the road from me, I keep dreaming that i will meet her in Waitrose in Stroud one day grin

MayorNaze Thu 16-Sep-10 14:34:37

am gutted no time to shop today...my waterstones points are at the ready...

Alouiseg Thu 16-Sep-10 16:34:44

My books arrived but I havnt had time to open it roll on bedtime!

MayorNaze Fri 17-Sep-10 14:08:20

hurrah hurrah half price in waterstones grin

and stil £2.50 worth of points leftover grin

traceybath Sat 18-Sep-10 17:51:36

Finished it this morning. Think will re-read straight away.

Enjoyed it a lot - definitely better than recent ones but still not Rivals which remains my favourite ever.

MistsAndMellow Mon 20-Sep-10 14:28:04

Thanks so much for alerting me to the new Jolly Super.

I'm a chapter or so in but I'm already snorting at the map / elevation where it says dreadful car port" by Etta's house.

I might change my name to DreadfulCarPort.

MaudOHara Mon 20-Sep-10 20:51:32

Traceybath I thought you were far too busy with sartorial stuff to manage to read a Jilly Cooper in two days

<<even more in awe>>

traceybath Mon 20-Sep-10 20:54:07

I stayed up way too late reading it!

Had planned to read in the daytime but DD was having none of it - she kept removing it from me grin

MrsDrOwenHunt Tue 21-Sep-10 08:36:02

have just finished it and now i am fed up!!!!

MayorNaze Tue 21-Sep-10 13:55:06

oh lol chris vacher gets a mention how marv grin

MaudOHara Tue 21-Sep-10 20:00:34

Jilly being interviewed on Simon Mayo tomorrow smile

RipMacWinkle Thu 23-Sep-10 18:49:35

Thank you Tracey!

DH just came in and told me the review in the Metro this morning was terrible. He's planning to buy it for my birthday soon and I'm itching to get my hands on it. He just asked if I still want it. Silly question but I thought I'd consult the MN oracles smile

Was nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations but it seems that it isn't as bad as he told me.

Phew... and breath.

MmeLindt Thu 23-Sep-10 18:53:20

Has anyone read it yet?

Might download it on Kindle.

PaulineCampbellJones Fri 24-Sep-10 21:05:28

Paul O'Grady saying how fantastic the book is on his show tonight. Can't wait for his new book either.

glitterkitty Fri 24-Sep-10 21:37:02

Oh, cant afford to buy the hardback. Will just have to WAIT for the paperback... or Christmas!

<...GK heaves 12st bulk off of chair in search of another packet of twiglets... broodingly stares out of the dark window at Orion leaping joyfully above the horizon like Jillys latest book. Across the valley Ruperts bedroom light was on. Suddenly he appeared, and whipped the blind down sharpish while flicking Vs and gurning... GK sighed and returned lethargically to mumsnet....>

tribpot Fri 24-Sep-10 21:40:01

Is there a review thread for people who have read it? I don't want to give away any spoilers.

glitterkitty Fri 24-Sep-10 22:00:51

Oh give us the spoilers. I'll reread it about 50 times anyway so I dont care.

PaulineCampbellJones Fri 24-Sep-10 22:03:41

I think there is going to be one yes. Mine is sitting just waiting to be read. glitterkitty there are some good deals around for it right now. I will sell mine second hand when have read it...

PaulineCampbellJones Fri 24-Sep-10 22:06:17

It's £8.50 in Tesco and in WHsmith

glitterkitty Fri 24-Sep-10 22:08:20

Ooooooooooo! Thanks! Will have to get it now- probably tommorow! Was imagining it being 20 squid or thereabouts grin

tribpot Fri 24-Sep-10 22:14:15

Okay, trying to disguise spoilers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dreadful. I mean not as bad as Wicked which has to represent a low in anyone's publishing career, but it merely trotted along with a cast of thousands and no personality.

But the death of Billy, dealt with so casually in a few pages, is actually hurtful. Mrs effing Wilkinson the horse got more attention - and who is going to tell Jilly that she's probably better off trying not to write Muslim characters even if it was slightly less offensive this time than before?!

Drew as well - and Eddie barely there. I'm sorry but she's lost the plot, I would much rather she didn't dilute the legacy further by making stuff up.

HeftyNorks Fri 24-Sep-10 22:33:48

Yep - am going to wait for it to hit the charity shops. Note that I am not saying I won't read it grin rather that havinf shelled out for the last one and been hugely disappointed I am not going to fall into the same trap again.

Rivals was deffo the best and also The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous. IMHO she hasn't written anything halfway decent since.

BalloonSlayer Mon 27-Sep-10 10:54:56

Oh no! Billy dies! Oh!

I am half way through and quite enjoying it. Although agree with the cast of thousands making it less enjoyable.

Also agree with the Muslim character bit . . . eg doesn't seem to object to alcohol despite being a fundamentalist. (AFAIK a strict Muslim would not want to kiss a drunk woman for fear of getting alcohol on his own lips)

Nice to have an older heroine though. But am a bit sick of the all-too-wise-and-knowing teens.

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 27-Sep-10 19:49:08

I'm confused by how old people are. the timeline appears to be blured. and yes - too many characters, none with any depth at all. and not enough Rupert.

MmeLindt Tue 28-Sep-10 11:59:10

Ok, downloaded and read.

I did not think it was that great tbh. There were FAR too many characters. I was reading on the Kindle and it was so annoying as I could not flick back and check the list of characters at the beginning of the book.

Found that Dora/Trixie were a bit samey with Perdita/Tabitha etc.

Was a very put off by the 4some storyline that IMO was child abuse, since the victim was not even 16yo and was not a willing participant. It was chucked in without much thought.

Not enough of the old characters, when they turned up it was just a quick mention.

Not convinced by the Muslim storyline. Rafiq seemed to undergo a very quick turnaround.

It was all very similar to previous books.

BalloonSlayer Fri 01-Oct-10 16:04:07

Nearly finished but getting a bit fed up.

Am sick of the horrible comments about the fat character.

Am distressed about the horses' sex scene. I mean, really, did she have to? Some of us read while we're eating our tea, sorry, kitchen-sups, you know.

Am still wondering if it is true that the only colour of towels you can buy in Gloucestershire is Dark Blue.

< wraps dark blue towel around her waist and opens bottle of Moet. Or was it Krug. >

GetOrfMeLenin Fri 01-Oct-10 16:14:11

Oh fuck Billy dies

I bought this (a SIGNED copy no less) the other day, have read the first chapter. Tbh it didn't grab me, notrmally her first chapters set the scene really well. Just a very scratchily written set of characters.

Hmm. Will see. Was hoping desperately it was a return to form, like Pandora was after Score.

GetOrfMeLenin Fri 01-Oct-10 16:15:29

I live in Gloucestershire, Balloon. My towels are sandy coloured. And I got them from Dunelm Mill <destroys Balloon's dream of Cotswold Life>

boudoiricca Fri 01-Oct-10 16:23:24

Billy DIES?? sad

I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread yet...

ENFH Wed 06-Oct-10 10:25:51

Did,nt really get into this , quite enjoyed Wicked once Id read it for the second time. Confused yesterday when I picked up a newer copy of Rivals and thought I would re read it to find that in the newer print 1992 Tony Baddingham has suddenly changed his name to Tony Bullingham ! Have I missed something ?
Personally my all time favourite has to be Score

cilldara Sun 10-Oct-10 00:55:23

I am about 100 pages in and struggling. Far too many characters and the constant punning is wearing me down now. Don't know if I have the energy to persist really.

HarderToKidnap Mon 25-Oct-10 21:57:55

I was so disappointed with it. Every page it just a list of the characters present in the scene, followed by their nickname, everyone makes a pun and then next scene. Also one of the child characters is raped and it barely gets a mention (along with her Dad being so proud that a forty something man desired his 15 year old daughter - WEIRD). Load of tosh.

RipMacWinkle Thu 28-Oct-10 17:55:41

Oh no! Am so depressed to read this.

I was v excited to get the new book as a birthday present and have been itching to get into it. However, same as childara I'm a few chapters in and just not getting into it at all.

The characters are just annoying me so much.

Gutted isn't the word.

traceybath Thu 28-Oct-10 18:08:30

Do you know I've just re-read Riders and its actually so sad how brilliant it is in comparison with her recent stuff.

I think the characters are generally nicer and more realistic and there's far less of the silly puns/nicknames.

I did feel very tearful reading all the Billy stuff as I actually cried in Jump when he died. He was one of her nicest male characters ever.

Am going to read Rivals again next. I so wanted Jump to be wonderful and I feel weirdly disloyal to the lovely Jilly in not loving it.

Sadly I think she should actually just stop now - it all seems a bit lazy and she does suffer from appalling editing.

scoutliam Mon 15-Nov-10 19:55:50

One of the worst books I've ever read. I mean truly shockingly awful.

The scene with the child in a foursome is just a rape scene.
How the fuck did her publishers let her away with this manky drivel?

gymboywalton Sun 30-Dec-12 18:14:46

sorry to bump an old thread but have just finished this and it is APPALLING

truly truly awful

a teenager gets RAPED and it's passed off as her 'being taken to bed' by older men

i can't express just how bad this book is!

tribpot Sun 30-Dec-12 18:21:18

I Googled to see what La Cooper is up to (and hoping it does not involve another book). Rather staggeringly she's been taking a pop at Pippa Middleton's book.

tribpot Sun 30-Dec-12 18:24:18
atthewelles Fri 04-Jan-13 16:41:24

I went off Jilly Cooper several books ago. She really is an awful and very unsubtle snob and I read in a review of one of her recent books that the teenage characters still talk like young upper class kids from the fifties and sixties. She does seem to be quite dated in her views and writing style.

Maud2011 Sat 05-Jan-13 14:44:55

I loved Rivals, which I read when it was first published and Tony Baddingham was still Tony Bullingham. I seem to remember there was a real Tony Bullingham in the news threatening legal action, hence the name change. Can't have done much for all the bullsh*t jokes in the book.

Wicked is simply the worst book I've ever read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now