Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Chalet school Books

(61 Posts)
deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 21:33:32

Just been browsing Amazon (like you do) and seeing these took me back 40 years. I loved the series so much - I seem to remember there were dozens of them and I owned every one. Why didn't I keep them? I must get some for dd (and me!)

cleanandclothed Thu 22-Oct-09 21:39:27

There is a JoeyBettany on here I noticed the other day - perhaps she will come over for a chat! I love them too - were you looking at the reissued GGBP books or do HarperCollins still do a few?

I loved these books too, tho can't remember very much about them at the moment.

I loved books about boarding schools and would read any I could get my hands on.

DD is only 4, but I do wonder if she will like these when she is older.

differentWitch Thu 22-Oct-09 21:40:00

<sneaks in>

I have quiet a lot of them in a cupboard- my friends don'tunderstand why I like them and kept hold of them.

CMOTdibbler Thu 22-Oct-09 21:41:16

You'd really wish you had held onto them if you look at how much the books sell for now. My mum collects them, and some of the rarer ones go for amazing prices

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 21:41:36

differentwitch- can I come over? smile

snickersnack Thu 22-Oct-09 21:41:46

I have all my old Chalet School books in a box at my parents. Am slowly repatriating them and re-reading them.

The stories and characters are great - I can see why I loved them so much. But they are written in quite an irritating style, when I read them now...

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:09

How many were there?

seeker Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:29

I tried them on my dd and she disn't get them at all - to my eternal chagrin! She loves Antonia Forest though, so I decided not to disown her.

differentWitch Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:56

I have a few Angela Brazil and I have 3 Josephine ELder books as well.

I'm gonna check the boxes in the loft at my mum's house. I hope they are still there [whistful]

I also loved sue barton books
Sue Barton - District Nurse
etc

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 21:44:47

Well what a nostalgic thread! Angela Brazil and Sue Barton- I loved Sue Barton.

cleanandclothed Thu 22-Oct-09 21:45:29

Things that make you realise EBD knew nothing about small children.....

No. 1 - in Chalet School goes to it/at War, when after crossing the channel and getting really sick Joey is forced to 'stop feeding the triplets herself - besides they look so sweet with cups and spoons'. Breastfeeding triplets? She wouldn't have been swanning all over the place like she has been doing for the past few months then!!

Anyone else?

snickersnack Thu 22-Oct-09 21:47:06

No 2. The way all the children have been trained to "instant obedience". Or maybe that's me failing as a parent...

fishie Thu 22-Oct-09 21:47:07

it is a dread fascination. the chalet school is horrible and all the characters are hateful. but ebd is a very compelling writer.

deaddei - Lovely to hear of another Sue Barton fan

I'm gonna look for those in the loft too, bet they are desperately old fashioned

Some of them cost a fortune now - I have 38 at last count, but most of the rest are completely out of my price range. Even the GGBP titles go out of print really fast, as they do quite limited print runs. On the other hand, you can pick up job lots of the more common titles very cheaply on Ebay.

Elk Thu 22-Oct-09 22:00:24

If you like the chalet school books then you should have a look at www.the-cbb.co.uk for lots of discussions of the books and lots of fanfic. It is probably best not to look if you are a Joey or Mary-Lou fan.

Seeker, my DD is exactly the same. Loves Antonia Forest (and Angela Brazil and Malory Towers) won't touch the Chalet School,

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 22:04:53

Ooh Antonia Forest- doesn't ring a bell?

Autumn Term - best school story ever written according to my DD and me. Also End of Term.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 22-Oct-09 22:09:25

I loved Antonia Forest - her stories were about the Marlow sisters, hawking as well I seem to think.

deaddei Thu 22-Oct-09 22:10:49

Well I can feel an Amazon order coming on tomorrow. What a nice way to start halfterm!!!

piscesmoon Thu 22-Oct-09 22:11:09

I haven't even seen one since I was a DC. I loved them and even belonged to the club-I can't remember what it was called, but you got a news letter. It would be interesting to see what I think of them as an adult.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 22-Oct-09 22:13:23

Lady GP - Cricket Term too!!!

Also had Peter's Room plus some others - still got them somewhere. DD 12 read Malory Towers obsessively for a while but not nearly as good as Antonia Forest methinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now