How many books do you own that you haven't read (yet)?

(60 Posts)
mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 20:01:11

I've decided not to buy any books for a year and am currently going through
my bookshelves to see which books I still haven't read.

I'm not even halfway through and have already found enough for a year of reading. Please tell me I'm not alone in this...

mistyegg Sat 23-Aug-14 20:08:17

I have 4 pages of unread books on my Kindle as well as about 10-15 paperbacks - they are all ones I want to read but just haven't got round to yet...

I keep getting hooked into either MN threads of books I'd like to read as well or just browsing on Amazon and getting moreblush

InternetFOREVER Sat 23-Aug-14 20:10:01

Around 125, and still I buy more blush. I could get through them in a couple of years if I went on a total booking-buying ban!

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 23-Aug-14 20:11:15

50ish books and 140 on the kindle

MrsDavidBowie Sat 23-Aug-14 20:13:41

About 50 on Kindle and 20 real books

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 20:14:31

125 - I fear I have more than that. I'm currently at 45 but I'm not even halfway through my books.

And I don't even have a kindle - mistyegg do you buy more books on the kindle because it's so easy to do ? Or would you buy just as many paperbacks ?

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 20:17:58

FiveGoMadInDorset I think I have about 200 unread as well but physical books blush .

None!
shock

How can you physically have a book and not read it??
I could not bear that.

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 20:23:58

None ? shock

How is that possible ? grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 23-Aug-14 20:27:37

My kindle ones are all cheapy deals and ones that I would give to charity shops if I had read them. I keep looking at them all and need to read more MN less.

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 20:31:34

How can you physically have a book and not read it??

I read books all the time, that isn't the problem. The problem is book sales and friends giving me armful of books.

mistyegg Sat 23-Aug-14 20:46:49

It is very easy to buy for the Kindle - I often end up browsing and clicking on books I like either on my phone - even while on the Kindle itself.

I would definitely own more paperbacks if I didn't have the kindle - I tended to use local charity shops, Amazon and the book people for ones I liked before I got the Kindle.

I love reading but with two young DC's and a heavy workload as well as trying to make some time for DH, family and friends, I don't get to do anywhere near as much as I'd like to - I think by buying the books I'm still a little bit connected to reading even if it's slightly wishful thinking I'll read them anytime soon.

<gazes wistfully at books gathering dust on bookshelf>

HumblePieMonster Sat 23-Aug-14 20:51:20

Might be a hundred. I love to buy books. I'm looking forward to having time to read them... soon...perhaps....

combust22 Sat 23-Aug-14 20:58:00

I own 4000 books and haven't read one of them.

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 21:02:16

Yes I love buying books too, and also love having several good books right here waiting to be read. I just hadn't realised I had quite so many that I still want to read. Feel like a prepper smile

AnnOnymity Sat 23-Aug-14 21:03:07

At a very rough guess 2000.

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 21:04:37

4000! shock

You win! Do you own a bookshop ?

Of all the fiction books I own there is just one I haven't read. I bought it last month but I've had a pile of 15 books from the library to read.

I read whenever I can. Evenings, meal times, in the bath.... if DD would settle the hell down at night I'd get through books far faster than I do now.

whitewineandchocolate Sat 23-Aug-14 21:07:03

About 6 books and 30 or so on my kindle and I thought that was bad! Haven't bought many this year at all so I feel like I'm slightly catching up.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 23-Aug-14 21:36:04

Underestimated 112 books and 155 on kindleshock

mynameisred Sat 23-Aug-14 22:09:34

Ah you might have more than me smile. I guess I have around 250 unread. I found several books that I'd forgotten that I bought. It's quite nice actually, like having your own little bookshop at home.

Will never buy a kindle that would be fatal...

CheesyBadger Sat 23-Aug-14 22:14:46

I have around 50 I haven't read. I did the ban on book buying and managed to only buy 2 and got some hardbacks for birthday and Christmas. (They don't count!grin)

bigTillyMint Sat 23-Aug-14 22:16:24

Quite a few on my Kindle!

The downside of Kindling is that I no longer swap good books with friendssad

GlaceDragonflies Sat 23-Aug-14 22:20:50

About 500 on my kindle, all freebies.
Not many on my book shelves, I read the ones I wanted to and then gave them to a charity shop. The ones I have left are ones that are worth reading again when I retire

ShadowStar Sat 23-Aug-14 22:22:59

Far too many.

I can't start counting now. I'd be up all night.

I need to just avert my eyes whenever I walk past anywhere that sells books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now