Cormoran Strike and Robin - a moan!

(17 Posts)
fizzylime Fri 08-Aug-14 07:51:17

She's going to put them together isn't she?

And I really don't want them to get romantically involved!!

Is it not possible for a woman to be a strong, likeable lead in her own right than merely a love interest to the main character?

I will be so disappointed if in book three they get together.

fizzylime Fri 08-Aug-14 11:16:30

Bump! Surely I can't be the only one?!

They'll probably have a few shags, and Robin will cancel the wedding. But I don't think they'll end up properly together. I just hope Robin dumps that wet twat Matthew ASAP. Still don't know if I'll bother with the third one though - hated the Worm.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 08-Aug-14 12:38:17

I can see the irritating matthew being dumped in book 3, but would prefer robin and strike not to get together.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 08-Aug-14 12:42:43

Agree * Remus *. Characters were all some loathsome, frankly didn't care who was responsible. Also would prefer fewer pages spent describing pain in strike's leg - just padding the story out.

fizzylime Fri 08-Aug-14 12:56:19

Ahh! Yes, I found it harder to get into this one, and it was a little confusing. I loved the first book though, so I hope the next one gets better.

I hope Matthew will be dumped too, he sounds like a right prat! grin

hackmum Fri 08-Aug-14 19:13:30

I'm shallow. I'm quite happy for Robin and Cormoran to get together, though as Rowling has a long series planned, I'm not sure how long she can spin out the will they/won't they element. Obviously Matthew is a twat and Cormoran's ex is, um, less than mentally stable, so you'd think they'd both realise that sooner than later.

DameEdnasBridesmaid Sat 09-Aug-14 22:15:16

Another shallow one here hackmum. I can't see it happening tbh, it would be too obvious hopes it does though.

Wonder what 'the reason' is why she left University, this keeps being mysteriously referred to. There's a lot more to come on Robin.

Agree that she needs to Get Rid of Matthew smile

BIWI Sat 09-Aug-14 22:18:37

What I really like about these books is that for Robin it's a real 'coming of age' story - the realisation that she has something to offer and that she doesn't have to marry the awful Matthew (I haven't finished book 2 yet so no idea what's coming - don't spoil it for me!)

She's found a job that she loves and has talents that she has been very modest about/hasn't told anyone about, e.g. the advanced driving.

It makes her a really strong character, ready to take Strike on, on her own terms

fizzylime Sun 10-Aug-14 02:00:20

How do you picture the pair of them? I imagine strike as the actor who plays Mr Bates from Downtown Abbey - even though his hair isn't "pube like"! I still can't imagine what Robin looks like.

BIWI Sun 10-Aug-14 12:42:42

I see, sort of, Jay Rayner - although a lot more athletic! For Robin, not quite sure - but tall and long, blonde hair and also quite an athletic build.

DameEdnasBridesmaid Sun 10-Aug-14 13:54:15

I see Colin Firth grin

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - not Colin Firth.

Jay Rayner -esque could work.

I see a young Robbie Coltrane.

RumAppleGinger Sun 10-Aug-14 21:01:15

Only read the first, not opened the second yet although it's on my kindle. I hope they don't get together although I can imagine an drunken awkward encounter possibly occurring.

You never know, rebus and siobhan never hooked up so it's not inevitable.

BIWI Mon 11-Aug-14 23:23:25

I've finished it now, and am feeling bereft sad I wonder if there's another book in the pipeline?

And I was wondering - do you think it's a book about a book? All the references to people in the publishing trade - do you think any of them are references to JKR's experiences?!

abigamarone Tue 12-Aug-14 01:19:38

I certainly got the impression there were some veiled references in there. Quite vivid portrayals.

Anyone know when the book is set? I recall a few 'news of the world' mentions.

DameEdnasBridesmaid Tue 12-Aug-14 08:03:20

Robin mentions Kate and Wiliam getting engaged and that was in November 2010.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now