Do you have a favourite book that you will read again and again?

(83 Posts)
stolemyusername Tue 05-Aug-14 03:13:22

I absolutely love reading but never read a book twice, a friend once said that rereading a book that she loved was like catching up with old friends but once I know what will happen I lose interest, the only exception I have to this rule is Jane Eyre, I absolutely love this book (although I did slightly ruin it for myself when I deconstructed it for an essay.)

Please tell me what book you will read again and again and why?

MrsWinnibago Tue 05-Aug-14 07:54:42

I have read plenty more than once but off the top of my head I return often to Poor Cow and Up the Junction by Nell Dunn. Both books are so full of minute social detail that they never fail to thrill me. Reading either is like going back in time to the 60s.

kiwiscantfly Tue 05-Aug-14 07:58:36

Mine is A Town like Alice by Neville Shute, I just love it! Such a classy romantic story!

MrsWinnibago Tue 05-Aug-14 08:06:04

Kiwi Ah that's one I've never read...is it set in Alice Springs then?

diddl Tue 05-Aug-14 10:00:13

Bridehead revisited.

And the Chronicles of barsetshire.

MsDonnaJane Tue 05-Aug-14 10:08:52

Mine is The Mists Of Avalon... King Arthur but told from a female perspective!! I love it grin

stolemyusername Tue 05-Aug-14 11:06:32

I'm going to give some of these a try, I feel like I'm getting into a bit of a rut with what I'm reading!

glossyhair Tue 05-Aug-14 11:10:15

I used to read books over and over when I was a child, but don't do it now. Time seems so precious now that I'd feel like I was missing out on discovering new books if I went back and reread stuff. Same with films, I can never watch the same one twice!

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Tue 05-Aug-14 11:11:58

Mine is Forever by Judy Blume. I love to reminisce and believe I'm still 17 full of angst. (When really I'm thirty something a and full if angst!)

Laska42 Tue 05-Aug-14 11:13:57

all of Jane Austen .. read them once every year.. and ive just read Middlemarch again, after reading it in my 20s... its still great..

headoverheels Tue 05-Aug-14 11:16:57

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

There are others too but those are the ones that leap to mind.

kiwiscantfly Tue 05-Aug-14 15:10:20

There are bits there, but it is mostly set in Malaysia, and Northern Territory Australia, it's been a while I need to dig it out again!

Shop Tue 05-Aug-14 15:12:56

The only 2 I reread are 1984 and The Godfather

whotheduckisalice Tue 05-Aug-14 16:28:54

The only book I have read more than once as an adult is Little Children by Tom Perotta. I have too long a list of unread books to do this often!

whotheduckisalice Tue 05-Aug-14 16:29:19

Hmm fancy reading that again now.

DramaAlpaca Tue 05-Aug-14 16:41:48

Katherine by Anya Seton.

I read it first as a teenager and I've read it a few times since.

Thurlow Tue 05-Aug-14 16:52:46

I reread all the time. Most books I like I have read at least twice, and my favourite books I have reread many times. I'm sure this means I'm missing out on a lot of wonderful books, but I do read a lot (the joys of commuting by train) so I've told myself it evens out...

IMO, you get so much out of rereading a book. Some books lend themselves really well to it, because your experience is so different when you know the ending. Like watching a film when you know the twist, you are looking out for clues. Plus I often think that sometimes I do speed read a little, and so it's nice to wallow in a book when I'm not rushing in any way to find out what has happened next.

Off the top of my head, my favourite books that I have reread 3/4+ times -
Gone With the Wind
Regeneration trilogy
Wuthering Heights
Pride & Prejudice
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (in fact, the first time I read this book I went straight back to the first page and started again blush)
Stephen King's Dark Tower series
The Good Soldier
The Handmaid's Tale
Birdsong
And ALL of the Sharpe's grin

Some of them I've reread because I want to delve into the story again (Good Soldier, Handmaid's Tale) and other's I reread because I just love them (JS&MN, GWtW) it's like watching a favourite film, it's all the enjoyment and the distraction of the familiarity. I always feel I get something out of them. If it is a good book - either good 'clever' or good 'enjoyable' I think it should easily stand up to rereading. I honestly think I had read some of those Sharpe books nearly a dozen times. They're just fun.

One thing I've found interesting, rereading some books over the years, is how much my opinion of the books and the characters has changed with my own age and experience. Wuthering Heights, for example. I've always liked it, but the book gets darker and darker every time I read it. That such a young woman could write such a twisted story... But I know it's my life experiences, and my understanding of people, which makes me see more in the story each time I read it.

Lots. Usually I re-read for comfort, so choose books that are feel-good, or series of books with characters who I really like.

So:

Ballet Shoes
Little Women and the rest of the series
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a day
A particular Enind Blyton one, which I used to adore as a child Here
Austen's novels (these are all read at least once a year)
The Harry Potters
King's Dark Tower
The Lord of the Rings trilogy

For non-fiction, I mainly re-read Bill Bryson's books.

Thurlow - just seen that you mentioned the King too. I still haven't managed to read, 'Jonathon Strange' - should I try it again? I did exactly as you described with the last Dark Tower one and the last Potter one! grin

Thurlow Tue 05-Aug-14 17:01:26

Of course you should read it, I am ace and if I like it then it means it's a good book grin

Seriously, though - I think it might be my all-time favourite. It does start a bit slowly though, and it is unusual because nothing much happens for 2/3rd of the book. Though it doesn't happen in a deliberate way - it is a book more about people and place and setting, rather than a fast plot.

Glad to x-post with someone else who rereads for comfort though. I'm actually rereading P&P at the moment. It's so much fun, turning to a new chapter and realising "ooh, this is the one where he proposes! yay!£

LeBearPolar Tue 05-Aug-14 17:01:35

My ultimate comfort reading is Georgette Heyer, especially The Grand Sophy I can read them over and over again.

I'll give it another go.

LOVE Austen so much. I taught P&P for the first time recently and had such fun!

Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

crunchyfrog Tue 05-Aug-14 17:20:19

Loads! LOTR, Hitchhikers Guide, the Foundation series, Jonathan Strange, most of Neil Gaiman"s, the Terry Pratchetts...

I read a lot, so don't feel that I miss out.

widdle Tue 05-Aug-14 18:02:42

My go to comfort read is PG Wodehouse

When I was little it was Roald Dahl and My Family and Other Animals - awwww I'm all nostalgic now. Do you think it would be a mistake to reread these now? So many childhood memories <mists up>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now