To ask you what you are reading?

(205 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

notnearlythereyet Sun 27-Jul-14 22:01:15

Just that really.

I fell in love in Zadie Smith's prose, just finished 'On beauty'. In the middle of 'Anna Karenina' now and eyeing up 'A hundred years of solitude' in my handbag.

Interested in books that you would recommend, as this summery weather makes me want to curl up in a hammock and read, read, read..(don't have a hammock just yet so a beanbag has to do for now).

springblossompetals Sun 27-Jul-14 22:13:19

I am reading "The Beach Hut" and one of the game of thrones books... Series seems to go on forever so should keep me busy for a while!

springblossompetals Sun 27-Jul-14 22:13:39

I am reading "The Beach Hut" and one of the game of thrones books... Series seems to go on forever so should keep me busy for a while!

WitchWay Sun 27-Jul-14 22:14:57

I'm ploughing through all my old Jilly Cooper Riders et al series before I get rid of them - I've grown beyond them rather & am finding them pretty pathetic really but am determined to read them all again first

TheMaw Sun 27-Jul-14 22:17:17

Oooh, I love threads like this! I've just finished The Luminaries (not worth it), I'm currently reading We Need New Names which is so-so, and then I'm starting The Marriage of Chani Kaufman. So many brilliant books around just now, just never enough time!

Weathergames Sun 27-Jul-14 22:17:34

Just read "The Fault in Our Stars" smile

BarbaraManatee Sun 27-Jul-14 22:18:31

A friend recommended a new book to me the other day - "The Art of Letting Go" by Chloe Banks. I've got it on my kindle & aside from the over-description in the first couple of chapters I'm enjoying it so far. I thought it was going to be a standard holiday trashy romance initially but it's not... Shan't say anymore...! wink

MizK Sun 27-Jul-14 22:19:09

Love, Nina....well I read it all in one go on Friday whilst lying in the sun. That was a pretty perfect day. Brilliant read.

wigglesrock Sun 27-Jul-14 22:19:10

I've also just read The Fault in our Stars which I enjoyed, the Circle which was brilliant and the Goldfinch which was not so enjoyable.

Lala5 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:19:19

Life after life by Kate Atkinson - unique but can be difficult to feel empathy for heroine

Mintyy Sun 27-Jul-14 22:20:07

Yanbu to ask. Of course not! Ask away. No one will find that unreasonable.

Lottapianos Sun 27-Jul-14 22:21:27

Filth by Irvine Welsh. Seriously grim and not a relaxing read but I absolutely loved the film so I'm enjoying comparing the book with what the film was like. I highly recommend both if you have a strong stomach and are not easily upset

MrsBungle Sun 27-Jul-14 22:22:59

I'm currently reading the goldfinch by Donna tarrt. Liking it so far, only about 40%through it.

gamescompendium Sun 27-Jul-14 22:23:02

I'm reading Herodotus' Histories which is wonderfully gossipy and Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter which is fab. Next up will be His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

One Hundred Years of Solitude is fab, but very South American. I didn't understand it when i first tried to read it at 20, loved it when I (newly married to a South American) read it at 30.

Halsall Sun 27-Jul-14 22:23:06

I'm reading 'Almost English' by Charlotte Mendelsohn. I like her books and really wanted to get this one, but it's slightly disappointing me. Not as funny as I'd hoped.

Just finished Donna Leon's latest Brunetti novel, which was great (lots of lovely food descriptions!).

Oh, and I must start 'A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing' by Eimear McBride, for our book group. Not really looking forward to it, I'm afraid.

loveableshoulder Sun 27-Jul-14 22:24:38

Lala I've just finished it too. Found the first 75 pages hard going but really enjoyed it in the end. Quite compelling prose. Kate Atkinson is one of my favourites.

about to begin another jack reacher.

TheMaw Sun 27-Jul-14 22:24:49

Just came back on to say Goldfinch by Donna Tartt but I've been beaten to it. I absolutely loved it!

Teddybeau1988 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:25:27

Just finished rereading Mockingjay. I read the hunger games and catching fire before that.

I am starting Gone Girl tonight. trying hard to stay away from DDs harry potter bookset

MommySlimFigure Sun 27-Jul-14 22:26:46

also reading the goldfinch. i finished The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue yesterday and it was really good.

sweetnessandlite Sun 27-Jul-14 22:27:43

I've finished reading The Fault in Our Stars, which is good.
But, if you want another tearjerker, read

Before I Die by Jenny Downham.

I read that about a year ago and it still haunts me.

ObfusKate Sun 27-Jul-14 22:28:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WookieCookiee Sun 27-Jul-14 22:28:20

I love nights at the circus one of my desert island books

Filth was worth reading but not pleasant - I never read it again and not watch the film.

I am reading Rubicon.

MizK Sun 27-Jul-14 22:28:34

Ooh Gone Girl was another I read in one sitting, really good stuff (a lot better than I expected).

Listening to Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn when I work out, extremely gripping but nasty. Giving me the horrors but has me needing to know what happens next.

BobFossilsTalkBox Sun 27-Jul-14 22:28:39

I'm reading Timur Vermes' ',Er ist wieder da' (He's Back is the English version) where Hitler wakes up/is alive in C21st Germany. It's very tongue-in-cheek and quite amusing.

bionic77 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:30:22

Another just finished the Goldfinch - and loved it so I re-read Donna Tartts Secret History which I never tire of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now