The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey

(12 Posts)
SarahAndFuck Thu 26-Jun-14 18:27:39

Anyone else read it?

I found it to be a bit hard going at first but finished it very quickly once I got into the swing of it.

I really liked it, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

mum2jakie Thu 26-Jun-14 21:27:21

I loved it. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I'd realised the actual theme but really enjoyed it. Tempted to re-read it already actually! Reminded me of Never Let Me Go at the start.

SarahAndFuck Fri 27-Jun-14 15:11:06

I read the back cover and was expecting something…I don't know. I don't know what I thought was going on, but it wasn't what happened.

What did you think of the ending?

And did you read the questions in the back? One of them asked something along the lines of if you thought all the characters got the fate they deserved.

I can't make my mind up on that. I keep thinking about different things in relation to them and changing my mind.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 27-Jun-14 15:21:29

I enjoyed the first half.

Aridane Tue 28-Oct-14 14:32:52

I picked it up last weekend on a flight home not knowing what it was aoubt - found the first few chapters /part of the book haunting - the remainder less so as a more traditional post zombie apocalypse.

Ending caught me by surprise.

I listened to it on Audible. I got a lot of housework done that week!
I thought the ending was a bit weak but enjoyed it otherwise.

AmeliaPeabody Tue 28-Oct-14 14:36:36

I've just started it!

titchy Tue 28-Oct-14 14:43:58

Ooh I like it - think it would make a great film actually - maybe Sigourney Weaver as nasty scientist?

Aridane Tue 28-Oct-14 20:01:00

Titchy - in the edition I had, the author said he was also writing the film script

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Wed 05-Nov-14 21:48:51

Have just finished reading this...

<mild spoilers>

I had read the short story it originated from before, but obv the novel's rather different.

I was about 2/3 of the way through and suddenly realised, there's no way this can have a happy ending sad <wobbly lip> but it kind of did. At least, I was happy with it!

When I dropped DD off at school this morning, she just lit up when she saw her (pretty, 20-something) teacher and it so reminded me of Melanie and Miss Justineau that I was momentarily all choked up. Sniff.

yesbutnobut Sat 08-Nov-14 12:50:58

I enjoyed it though I wouldn't have chosen it had I known it was a zombie novel! I wonder why the publisher/Waterstones etc chose not to disclose it was this type of book? Maybe to get people like me to buy it! My teenage DD is now reading it - I feel it's that sort of level.

abigamarone Mon 10-Nov-14 21:38:40

Finished this yesterday, one of those books that when I wasn't reading it (due to such as having to work) I was counting the minutes till I could settle down and read some more, absolutely loved it.

It reminded me somewhat of The Passage, with shades of SwanSong and I am Legend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now