Crime fiction recommendations please

(40 Posts)

I want a gripping, unputdownable crime thriller. Eg, girl with dragon tattoo before we realised it was actually a bit rubbish. I love Elmore Leonard, especially for the dialogue and Barbara vine for the suspense.

Oops, posted too quickly. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 07:14:40

JA Kerley
Peter James
John Stanford
Julianne Hoffman
Richard Montanari
Dennis Lahane
Chelsea Cain

All do series and all a very good. I think some JA Kerley are cheap on the kindle, atm

DuchessofMalfi Thu 26-Jun-14 07:44:57

I liked The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling), and am looking forward to reading the second one The Silkworm.

Have recently read The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill, the first in her Simon Serrailler series. It was very good, although I did guess the killer about 3/4 of the way through. Lots of twists and turns and a surprise ending that I didn't see coming.

Thanks both, coco, I haven't read any of those authors. blush I am out of touch.
I have read the jkr one, found parts hard going (eg boring) enjoyed others. I HATE her use of vernacular though.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 08:46:38

There were lots of suggestins on a thread before I'll try to link to it.

CQ Thu 26-Jun-14 08:48:47

Anything by Minette Walters.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 08:50:36
Stokey Thu 26-Jun-14 11:19:54

Ann Cleeves - Shetland Quartet and also the Vera ones
Stephen Booth - lots set in the Peak District
Louise Penny - Canadian sleepy village with high murder rate

Have you read Sophie Hannah - I think she is quite like Barbara Vine

igivein Thu 26-Jun-14 11:33:37

I second Ann Cleeves

igivein Thu 26-Jun-14 11:35:14

Sorry, posted too soon, A.D Garret also worth a look

iseenodust Thu 26-Jun-14 11:50:36

Snow falling on cedars
Critical Mass - Sara Paretsky

You see, minette Walters is exactly what I feel like reading.
Has anyone read Stuart macbride? My mum raves about him.
Will look into all other recs. many thanks.

Ps, 'cheap on kindle' instantly makes books much more appealing.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jun-14 22:25:49

Stuart Mcbrides good , can be a bit graphic.

ameliarose2012 Thu 26-Jun-14 22:42:40

I second Sophie Hannah, but start at the beginning. The earlier ones are much better than the last 2. I also like the Peter Robinson Inspector Banks series. Though that's partly because it's set in the Yorkshire Dales, which is almost where I live, so I recognise a lot of the locations

Just downloaded the hundredth man - reads a bit like Miami vice!

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 27-Jun-14 06:33:34

If you like Scandinavian things, then the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo, the Wallander books (forget who wrote them), and the Martin Beck books by Wahloo and Sojwall are all great in my opinion.
I also love PD James, Ruth Rendell, and, as someone recommended earlier, the Inspector Banks books are brilliant, and lovely to read because of the setting.

I've read one of the Harry Holes, but I found it dragged quite a bit. And for some reason I can't pinpoint, I've never enjoyed Ruth rendell. Love scandy wallander on TV, and fairly sure I've read a couple of those, too.

SaltyandSweet Fri 27-Jun-14 09:40:28

JD Robb's "In Death" series, there are 30+ books, and I'm on book 22 and seriously hooked! Think the first in the series is "Naked In Death"

DoctorTwo Fri 27-Jun-14 09:43:41

The Charlie Parker novels by John Connolly.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 28-Jun-14 19:17:08

Ian Rankin's Rebus series.

I second Ruth Rendell, Susan Hill, and PD James.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 28-Jun-14 19:18:31

Patricia Cornwall's earlier books in her Kay Scarpetta series are really good; the later ones not so much.

Yep, scarpetta went downhill, didn't she.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 29-Jun-14 10:15:48

Yes, the Scarpetta novels are just dreadful now, in my opinion. Just endless dialogue and nothing really happening. And the characters have all become smug, introspective and entirely unsympathetic.
Yet I still read them, so more fool me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now