Stephen King - what next for holiday reading?

(79 Posts)
PepeLePew Mon 23-Jun-14 22:42:57

I'm reading Under the Dome at the moment and loving it - it's everything I love about King. Real empathy, brilliantly drawn characters, people who act badly out of fear, shame, ignorance. The Stand is one of my favourite books ever and as a teenager I read Salem's Lot, Carrie, Thinner, Firestarter and a couple of others. But I hated Rose Madder (it was ok until she went into the other world and got lost in the maze) and Gerald's Game and I don't think I can stomach the more traditional horror stuff any more, so what next for my holiday?

I am bizarrely daunted by the idea of The Dark Tower series though I am told they are great. Are they worth trying? Or something totally different? What is the ratio of scary to awesome in IT? I'd give it a go if it was more than just a horror story (I think!).

PepeLePew Wed 02-Jul-14 22:32:51

This is so interesting and has really inspired me to try some
more SK (including the Dark Tower - I've just remembered I loved The Eye of the Dragon as a teenager. That's a "non standard" SK but feels as if there might be some links to DT). I was trying to explain what I love about the books of his that I have really loved to someone the other day - I think it is the way he paints the best and worst of human nature and makes you give a shit about the characters. He's not the most literary of authors but he can tell a cracking story and drag you in like no one else. And just occasionally he can break your heart when you least expect it - his most pathetic characters inspire contempt and sympathy and affection all in one go, and that's quite an achievement.

So, on the list (in order):
Duma Key
Dark Tower
IT
The Shining
The Stand (worth a re-read I think)

pointythings Wed 02-Jul-14 22:42:24

Enjoy, OP!
I was talking to DD1 (who is 13) about things she might like to read and that she might like some SK - I think she would get on with IT.

PepeLePew Sat 12-Jul-14 23:20:57

Reporting back from a lovely holiday which was slightly overshadowed by a nagging sense of terror as I made my way through Duma Key. Thank god I was in the far north of Sweden with endless daylight, and about as far from a Florida beach as you can get, or I'm not sure I'd have made it through. Fell in love with Edgar, Jack and Wireman - what great characters...

pointythings Thu 17-Jul-14 22:37:21

Oh I'm so glad! Duma Key is a book I read over and over again - it is going to Devon with me for another re-read, I love it that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now