Cormorant strike

(11 Posts)
Heels99 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:02:11

Just reading the 2nd one and enjoyed the first. Why does jkr put literary quotes at the start of each chapter, I find the pretentious and distracting, are they to show how well read she is?

Heels99 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:02:37

Predictive text changed it to cormorant.....

I'm reading it too and actually rather like the quotes. You can always ignore them, if they offend you! It hardly seems like a reason to get cross.

Heels99 Mon 23-Jun-14 20:30:07

Not cross at all, just asking of anyone knows the reason behind them!

ExcuseTypos Mon 23-Jun-14 20:33:09

I'm not sure of the reason behind them but I like them.

I imagine that they are intended to give a flavour of the themes/ideas of the chapter.

VanillaHoney Sun 29-Jun-14 23:05:30

Still reading the first one. Finally 65% through. Does it get any better?? Don't think I will read the 2nd one...

hackmum Mon 30-Jun-14 19:33:17

The quotes in the second book are all from revenge tragedies such as the Duchess of Malfi, and so relate to what's going on in the book. One of the characters, Michael Fancourt, is a novelist whose own books are based on the revenge tragedies, so that's another connection.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 30-Jun-14 21:47:28

Won't be reading the second one.

Was decidedly underwhelmed by the first, much preferred the Casual Vacancy.

VanillaHoney Wed 02-Jul-14 00:44:21

Really struggling to finish book 1, doubt I will ever pick up another JK Rowling, regardless of which name she uses except if she were to write another HP.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 02-Jul-14 01:06:54

I hated the casual vacancy but love the Comoran Strike books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now