50 Book Challenge 2014 Part 3

(1000 Posts)
Southeastdweller Sun 01-Jun-14 10:31:45

Thread 3 of the 50 book challenge. Here are the previous threads...

The idea is to read 50 books in 2014 (or more!)

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/1951735-50-Book-Challenge-2014

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/2000991-50-Book-Challenge-2014-Part-2?

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 20:05:15

Forgot to say before but thank you Mrs for your thoughts on that Kirsty Wark book. It looks really intriguing and I see the paperback is out soon.

I do like a full thread grin.

Sonnet Thu 28-Aug-14 19:36:34

Just logging on to say 2 more books finished:
Complicit - Nicci French
The Seige - Helen Dunmore

Going to catch up with this thread now - completely lost track of it and where I am over the past fortnight smile

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 18:12:30

Interesting. Thanks, biblio.

bibliomania Thu 28-Aug-14 17:20:02

Cote, from memory, when she goes beyond Egypt, it's nearly always the Gulf or North Africa (Tunisia and Algeria), with one reference to an education project in Israel.

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 16:01:03

Duchess You’ve got more self-control than myself – my book-buying ban will end in five weeks because I can’t wait for my library to get the Booker longlisted Us (David Nicholls). I should be able to read about 8-10 of my unread 50 list by then…hopefully hmm .

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 14:13:02

biblio - That book sounds interesting. Which countries does it cover?

bibliomania Thu 28-Aug-14 13:48:51

I know there's a new thread, but might as well fill this one up...

91) Sex and the Citadel, Shereen El Feki. Non-fiction. The author is half-Egyptian and half-Welsh. This is a report on people's intimate life in the Middle East, especially Egypt - attitudes to sex education, single parenthood, contraception, abortion, prostitution, homosexuality etc. It's very up-to-date, clear-sighted, and non-judgemental. It did feel a bit like it prioritised breadth over depth. Interesting read.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Aug-14 12:46:08

Oh southeast, even though I'm on a book buying ban, I still browsed the charity shops in town this morning - just can't help it grin, but fortunately didn't find anything I wanted to buy. The DC were with me, and we ended up going to the library and borrowing books for them instead.

Have so many wonderful books at home waiting for me to read, like The Goldfinch, and The Luminaries, I have to get over the "just one more" syndrome and stop reading book reviews. Have my eye on one or two from the Booker longlist for this year, but they will have to wait.

The Goldfinch is the first up once the DC are back at school, hopefully followed by The Luminaries. Listened to a fascinating Guardian podcast interview with Eleanor Catton recently so, with that in mind, it's spurring me on to read it. She explained a lot of her inspiration for the astrology in the novel. Will listen to it again to make sure I have that straight before reading.

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 12:32:57

New thread is here smile.

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 12:23:35

Oh, just wanted to say that I agree with Bssh about this thread renewing my love of reading.

And that another thread is coming very shortly wink

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 12:18:56

I'm also on a book-buying ban - 50 unread books lying around is ridiculous. Must keep out of charity shops this weekend.

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 12:15:09

On a go-slow for me reading-wise - just passed the half-way mark with Marriage Material having started it last Saturday. RL is getting in the way and I'm finding the main character a tiresome misery. I expect to finish it on Sunday so will start the new month and season on Monday with an autobiography as I haven't read one for a while...probably the first Alan Johnson book, This Boy.

I'm reading This One is Mine by Maria Semple. Am enjoying but it isn't as good as Bernadette which I loved

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 11:24:17

"Self-imposed book ban"? Why oh why? Can't you cut on less essential stuff, like food? wink

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 11:21:48

Well, I'm at 30% and so far it's all about the feelings of a child zombie and her teacher in an army base. Written in a 500-word children's vocabulary. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless it dramatically improves soon.

Why is YA sometimes not marked as YA? Nowhere in the Amazon blurb can I see that it was meant for teenagers angry Having said that, I should have noted the favourable reviews from Sun, Elle, Marie Claire, and Vogue and stayed far away.

tumbletumble Thu 28-Aug-14 11:21:09

I'm reading A Bright Moon For Fools. Will finish it soon and post my thoughts.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Aug-14 11:15:25

Swan Song looks good, but am on self-imposed book buying ban atm smile

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Aug-14 11:11:20

The Girl With All The Gifts not up to much then, Cote? I was thinking about reading it. Not going to buy it, but perhaps if I see it in the library. Don't want to waste money if it isn't that good.

Just finishing up last 100 pages of latest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich, No.21. Is ok, not taxing the brain too much. Next up Sacrilege by S J Parris or Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer.

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 10:38:49

Meanwhile, Swan Song is 1.29 on the Kindle today. I keep seeing it compared with The Stand.

CoteDAzur Thu 28-Aug-14 10:29:40

Is it because we are reaching the end of the thread that it is gone quiet here? smile

What is everyone reading?

I'm ploughing through the silliness that is The Girl With All The Gifts. It's my fault, as well. I saw it recommended on another thread and was looking for it's description on my phone when I managed to "Buy it with 1 Click" hmm

Any recommendations for after?

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Aug-14 07:49:33

Or perhaps Ciaran Hinds?

Maybe Paul McGann or Richard E Grant?

DuchessofMalfi Wed 27-Aug-14 12:01:18

You could be right there Bssh. I see Nightingale as a 1940's film star type - elegantly dressed, perfectly turned out, maybe a little less craggy than Capaldi though.

BsshBosh Wed 27-Aug-14 11:38:44

Provencal not Provincial sorry blush

BsshBosh Wed 27-Aug-14 11:36:25

That was me provincial. I don't even watch Dr Who but can't help seeing him as Nightingale whenever I read the Rivers of London books.

This thread is not accepting new messages.