Can you recommend a crime author?

(62 Posts)
RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 13:41:56

Dh's birthday is coming up and I'm wondering about getting him some books by some new authors he hasn't tried.

He only really reads crime and he's pretty much read everything by Harlan Coben, Lee Child, Jo Nesbo, Tess Gerritsen, Michael Connelly...

He doesn't like books that are set in the UK hmm.

Any ideas welcomed!

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Thu 29-May-14 13:52:23

Åsa Larsson has written a series of books set in northern Sweden.
There is also Henning Mankell who wrote the Wallender books. Some of his non Wallender books might be worth a look - I think there is one called The return of the dancing master.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Thu 29-May-14 14:04:10

Tana French is pretty good. Her novels are set in Ireland and while there is an order to them, they all read well independently. She tends to link characters between books, ie minor character in one becomes the major character in the next.

bartonian Thu 29-May-14 14:09:39

Patricia Cornwell - the earlier novels (latest ones not so good) and Karin Slaughter - both write from the Forensic Pathologist viewpoint but are completely gripping.

Shame he doesn't like crime novels set in the UK as Val McDermid is utterly amazing - the kind of books you stay up all night to finish.

tallulah Thu 29-May-14 14:10:56

Linwood Barclay

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Thu 29-May-14 14:11:15

Dennis lehaine. Wrote shutter island and gone baby gone.

Halsall Thu 29-May-14 14:16:10

Has he read all the other Scandi lot? I quite like these...

Anne Holt
Karin Fossum
Yrsa Sigurdadottir
Ake Edwardsson

Bigglesfliesundone Thu 29-May-14 14:34:26

Sophie Hannah
early books, also agree with Linwood Barclay

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 15:11:53

Oh thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't like crime, so I haven't read these so it's more difficult for me to remember what he has read. Karin Slaughter, Val McDermid and Dennis Lehaine, oh and Linwood Barclay are all sounding familiar, so I suspect he's read some of those. None of the other suggestions ring a bell though, so I'll check those out.

He's read all those 'girl with the thingy' books...if that what you mean by the other Scandinavia lot!!

Sorry, I'm more of an Anne Tyler kind of reader!

IndridCold Thu 29-May-14 15:41:28

There's a French writer called Pierre LeMaitre I keep hearing about, might be worth a look.

Mojito100 Thu 29-May-14 15:47:19

I know you said he doesn't like UK based books but I agree that val McDermid is exceptional and I love Peter James. Try one of these it's worth it. What about early crime he may have read, Sherlock Holmes classics but worth a revisit.

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Thu 29-May-14 15:48:39

I love James Patterson - especially the alex cross novels.

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 15:54:28

Oooh, this is fun!

www.literature-map.com/

He does tell me he's not keen in UK based books, but I'm certain he's read and enjoyed Val McDermid! (So maybe he's a bit flexible!)

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 15:56:09

There was a book he read a few years ago that read like fiction but was actually non fiction, or based on fact at least. I think it was about a coder...war time stuff. That's probably way too vague, but I think the author has written quite a few books. I can't remember what it was called but would know if I heard it!

Cocolepew Thu 29-May-14 16:05:56

John Sandford 'Prey' books theres, loads of them and are very excellent grin. Set in Minneapolis.

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 16:09:00

I was just looking at those Prey books because John Sandford came up on that map. Does order matter?

evertonmint Thu 29-May-14 16:24:40

Ian Rankin's Rebus books are fantastic and as they're set in Edinburgh, they might not be in the UK in a few months time... grin

Bithurt Thu 29-May-14 16:29:10

If he likes tess gerraitsen I'm pretty sure he'd like mo hayder. They are based in the uk but they're really good. They are in an order too.

Birdman was the first one in the jack caffery series.

MrsSlocombesPussy Thu 29-May-14 17:02:07

I like Richard Montanari, who has written a series of books set in Philadelphia.
I know you say he doesn't like Uk based books, but the Logan Macrae series set in Aberdeen are also good

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Thu 29-May-14 17:05:17

Joe R Lansdale (East Texas) and James Lee Burke (New Orleans) are two excellent US authors.

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 17:14:11

I feel quite disturbed just reading about these books, lol!

VeryStressedMum Thu 29-May-14 17:20:12

Shame he won't try uk based books, Mo Hayder is brilliant.
Karin Slaughter is very good. PJ Tracy is very good too.
I've read quite a few Richard Montinari which were good.

RoadRunner123 Thu 29-May-14 17:23:08

He's reading a James Patterson book at the moment I've just noticed. He's barely spoken to the rest of us for 48 hrs, so I'm guessing he likes that a lot.

VeryStressedMum Thu 29-May-14 17:23:13

And Linwood Barclay.

bruffin Thu 29-May-14 17:26:10

Jonathan Kellerman or Stephen White

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now