'HER' By Harriet Lane - the book of the summer IMO

(80 Posts)
EduardoBarcelona Mon 26-May-14 11:53:38

If you enjoyed 'Alys, always' - or even if you didn't ( that pleasure awaits you) I can heartily recommend HER.

Written by an early Mumsnetter ( don't think she is on any more) this is the kind of book that you HAVE to read in a day.

You can read much better precis of the plot than I ever could write here on amazon www.amazon.co.uk/Her-Harriet-Lane-ebook/dp/B00HRXQ15Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401100959&sr=8-1&keywords=her+harriet and I would recommend this to you as a PREORDER , especially if you love a dual narrative, in the style of Gone Girl.

This, however, is FAR superior writing, you will be itching to highlight bits on your kindle.
It speaks to all of us who have ever wrangled children in fact I was late to work after spending an hour in the bath trying to get to the end. (Bad hair day ensued)

I did chuckle afterwards that you can imagine the whole book as a long AIBU, from two people's viewpoints... just BRILLIANT.

EduardoBarcelona Wed 28-May-14 16:17:04

21 years this autumn. #gimmer

SarahAndFuck Wed 28-May-14 16:30:43

A Kind of Intimacy by Jenn Ashworth is very good. The creepiness builds up slowly but it's a bit more shocking all in all by the end. It's the same kind of inserting yourself into someone else's life though.

Was that a serious question then Nishky? I thought you were just having a laugh because of her enthusiasm for the book. I do this all the time with books when I love an author, go on about them and insist everybody has to read their books. I love it when someone else does the same thing.

Cantdothisagain Wed 28-May-14 17:08:12

If she was the agent she would have known the book wasn't out yet and timed her enthusiasm better!

I liked the Ashworth book too.

Have you read Wounding yet?

Nishky Wed 28-May-14 17:20:37

It was serious yes! It seemed too over the top not to be.....

Anyway, this book -is it light hearted chick lit or darker than that?

EduardoBarcelona Wed 28-May-14 17:28:31

Right. Will download ash worth

EduardoBarcelona Wed 28-May-14 17:29:19

Darker. Not a good story but shit writing like say gone girl of that ilk.

Now you'll hate it. I KNOW! grin

MyNewNormal Sun 08-Jun-14 22:57:52

Looking forward to reading this. Thanks OP.

TroyMcClure Thu 12-Jun-14 18:59:30

just checked back on this thread and then on amazon. it seems to be out!

Southeastdweller Thu 12-Jun-14 21:35:04

The raves on the jacket pulled me in so I reserved this from my library and should be ready to collect on Monday - very excited.

Looking forward to this. I liked AA. Have you read new Jonas Jonasson yet? I enjoyed

Cantdothisagain Thu 12-Jun-14 22:20:39

Reading this now... It's v good so far...

TroyMcClure Thu 12-Jun-14 22:54:06

Yes. I hated. Sadly. Didn't finish

Cantdothisagain Sat 14-Jun-14 07:45:06

Ok I would love to discuss this one but don't want to write a spoiler so will wait. I love the writing but am a bit unconvinced by Nina I think. Or at least by her actions. I enjoy her voice.

And I completely disagree with the amazon reviewer who says Emma and Nina both sound the same - they don't.

TroyMcClure Sat 14-Jun-14 07:45:30

Have you finished

Cantdothisagain Sat 14-Jun-14 16:00:05

Have finished it but hesitant to include spoilers for other people.

ThirteenHorses Sat 14-Jun-14 21:06:09

I downloaded it earlier today, and am a few chapters in.

It's nicely written so far, but a few things jar quite badly - if someone turned up on my doorstep to return my purse I can't really see myself inviting them in, but then I'm antisocial. I can see that someone else might.

But, if the purse-finder was invited in and then, unasked, started making her own tea and loading my dishwasher I would think they were quite unhinged.

So I'm struggling to get absorbed in the storty, because I keep going wtf?

Southeastdweller Tue 17-Jun-14 08:27:23

How're you getting on with it Thirteen?

Suzannewithaplan Tue 17-Jun-14 10:54:45

Just started reading it, enjoying it and finding it easy to get absorbed

ophiotaurus Tue 17-Jun-14 11:02:40

Thanks I'll give it a go. Been looking for something new.

Suzannewithaplan Tue 17-Jun-14 11:06:42

Thirteen, I agree with your point, but I didn't even question the validity of that scenario.
I guess that my enjoyment of the writing enabled me to suspend disbelief?

ThirteenHorses Tue 17-Jun-14 21:34:57

Finished it a couple of days ago.

It's worth a read, although I think the key character is very like the protagonist of Alys Always, and the key plot reveal was a bit 'meh'.

dirtyprettything Wed 18-Jun-14 10:10:00

Just finished it - she is a really great writer - I think I enjoyed that more than the actual plot.
Her descriptions of the tedium of being a mother and the responsibility of it all cut quite close.

I did find it very tense towards the end

U2TheEdge Wed 18-Jun-14 15:03:31

I was really disappointed.

Yes, it was written wonderfully but the storyline and ending was really disappointing.

I have read many books of this kind and this has to be the worst. Which is a shame as I liked her first book.

NickiFury Wed 18-Jun-14 15:59:50

I am unconvinced that any book could be as good as the fanfare of the OP suggests.

hackmum Fri 20-Jun-14 09:21:01

I've just read Alys, Always and Her, one after the other. Really enjoyed both of them. However, I do think that Nina in Her is awfully like Frances in Alys, Always, ie both seemingly normal women who are highly devious - though in Nina's case, worse than devious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now