Life affirming reads

(9 Posts)
HosepipeDan Wed 30-Apr-14 11:22:11

Hi, my friend is having a bit of a tough time professionally and is a bit low in general. What uplifting books do you turn to? Schmaltzy romances would best be avoided too I think? I want to really cheer her up.

ElectraOnAzaleaPath Wed 30-Apr-14 11:33:34

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.....And then the next seven in the series. They are exactly what you have asked for; intelligent, funny (and sometimes sad), life affirming novels that celebrate the diversity of humanity in all it's wonderful technicolour.

ElectraOnAzaleaPath Wed 30-Apr-14 11:38:27

PS- You are a lovely friend in thinking to buy your friend a book at a low time. When my son was very ill, friends all did wonderful things, like baking and cooking and even buying me a spa day. But my best and oldest friend posted from Australia her well-read copy of Love in a Cold Climate, figuring that what I really needed was to lose myself in something and to smile a little smile

skinmysunshine Wed 30-Apr-14 11:50:24

The One Hundred Year Old Man by Jonas Jonasson and Where'd you go Bernadette by Maria Semple I found very uplifting.

Not a novel but The Society of Timid Souls by Polly Morland.

Something really funny like Jasper Eyre or Jeeves & Wooster?

HopeClearwater Wed 30-Apr-14 15:05:04

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Lovely book.

HosepipeDan Wed 30-Apr-14 17:46:06

Thanks all. Electra funnily enough she's moved to Australia. I'm going to do a package up with all her fave sweets and bits from the uk. I'll definitely get Tales... And try not to reread it before I send it!

Louise1956 Thu 01-May-14 07:17:01

Our village by mary Russell Mitford. A charming portrayal of village life 200 years ago, with delightful descriptions of diverse village characters, their lives, occupations, incidents, etc. very happy book.

skolastica Fri 09-May-14 09:54:46

Nobody's Fool - Richard Russo

shouldbeelsewhere Sun 11-May-14 22:40:59

I recently loved The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Really feel good and a quick easy read too whcih helps when times are tough. But one of the main characters is terminally ill (this is a side plot really) so it might not be a great suggestion depending on why your friend is struggling right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now