What book can you buy someone who wants to write a book!

(10 Posts)
DeMaz Tue 29-Apr-14 13:33:37

My cousin is a fantastic writer. She's got blogs left, right and centre and is also in the middle of writing her own book!

She's read A LOT of books and I'm struggling to buy her one that's not romance or science fiction! Something that's gripping and very thought provoking. A book that's inspirational, possibly?
The last book she read was A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry which she highly recommends.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Thewhingingdefective Tue 29-Apr-14 17:01:06

How about some nice moleskin notebooks, pens and decent coffee or tea smile

TheWordFactory Tue 29-Apr-14 18:20:16

Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose is excellent, as is Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith.

They're books of essays on writing and books and life in general - excellent for writers and far more thoughtful than the usual creative writing manuals.

CoteDAzur Tue 29-Apr-14 21:25:58

On Writing - Stephen King

Cote beat me to it!

DeMaz Wed 30-Apr-14 21:17:58

This is brilliant. Thanks very much. Off to google them now.

RuinedAndNotorious Wed 30-Apr-14 21:27:19

Have a look at Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (think that's her name), it's about the process of writing. I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things.

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes - will give her a taste of life as an author!

DeMaz Fri 02-May-14 11:54:26

Thanks so much for your recommendations. Now it's deciding which one to get her.

scrittrice Wed 07-May-14 10:40:27

Wrede on Writing by Patricia C. Wrede just came out in December and she is quite good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now