Best books for father's day - Share your thoughts and enter a draw to win a bundle of books for the family.

(65 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Apr-14 17:50:26

Don't panic it isn't upon us yet (15th June incase you're wondering) but after the interest in our round up of best books for Mother's Day we thought it would be nice to do the same for dear ol' pops. What better gift than the inspiration of a great book? (What's more they can be bought up to the last minute on Amazon and are the easiest gifts ever to wrap up).

We're in touch with publishers to find out what's new out there but we need your help. Post up what you think are the best book gifts to buy for father's day and why you think they will be appreciated. We'll close the thread on 30 May and everyone who's posted will be entered into a draw to win a bundle of books for all the family. We'll have the Best books for father's day page up and running with all the suggestions in plenty of time for Dh's big day.

MakkaPakkasSponge Wed 07-May-14 13:06:21

My DH likes the Peter F Hamilton books, sci fi stuff always goes down well.

mum2jakie Wed 07-May-14 19:49:29

My husband tends to prefer (auto)biographies rather than fiction. Recent successes have been the Alex Ferguson and Simon Cowell biographies.

Jeremy Clarkson has written a fair few satirical books if your Dad is a fan!

missorinoco Wed 07-May-14 19:54:10

I bought the "My Dad" book from the children a few years ago. Slightly twee, but they like reading it with him, and he is too wise to tell me if he doesn't!

Dh is into non fiction. My suggestion for this year would be "Maggie and Me" by Damian Barr.About a boy growing up in Glasgow in the 80's and 90's. Beautifully written, funny and poignant.

Keith Richards' autobiography looks fun.

sassolino Thu 08-May-14 17:53:47

Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri (10 books at £9.99 from The Book People, a real bargain).
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

thegambler Thu 08-May-14 17:58:55

Karl Ove Knausaggard's "Death in the family","A man in love", "Boyhood Island"

Harry Pearson's "A far corner", especially if from the North and into football, giving a little bit of biog away there aren't I.

One of Stuart Maconies travelish books, "Pies and prejudice" etc. depending on which part of the country you are from.

John Le Carre's Smiley series if into spies etc.

The QI books

Terry Deary's "Dangerous days in the Roman empire" Horrible histories for adults.

"How I rid the world of Jeremy Clarkson" not in print yet but it should be!!

BreakingDad77 Thu 08-May-14 19:28:56

Patrick O'Brian's naval books (master and commander film based on one)
Factual, Generation kill and Black hawk down are good books.

Sci fi, ian banks, surface detail,

Fantasy classic Neil Gaimon, American Gods

Jack Reacher series.

Brian Moore's Autobiography, Beware of the Dog.

Racing in the Dark, David Millar's autobiography - DH raved about this. I want to find an equivalent for him as this year's Father's Day present so this thread is fantastic!

Oh Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe series.

Hornblower series by C S Forester.

Mr Nice by Howard Marks. Fantastic.

hunhun007 Fri 09-May-14 17:40:38

We would suggest "XXX for Dummies" series. There is 100s of titles to chose from and every Father will find something for himself - new hobby or new knowledge all written in simple way and easy to follow steps.
We love the series!

burwellmum Sat 10-May-14 16:26:09

I have just ordered How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France by Ned Boulting for my armchair cycling pundit DH.

sc00ter Mon 12-May-14 13:52:56

My husband loves to read biography's - He loves a success story. specially when the person has faced great odds and hardship to succeed.

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-May-14 12:31:22

This competition is now closed. Thanks to everyone for posting their great suggestions. Congratulations to badgerknowsbest who wins a bundle of books for the family. We will be in touch via pm in how to claim your prize.

Stay tuned for our Best books for Father's Day roundup coming soon - we will post a link to the page on this thread. Feel free to continue to post your book ideas here smile

goingdoolally Mon 09-Jun-14 21:45:42

Microadventures by Alastair Humphreys. This is the perfect book for Father's Day. Engagingly written with wonderful photography it will give all fathers who have forgotten the joys of adventure a kick up the backside to get out there with the children and rediscover the simple pleasures in reconnecting with and exploring the world around us.

What exactly is an adventure? Something that’s new and exhilarating. Something that launches you from your comfort zone into a different place altogether. An adventure changes you and how you see the world. And all an adventurer really needs is bags of enthusiasm and boundless curiosity.

Let Alastair Humphreys introduce you to the exciting world of microadventures – adventures that are close to home, cheap, simple, short, and yet very effective. A microadventure takes the spirit of a big adventure and squeezes it into a day or even a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now