Good book about good people

(26 Posts)
barleywood Tue 22-Apr-14 08:35:02

Currently reading 'Calebs Crossing' by Geraldine Brookes. Cross cultural Indians and early American settlers.

Dreading finishing it as I having nothing lined up.

Had my fill for the moment of crime, vampires and fantasy. Keeping away from family breakdowns, divorce etc and other issue led books I.e Jodie Picoult.

Looking for a good books about good people trying to live good lives in a complicated world ( I do realise that this could be a description of Picoult's books)
Any suggestions?

highlandcoo Tue 22-Apr-14 10:37:57

Try Run, State of Wonder and Bel Canto, all by Ann Patchett.

Also The Idea of Perfection by Kate Grenville, and Thin Air by Sue Gee.

There is a warmth and humanity about these authors' view of the world which might be what you are looking for in a book at the moment.

MadamBatShit Tue 22-Apr-14 10:48:24

Kent Haruf, he wrote a series about a fictional town in Colorado (?) Very good, human.
Justin Cronin's The Summer Guest is good, no vampires at all.

Ah, a bit of family drama though. Are there books without family breakup and drama? Not issue led as such though. Life.

Have you read, 'Little Women' and its sequels?

MadamBatShit Tue 22-Apr-14 16:22:31

Ruth Ozeki - a tale for the time being

Anna Quindlen - Still life with bread crumbs

drxerox Wed 23-Apr-14 07:06:59

Ann Tyler - St Maybe and Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

barleywood Wed 23-Apr-14 07:22:11

Thanks for the suggestions....

SweetPenelope Thu 01-May-14 18:57:58

I second Anne Tyler. Her books are great.

Louise1956 Fri 02-May-14 18:04:18

the No.1 ladies detective agency books by Alexander mcCall Smith are about good people.

FrancesHB Fri 02-May-14 20:02:49

I so agree with Kent Haruf. His books are amazing, and this is exactly what they are.

Takver Fri 02-May-14 22:28:06

Try Diana Athill's memoirs - fascinating reading, she lived a relatively unconventional life for her time and class, but I would say "good books about good people trying to live good lives in a complicated world" is an excellent description.

skolastica Fri 09-May-14 09:51:38

The Bishops Man - Linden MacIntyre (remote Nova Scotia, the priesthood and morals and ethics)
Brixton Beach - Roma tearne (immigrants from Sri Lanka)
The death of Mr LOve - Indra Sinha
Star of the Sea - Joseph o Connor
Elizabeth Jane Howard - any.
Saville - David Storey
Nobody's Fool - Richard Russo
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
he Bean trees - Barbara Kingsolver
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese
Property - Valerie Martin
The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay
Of Marriageable Age - Sharon Maas

Ragglefrock Sat 10-May-14 13:39:51

The Universe versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

notadoctor Tue 13-May-14 03:03:20

Definitely Anne Tyler. Also anything by Amy Tan.

The Grapes of Wrath
Adam Bede or Silas Marner

plus2new Wed 14-May-14 16:35:13

Delighted to see some Kent Haruf fans on this thread. I love his books, especially Plainsong and Eventide and never seem to meet anyone who has read them.

I highly recommend his books.

SarahAndFuck Wed 14-May-14 17:35:50

Another one agreeing with the Anne Tyler recommendations. Drxrox has chosen two of my favourites but I also love The Clock Winder and Morgan's Passing.

Also Carol Shields. I love Happenstance, The Republic of Love and Unless.

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg is that sort of book too, as are The Sugar Queen and Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.

OverAndAbove Sun 18-May-14 21:46:04

Ah, I'm delighted to see this thread. I'm always happy to read a book where good things happen to good people.

I totally agree with No 1Ladies Detective Agency. And the Cazalets. I like Joanne Harris's books as they always have good (and interesting people) in them

ExCinnamon Sun 18-May-14 21:49:10

Cutting for Stone.

Made my husband read it too. He reads about 1 non-fiction book per decade.

traviata Thu 22-May-14 21:38:54

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.

imaginative Fri 23-May-14 20:37:00

What about the Jane Austen novels? I love them.

somewherewest Mon 26-May-14 20:36:03

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. One of the reviews actually praises Robinson for managing to create a protagonist who is both good and interesting.

Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Very funny book about a nice guy doing his best.

CSLewis Mon 23-Jun-14 09:30:25

I second Marilynne Robinson and 'Gilead'. There's a sequel, called 'Home', which is also wonderful but a bit more family trauma/drama in the plot.

tobeabat Sun 06-Jul-14 11:05:15

Interested in different interpretations people have of these books... I really wouldn't put Cutting for Stone into the OP's 'good people' category - thought it was incredibly objectionable for various reasons including raging misogyny... It was a page-turner for me though!

I would recommend The Age of Miracles - somewhat in a minority among apocolyptic books in that it that it shows great humanity and why it is desirable that humanity should survive...

hackmum Sun 06-Jul-14 11:42:46

OP, have you read any of Geraldine Brooks's other books? I think she's a terrific writer. Year of Wonders is excellent.

Not sure it matches your request for books about good people living good lives, though. That's quite a tough call! I find Alison Lurie and Elinor Lipman hugely enjoyable if you like stuff that is lightly comic (and the characters are basically good). Ditto David Lodge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now