Mapp and Lucia (EF Benson)!

(9 Posts)

I've read all the Lucia books numerous times and so I was very tickled when I attended an official opening ceremony yesterday to find we had 2 mayoresses (the place is on the border between 2 boroughs) as guests! To make it even better, they were very different physical types and had different styles of dress that just fitted in perfectly with a modern idea of Lucia and Elizabeth. The only jarring note was that the more Mapp-like mayoress had a far more ornate chain, which is something I'm sure Lucia would never allow to happen.

Anyway, none of my colleagues had read the books, so I had no one to share my glee or offer further comparisons. So I decided to tell you lot, knowing that there will be people here who will understand :D

woodrunner Tue 25-Mar-14 17:22:05

Perfect! Wish I had been there. Did they make civil digs at each other all night?

Not that I noticed (not important enough to be hanging out with them) but 'Mapp' also had an 'apprentice mayor' which was a great way to get attention- maybe next time they meet 'Lucia' will have an apprentice too, or something even more original- designer robes perhaps?

Well I guess it's just you and me, cara! Too tarsome!

Icapturethecastle1 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:55:31

grin will have to read them again so much fun.

Maybe we could have an extremely exclusive club!

FairPhyllis Wed 26-Mar-14 18:20:37

Did they bid each other au reservoir?

Theas18 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:32:58

Bril!

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 26-Mar-14 18:34:47

love it

au res smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now