Big thank you re Cazalet Chronicles

(47 Posts)

I can't remember who it was who recommended the Cazelet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard (i think it was a favourite books thread but can't find it). AnywayI just wanted to say thank you! I have just started the second book and am very much enjoying it, and the thought of another 3 books after this one is delicious. The characters are very well drawn and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

KaFayOLay Tue 25-Mar-14 21:33:13

I bought these on the strength of hearing bits of it on Radio 4.
I too am thoroughly enjoying them , especially as they're not something I would normally go for.

Bunbaker Tue 25-Mar-14 21:39:58

They are great aren't they. I saw the TV series in 2001 and rushed out to buy the books.

I have to say that I have tried reading other EJH books, but found them difficult to get into.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 25-Mar-14 23:50:33

Some are less welcoming than others if you want to read something easily absorbing. Have you given Something in Disguise and Getting it Right a go? They're much easier to get into than, say, The Long View.

Gracelo Wed 26-Mar-14 10:04:32

I also started to read them based on recommendations here. Almost through the first book, love it.
I wish they would repeat the TV series.

Seeline Wed 26-Mar-14 10:05:39

I loved the books - I didn't know they'd been on telly - don't know how I missed that sad

Bunbaker Wed 26-Mar-14 10:22:32

"I wish they would repeat the TV series."

So do I

mumslife Wed 26-Mar-14 19:30:55

Absolutely love the cazalets havent seen it on tv still have the new one to read. Just read the shell seekers by rosamond pilcher another great family saga

BaconAndAvocado Wed 26-Mar-14 22:08:26

What is the first Cazalet book?

MumOfTheMoos Wed 26-Mar-14 22:11:29

I too kept hearing bits on Radio 4 and downloaded them into my kindle and raced through them last summer - even preordered the fifth one! I love them!

I'm reading another Elizabeth Jane Howard now.

wiltingfast Wed 26-Mar-14 22:15:58

I'm on the 4th! Excellent books. Thank you mumsnet!

Carriemac Wed 26-Mar-14 22:17:34

I loved them. Thanks for the recommendation whoever suggested them, not the fort of thing I would normally pick up.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 26-Mar-14 22:46:49

The first one is The Light Years, Bacon.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 27-Mar-14 18:18:54

Thank you brecon

The Cazalet chronicles are on my ever growing, and never depleting, "to read" list smile

BeeBawBabbity Sun 30-Mar-14 00:09:32

I loved them too and I'm now reading "Slipstream", her autobiography, which is just like another Cazalet book. Someone on here recommended that as well, so thanks!

EmilyAlice Sun 30-Mar-14 14:18:59

Think I might have been one of the people who recommended them and if I did, then I am very glad people have enjoyed them. I have loved them for years and they are great comfort reading for me. I have the TV adaptation on DVD, but was disappointed really. Far too much bonking (little else in episode 1) and Juliet is a blonde, which seems all wrong. They seem to have made the DVD for an American audience, so if you are not paying attention you suddenly get some old American bloke sitting by a fire explaining food rationing.
The settings are lovely, but you lose the essence of the story somehow. It finishes very abruptly because for some reason they stopped before the end.
I would love to see the TV series of Something in Disguise, which was wonderful, but doesn't seem to be available. Probably over twenty years ago now!

Lomaamina Fri 11-Apr-14 15:30:34

One of several threads on Mumsnet encouraged me to buy volume 5 and reread the whole series from the start. Utter bliss. I read them originally when they first came out, but, perhaps because I'm older, I appreciated them more this time around.

Anyway, I came back to alert you to the dramatisation on Radio 4 which started this Monday, still available via the iplayer: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zxzlp/The_Cazalets_All_Change_Episode_1/.

The narration is with the wonderful Penelope Wilton.

Rangirl Tue 15-Apr-14 22:45:32

Just finished Volume 4 Absolutely loving them

mumslife Wed 16-Apr-14 09:10:23

Loved the cazalets. Just fkt to read the fifth kne nkw

Recently read the shellseekers by rosamund pilcher which i though i had read years ago but hadnt. Loved this reminded me very much of cazalets

Has anyone read any books similar to cazalets which i could try thanks

mumslife Wed 16-Apr-14 09:11:31

Dont know what happened there lol. that is supposed to say just got to read the fifth one now

Legologgo Wed 16-Apr-14 09:11:52

I hated them. Dull middle class wankery

magimedi Wed 16-Apr-14 09:49:14

Mumslife - Try The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy.

I also loved the Cazalets - but was disappointed by the last book.

Legologgo Wed 16-Apr-14 10:09:50

you see Iloved the Forsyte ( thus disproving own criticism!) but the cazalets just nothing happened apart from people having meals and going to work

alemci Wed 16-Apr-14 20:40:40

I've just collected final one in series of Cazalets from library. it may have been me.

I've been reading EJH for years', love her books.

MorvahRising Wed 16-Apr-14 22:39:38

It may have been me too! I usually recommend them as I love them, but I second what magimedi said - the last one left me a bit disappointed.

Really glad you're enjoying them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now