the book thief thoughts please

(31 Posts)
mumslife Mon 03-Mar-14 18:57:33

Just finished reading the book thief and absolutely loved it

Loved the different way it was written with the narrator chiming in

Loved tge general quirkyness of it and the fact it kind of left me stunned and shocked

Yet reading other reviews and people hate it for all the above reasons!

What are others thoughts. I cant believe others didnt like it. Loved the characters really believable and warmed to them

What does everyone else think?

janesnowdon1 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:31:48

I am a quarter through and seriously thinking about giving up. Finding it very schmaltzy and deliberately "quirky" and not really enough happening. The plot seems pretty thin to me. However, I seem to have read a lot of books recently set around the time of WW2 that have resonated more strongly withme so maybe that has affected my view. Glad I got it for 99p on Kindle.

Campaspe Mon 03-Mar-14 20:02:39

I loved it, but I found it difficult to get into. I think its self-conscious, quirky, literary style is actually quite alienating to begin with, but after a while, the story picks up pace and you get absorbed into its power. You just have to bear with it I think and it works its magic.

Doshusallie Mon 03-Mar-14 20:04:13

I loved it and it made me cry

I loved it. Exactly what Campaspe said.

cremolafoam Mon 03-Mar-14 20:09:35

Loved it. Magical and meaningful .

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Mon 03-Mar-14 20:26:25

I loved it. My mil grew up in Germany during the war and has some tales to tell so this really resonated with me.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 04-Mar-14 11:03:29

I am half way through and loving it. I really like the way it is written.

juule Tue 04-Mar-14 11:05:30

I loved it.

MsFiremanSam Tue 04-Mar-14 11:37:57

Loved it. The ending is so beautifully written.

lu9months Tue 04-Mar-14 14:50:02

loved it, and it stands re-reading (am reading it to my 11 year old ds who is really enjoying it too)

CoteDAzur Tue 04-Mar-14 19:21:36

It is find for a teenage ends audience but I struggled to see what adults see in it tbh. Then again, adults also read chick-lit so I'm aware that not all adults share my lack of patience with shallow books.

CoteDAzur Tue 04-Mar-14 19:22:08

Teenage audience, obviously.

FuckyNell Tue 04-Mar-14 19:24:02

Dullsville

mumslife Tue 04-Mar-14 19:30:54

Hmmm mixed reviews then. Did find it difficult to get into at first then i couldnt put it down

If you like holocaust books. I can recommend sarahs key. Very good book
Also bought schindlers ark in deal of the day on kindle

Does anyone have any other holocaust books they would recommend?

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Mar-14 19:35:55

At first I liked it, but it didn't seem that special, and I wasn't particularly bothered about the characters.

Then all of a sudden I was crying and couldn't put it down. grin I don't usually cry over books.

End result, I loved it.

hackmum Tue 04-Mar-14 20:45:12

I'm afraid I disliked it intensely. I thought it was tricksy - the whole idea of having Death as a character seemed contrived and slightly overwrought to me.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 04-Mar-14 20:59:08

hackmum you gotta read some Terry Pratchett man.

Anthropomorphic personification at its finest. grin

CoteDAzur Tue 04-Mar-14 21:23:43

I would have liked Death as a character if it had anything remotely interesting to say.

Colour of this, colour of that. With juvenile "insights" and the voice of an android. Death as a moron.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 04-Mar-14 21:28:31

I hated it.
Disagree with Cote's analysis that it's because it's a teenage book (firstly, it wasn't written for teens - the publishers decided to slant it that way - and secondly, adults seem to love or hate it as much as teens so it's not like teens love it and adults don't) but agree with her description - Death isn't particularly interesting.
Above all I found it mannered rather than real; none of the characters feel convincingly three dimensional.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 04-Mar-14 21:36:22

Mumslife - not about the Holocaust as such but Lithuanians sent to Siberia in 1941 - 'Between Shades Of Grey' by Ruta Sepetys.

CoteDAzur Tue 04-Mar-14 21:36:34

Worse, if it was written for an adult audience. Then there's just no excuse.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 04-Mar-14 21:37:59

Really Cote, there would be no excuse if it had been written for teens either.
YA is not the same as 'not quite as good as adult fiction but it'll do for the teens'.

CoteDAzur Tue 04-Mar-14 21:40:33

Of course, it's not, but you would understand that a book written for teens could be simple minded and superficial, not to mention written with a 500-word vocabulary.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 04-Mar-14 21:42:19

They're not though, generally.
Teens tend to get bored with simple-minded superficial books just like grown-ups do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now